Jeff
Jeff Glasser is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Glasser
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2009, 06:31 PM
Bitten by the scale bug
Fishers, IN
Joined Jun 2008
326 Posts
I'm starting my p47, i hope it turns out 1/2 as well as this one does.
Splix is offline Find More Posts by Splix
Old Nov 08, 2009, 07:08 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,941 Posts
Quote:
i hope it turns out 1/2 as well as this one does.
Don't count your chickens, I haven't finished it yet! Thanks for the compliment... I have not been able to get any work done on it for a little while, but more to come soon.

Good luck Splix. If you are doing a build thread post a link here.
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
Old Nov 12, 2009, 04:54 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,941 Posts
Ever Onward - Wing Meets Fuse

Mounting the Wing to the Fuse
Well surprise surprise, progress has been very slow of late. However I did manage to fill and sand the wing where it needed it, add and shape the wingtips, dry fit the ailerons and test-mount the wing to the fuse for the first time.

Fits great. Now the problem of finishing the plane in the space I have rears its head, but with a little judicious jiggling of the placement of my fuse stand, and a lot of dangerous wing overhang, it does still technically fit on the bench!

I am looking forward to making the belly pan next! But it will have to wait until the weekend after the coming one as I have a family commitment all weekend. One day we'll get there.

A Nice Distraction
Last weekend I went down to Temora Aviation Museum in NSW Australia for their Scale Show. It was a pretty good weekend, with some very nice planes (only ONE electric out of all of them and that was a ducted fan) and a few turbine jets. The announcer was terrible however, as he didn't explain anything to the spectators at all about the competition, who was leading, how people scored in the static and flying comps etc. It could have really boosted the event to have such comments.

I saw a really good P38, and an amazing Albatross DV (I believe) amongst others...

There was also a very sad incident. There was a very large scale black B-17 (easily 6m wingspan - in fact it was built from a Wingspan B-17 Kit) there that had only had seven flights previously (many Australians will have read about this plane and seen to featured in model magazines). $65,000 build cost it was rumoured. All was going very well, but on a fast pass I saw the right horizontal stabiliser start to vibrate, then it ripped completely off! The plane went into a vertical stall, lost speed, then went in. The biggest part left was no bigger than the size of a football. Total write off. very sad (but spectacular). We all thought he was going to recover for a while there... I have one of the last photos of this plane - taxiing out to its doom...

EDIT - I found some photos of its final seconds here: http://www.rchangout.com/forums/showthread.php?p=204646

and I found a montage here...

Last Flight of Tondalayo (2 min 26 sec)
Last edited by Gree; Mar 23, 2011 at 05:39 AM.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 03:02 PM
Joined Oct 2005
6 Posts
Keep it Going!

Gree,

I've read through the timeline of your build and I must say it is awesome. You mention several times that many of the techniques you are using are new to you, but it is obvious that you have a gift for building, a keen eye for quality and innovative workmanship, and an appreciation for those that are "good" at this great hobby.

I've been building and flying R/C airplanes for over 25 years and your work looks like you've been at it for at least that long.

I am very interested in building Top Flite's little P47 and want to use the same modification that you used with your landing gear. I sent a message to John at RCSB requesting the same template that you mentioned, but I haven't heard back from him yet. Could you share the rib template with me and perhaps PM me with that info? I would really appreciate it!

Keep up the great work! All too often we see builders post the beginning of a build only to stop in the middle of it and never hear from them again. This is certainly understandable as we all have higher priorities come up, but I hope you can stick with this build until your P47 is airborne - and keep us informed by continuing to document every step. Regardless of how long it takes to complete, I know many of us are relying on your great photos and explanations of each step. It's postings like yours that keep these sites going. Kudos to you my friend.

Glenn
tgking44 is offline Find More Posts by tgking44
Old Nov 12, 2009, 03:16 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,941 Posts
Thanks Glenn. I really appreciate the comments, and glad that I can help someone else out when I have learned so much from these forums.

Rather than PMing you the templates, I have added them here so anyone can download them, I am sure John wouldn't mind. I am in semi regular email contact with him and I know he really wants t get back to his build but hasn't managed to find the time lately. I am not sure he visits the web site much anymore.

I'll definitely finish this one - my aim is to have in completed before the end of January. I have a few other planes I really want to build so I have to complete this one! No space to do 2 at once!

One thing with the templates though - they are not exact and only use them as a starting point. For mine I seem to remember that I eventually shaved my recess deeper than the templates, giving me a fair bit of clearance from the top of the gear to the bottom wing skin - it is very tight so take it really slow. I know john had at lest 3 or 5mm less clearance than I ended up with.

Also make sure that you enlarge or reduce the scale of the file to the measurement written on it. If you print it as is is is off scale.

Once again thanks very much for chiming in, I am honoured to have been your first post... (hmmm that didn't sound weird at all did it!?) :P
Old Nov 12, 2009, 03:59 PM
Joined Oct 2005
6 Posts
Fantastic!! Thanks for posting the template. I have a feeling others will appreciate it as well.

As for my first post on RCG, it's been a while since I was told I was their first

I know first hand about the challenge of customizing a retract install. Take a look at the first page in this posting and you'll see I recently struggled with the retract install of a completely scratch built La-7 (be sure to look at all of the pages to see the finished product because had I started posting after I was half finished with the build): http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_80...tm.htm#8025441

I finally had to ditch the custom Glennis wheels to make the retracts fit. I was bummed about that, but pleased with how it turned out in the end.

Thanks again and I'll be watching,
Glenn
Old Nov 13, 2009, 02:48 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,941 Posts
Good god man that LA7 is amazing! Great work! I hope you'll chip in and help me out when it comes to detailing - I just bought an airbrush (no compressor yet!) and tips on painting when its time would be appreciated. Any video of a flight?
Old Nov 13, 2009, 10:20 AM
Joined Oct 2005
6 Posts
Would be more than happy to share my experience with the glass finish and paint with you. I've painted several and we all have our own tried and true (and not so tried and true) techniques. It was tedious and time consuming, but a thrill watching it come to life. To me, surface textures and weathering makes all the difference in scale.

No video of the La-7. It actually hasn't even been flown yet. I had a lot of issues with the new engine - it had to be sent in for warranty repair. I just recently got it re-installed and will be test running it soon. I will definitely get the maiden flight on video.

Glenn
Old Nov 17, 2009, 04:02 PM
swede
United States, UT, Vineyard
Joined Aug 2005
3,846 Posts
I just got finished going through your build thread. All I can say is, Wow! You do some very nice work. I'm almost embarrassed to have you look at my conversion.

The scale details you are putting into this is quite phenomenal. I wish I had that kind of talent. Very nice work indeed.
denial15 is offline Find More Posts by denial15
Old Nov 18, 2009, 02:47 PM
Bitten by the scale bug
Fishers, IN
Joined Jun 2008
326 Posts
Sorry if you've already stated, but what servo do you plan on using?
Old Nov 18, 2009, 03:30 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by denial15 View Post
I just got finished going through your build thread. All I can say is, Wow! You do some very nice work. I'm almost embarrassed to have you look at my conversion.

The scale details you are putting into this is quite phenomenal. I wish I had that kind of talent. Very nice work indeed.
Thanks, but I know it won't turn out anything like I envision it when its done. I am getting a little tired of the build actually, it has taken nearly 2 years to get to this point because of all the mods I have done. Just want to get it done now so I can start something else!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splix View Post
Sorry if you've already stated, but what servo do you plan on using?
NOt sure if I mentioned it but I am using Spektrum DS821 digital servos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgking44 View Post
Would be more than happy to share my experience with the glass finish and paint with you. I've painted several and we all have our own tried and true (and not so tried and true) techniques. It was tedious and time consuming, but a thrill watching it come to life. To me, surface textures and weathering makes all the difference in scale.

No video of the La-7. It actually hasn't even been flown yet. I had a lot of issues with the new engine - it had to be sent in for warranty repair. I just recently got it re-installed and will be test running it soon. I will definitely get the maiden flight on video.

Glenn
Thanks Glenn, make sure you post a video when you're done and let me know on here - would love to see it. Hopefully glass and paint should not be too far off for me. I want to try to have the plane finished before I go back to work in mid January (still AT work right now until late December).
Old Nov 19, 2009, 08:29 AM
Joined Oct 2005
6 Posts
Gree,

I know how exhausting it can be to work on a project for so long, especially when you have other projects waiting that have captured your interest... BUT, you must remember all the work you've put into it to this point and as I said before: the painting will make it come alive and really emphasize all that hard work! Don't give up now! Know that painting is completely different than building, so it'll be refreshing to do something different to it. Believe me, you'll regret it if you rushed the painting. It is truly the icing on the cake.

You have many people eager to see this to the end, continuing the quality you've shown throughout each step. This is exactly why great quality scale birds are so rare and appreciated. If it was easy, everyone would do it and we wouldn't have any ARFs.

It would be disappointing (for us and yourself) to see the quality suffer in haste of getting it finished. When it is finished, you'll be glad you endured the frustration and remained patient. Hang in there!!

Glenn
Old Nov 19, 2009, 02:27 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,941 Posts
Wow Glenn, thanks for the great pep talk, but don't worry I had no intention of givng up. Painting is my favourite part and I'm looking forward to it! I guess I am just getting a bit impatient, but you're right I'll try not to rush it...

I already have the silver paint I am going to use (very metal-like), and all the stencils and nomenclature from Get Stencils. Should be fun.

I have just bought an airbrush so am looking forward to trying that. All my previous painting has been with a brush. Some examples below...
Last edited by Gree; Nov 19, 2009 at 03:02 PM. Reason: adding pictures
Old Nov 19, 2009, 05:37 PM
Bitten by the scale bug
Fishers, IN
Joined Jun 2008
326 Posts
I cant paint for $h!t, I'm screwed lol