Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 02, 2010, 06:00 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,939 Posts
Thanks RC.

Those photos are from the bottom without the flaps in place. From the top you can't tell the wing is out at all - otherwise I would have noticed before this...

At the moment I am leaning towards leaving it as is because I need to get the damn thing done so I can move onto something else. I'll let myself cool down for a while before I decide finally.

The only way to fix it is to remove the entire belly pan from the wing, check the wing alignment is square then reattach the pan.

I think the wing mount holes are actually in line (because the screws are quite tight indicating there is some sideways pressure on them at the moment), and somehow when making the belly pan I bumped the wing then went ahead and constructed it, meaning the wing is held at the off angle.

I'd have to cut great holes in the bottom sheeting to try to free the formers and mounting bolt guide tubes from the bottom of the wing. If it won't affect flight too much I may just leave it because fixing it means destroying the belly pan, and potentially badly damaging the wing itself...

ARRRRGGGHHH!

If it could be done in one piece it would be OK, but I would have to section everything
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
Last edited by Gree; Feb 03, 2010 at 01:44 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2010, 06:24 AM
Limey Jeff
Glastonbury, Somerset. U.K.
Joined Mar 2009
347 Posts
Gree, I honestly think that it will have no effect on the models flight characteristics, I'm sure with your skills you'll be able to conceal the problem.

On the other hand, I have been known to completely strip an almost finished custom paint job because of a minor defect that really only I knew about!

You should by now be completely confused as to what to do!

Jeff
Jeff Glasser is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Glasser
Old Feb 03, 2010, 06:38 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,939 Posts
Yeah thanks Jeff, you had me convinced until the the last few lines :S
Old Feb 03, 2010, 10:15 AM
Progress not Perfection
Palmdale, Ca.
Joined Dec 2005
438 Posts
How bout taking off 5-6 mm from the other side?
wilscor41 is offline Find More Posts by wilscor41
Old Feb 03, 2010, 10:27 AM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,282 Posts
Gree, leave it be, man. On my PB4Y that you thought looked so nice, I dropped the fuse during painting and bent the elevator joiner. With everything assembled, I could not get it bent back straight. As it stands, when the stick is neutral, the starboard elevator is a couple of mm up and the port a couple of mm down. The important point is that it flew perfectly, no trim corrections required.

I think when we build models, we (well me anyway) get so carried away with doing it correctly, we forget that we are modelling real-world aircraft. Beat-up, patched, dirty, often poorly maintained. At a local airshow a couple of years back, there were two active service Marine F-18's. Both were missing paint, one had no fairings over the wing join, just all the bolts sticking out and there were various other missing bits. Both of them leaked fuel so badly the airport staff had several 5 gal buckets under the wings b/c the dripping avgas was damaging the fresh tarmac. And then they fired them up and made a combat take-off without blinking.

5 mm out of square will make zero difference to the flight characteristics and I can't imagine the circumstances under which someone else will be looking at the underside of your plane while holding a ruler.

This is a gorgeous build, one to be proud of. Keep rolling,

My $0.02 Jeff
jhspring is offline Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Feb 03, 2010, 11:41 AM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
803 Posts
Agree with Jeff. This is an awesome build Gree and you should be proud of it, regardless. I have been building RC planes for over twenty some years, and stick and tissue and plastic ones before that ever since I learned to open a tube of glue. I consider myself a pretty decent builder, and am amazed with the detail and workmanship you are putting into this project!!! I hope I can commit as much effort to my P-47 when its' turn comes.

Marko
rcwings is offline Find More Posts by rcwings
Old Feb 03, 2010, 03:19 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,939 Posts
Yeah I think I decided 'bugger it' last night, and will just keep going since I am close to the end. I don't think it will affect the flight either, at least nothing trim won't fix.

Thanks very much Jeff, RCwings, and Jeff for the kind words of encouragement. I guess this plane was always going to be a learning curve anyway since its my first, and I've at least learned to quadruple check alignment!

Thanks again and expect more progress shots soon!
Old Feb 03, 2010, 03:35 PM
Bitten by the scale bug
Fishers, IN
Joined Jun 2008
326 Posts
Now you've got me double guessing my alignment
Splix is offline Find More Posts by Splix
Old Feb 03, 2010, 03:38 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by splix View Post
now you've got me double guessing my alignment
good!
Old Feb 03, 2010, 06:10 PM
Bitten by the scale bug
Fishers, IN
Joined Jun 2008
326 Posts
Mine is about 1/8 of an inch off, which to me is awesome. On a plane this size, 1/8 of an inch isnt going to matter one bit.
Gree, I wouldnt worry one bit about yours. Maybe trim it out if its a bit noticable, but I bet in a year, you wont even remember about the difference.
Splix is offline Find More Posts by Splix
Old Feb 04, 2010, 11:03 AM
Limey Jeff
Glastonbury, Somerset. U.K.
Joined Mar 2009
347 Posts
So glad you've made up your mind, which I think is the correct path to follow. The other Jeff is so right, and I'm sorry to have thrown you with my last comment. lol.

Anyway, if some rivet counter/ruler carrier questions it, ask them where their model is so you can measure that. That's usually the end of the matter!

I get the same thing with my jeep at shows!!
Keep going with the excellent workmanship.
Jeff Glasser is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Glasser
Old Feb 09, 2010, 04:27 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,939 Posts
Onwards and upwards

Completing the Wing
Well like I said I sucked it up and moved forward, having learnt a valuable lesson for my next build!

I completed the fillet on the underside of the other wing. It is white because I bought new epoxy in the meantime and it dries clear (with white microballons mixed in) not yellow like the old one.

I also recessed the navigation lights and landing light positions into the wing skin. I'll make these lights out of acetate painted on the underside and epoxy them in place later. Nothing fancy but it'll do.

I also made a cockpit air intake in the leading edge of the wing. I'll make the holes for the guns a bit later before I prime the wing.

Now I just have to do a couple of small things to the fuse, glass it and move on to the front end, battery compartment and motor mount.
Old Feb 09, 2010, 04:48 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
803 Posts
Look'n great as usual Gree!
rcwings is offline Find More Posts by rcwings
Old Feb 09, 2010, 06:05 PM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,282 Posts
Sweet. Your meticulous attention to detail (like the lights) is inspiring and a little intimidating. Love the plane. J
jhspring is offline Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Feb 10, 2010, 01:34 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,939 Posts
Thanks guys. May slow a bit while I contemplate all the custom cowl bits and bobs.