HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 14, 2009, 08:38 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,954 Posts
Thanks RCWings. Unfortunately, work, PhD and wanting to spend time with my wife have pushed the '47 into the background for a while, but I see light at the end of the tunnel in a bit and hope to crack on with it soon. I have nearly finished the landing gear doors and it works well so far. I'll post more when I get the entire door system up and running, then things should get a lot easier. So much time goes into modifying things that's for sure!
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2009, 09:06 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,954 Posts
Well I reached a bit of a milestone today and got the main geardoors all working. I'll post some detail pictures and a video sometime soon this week when I get a chance, but I just wanted to post some kind of process on this thread, in case anyone out there still remembers this build.

The door delay device works very well (once I worked out how to program it!), it even staggers the inner doors a bit when opening and closing. Very cool.

Anyway feels good to get over this part, it was a massive mental and motvational block for me for some reason, but in the end it wasn't actually that hard. Anyway pictures just around the corner.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 09:58 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,954 Posts
Gear Doors Finished And Working!

Finally!
It feels good to get something done regarding the gear doors after such a long break from building...

Lower Gear Doors
I managed to follow my sketches for attaching the lower gear doors and it worked out pretty much exactly as I had hoped. I used some brass strip and bent it around the lower strut, fixing it in place with a small bolt. This easily allows a lot of fine adjustment to how the door sits against the wing skin. To allow upward movement when the suspension moves, I made a bracket from some PVC material that just fits over the strut. This is screwed to the top of the lower gear door, and moves smoothly up and down the strut.

Inner Gear Doors
I took a long time thinking about how to make this mechanism. It was a real mental blocker because it just seemed too hard. But when I started it wasn't too bad after all. I mounted some micro servos on the inside of each wheel well door, and cut a small notch on the wall to allow a control rod to pass from the servo to a home made mounting bracket on the front of the door.

Later after I have built more of the plane I will come back and detail the inside of all the gear doors to match the wheel wells...

Door Sequencer and Testing!
I can't say enough about the Wingspan Models gear door sequencer I bought. It is a really amazing piece of equipment, and will allow me completely worry free and realistic operation of the gear doors.

Just to remind everyone, I went with the optional magnetic gear up sensor, which will only allow the inner gear doors to close when both gear are fully up. No worries about slow retract speeds or decreasing air pressure ruining the timing and having doors close before the gear comes up!

For this test the magnets are sitting on the gear struts and the wire sensors only taped in place. I will mount these permanently later. Best thing is once you program it all (which can take some time!) it works flawlessly, and the inner doors even retract at slightly different times!

This little unit also has a place to plug in landing lights that come on automatically when the gear is lowered - so I am currently resisting the temptation to install a working swing down landing light under the wing!

Here are the test videos - as you can see the left doors are aligning pretty well, and the right ones still need some fine tuning to sit exactly flush - why i didn't focus the filming on the good doors I don't know! But they will sit flush or I wouldn't be a happy camper - all the linkages are adjustable so no problem there...

I was showing my wife the doors when I was filming it - she is so freaking cute! Have a listen - she gives a nice running commentary throughout!

Make sure you watch in HD!
P47 Gear door test 1 (0 min 32 sec)

EDIT - the video below wasn't working - now it is. It shows the beter adjusted door so please watch!
P47 Gear door test 2 (0 min 46 sec)
Last edited by Gree; Sep 22, 2009 at 06:40 PM. Reason: second youtube video wasn't working
Old Sep 22, 2009, 10:05 AM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
837 Posts
Excellent Gree!!! The commentary is pretty funny!
rcwings is offline Find More Posts by rcwings
Old Sep 22, 2009, 10:49 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,954 Posts
Yeah it was hilarious at the time, I just had to leave the comments In there!
Last edited by Gree; Sep 29, 2009 at 02:54 AM.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 11:18 AM
Ustabee supported Unabomber
Ustabee supported Unabomber
Joined Sep 2006
1,192 Posts
Awesome gree. Just awesome!
countrygentleman is offline Find More Posts by countrygentleman
Old Sep 22, 2009, 03:55 PM
Limey Jeff
Glastonbury, Somerset. U.K.
Joined Mar 2009
347 Posts
Well, I think you're a genius Gree, even if your better half questions it. WE all know you'll adjust things later.
Whenever I try stuff like this every thing jams up for the first few tries!
Jeff Glasser is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Glasser
Old Sep 24, 2009, 05:24 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,954 Posts
Thanks guys, but I think genius is a bit strong! But what the hell I'll take it!

Feeling motivated again so hopefully can finish this thing by the end of the year now. Seriously tempted by the new wowplanes giant B26. Argh this is a terrible addiction!

Also waiting on a full set of fpv gear for a second hand easystar I bought. Can't wait for that one but it will again delay this build a bit... We'll get there!
Last edited by Gree; Sep 24, 2009 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Fat fingers on small iPhone keypad
Old Sep 25, 2009, 11:38 AM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,594 Posts
Wow, really nice work, Gree. Good to see you back. I have the devil's own time with retract set-ups, so your step-by-step photos are really helpful. Thanks for sharing them.

Jeff
jhspring is offline Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Sep 29, 2009, 06:05 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,954 Posts
Wing Is Sheeted!

You Mean I Have to Cover all that Work Over!?
Well we're moving now!

The wing is sheeted and I am gearing up to cut the ailerons and flaps free. Feels good to be moving forward. All that hard work inside the wing is now covered up forever. I shed a silent tear before I began working.

I cut out the spent ammo chutes under the wing and glued some thin styrene inside. I also FORGOT to cut out the shapes for the landing and navigation lights! DUH! So looks like I will probably take a simpler route when replicating them - they won't be functional anyway.

Whoops Again...
After I had sheeted the front section of one wing I realised I had forgotten to put the floor if the wheel well in that sits under the retract. Stupid! So only one thing for it and I got out my knife and cut up my beautiful new sheeting so I could install a piece of painted styrene. Then I re-sheeted the area. Oh well it'll be covered up anyway. But live and learn I remembered to glue this part in first on the other wing when it came time to sheet it.

Servos all Working
All the wiring was of course completed, and the servos work well. For some very weird reason I cannot explain, all of a sudden my Hyperion servo slow now works with my digital Spektrum servos, where before when I was testing the mock up of an inner gear door the servo would stop working after a very short time (See post 157). I tested the buggery out of them and all A-OK. So I am very happy about this. Will finish up the aileron linkages a little later.

Nothing else too exciting so I'll let the pictures do most of the talking.
Last edited by Gree; Sep 29, 2009 at 06:23 AM.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 07:42 AM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,594 Posts
Nice work as usual, Gree. This is going to be a stunner at the field. Jeff
jhspring is offline Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Sep 29, 2009, 08:05 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,954 Posts
I have to find a field first Jeff!

Thanks though! Appreciate the comments.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 08:45 AM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
837 Posts
Excellent work Gree! You are motivating me to finish up my current projects to make room for the Jug!
rcwings is offline Find More Posts by rcwings
Old Sep 29, 2009, 09:10 AM
WAA-08 Survivor
Joined May 2004
2,646 Posts
What a great build thread!

Thanks for letting us enjoy the build with you, without having to do all the work!

One thought--at some point, maybe the maiden, you have got to post a thread and link over in the scale forum. I bet many of those guys interested in the build don't ever visit the conversion forum, as it mostly is about guys going on for decades about "what motor should I use"

Thanks again for great thread,
steve
Griffin is offline Find More Posts by Griffin
Old Sep 29, 2009, 06:32 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,954 Posts
RCWings - funny, I'm motivated to finish this build so I can start other projects! Thanks for the comments though. Hopefully things will move a bit faster now. I am getting as much done in a little lull in my study while waiting for my supervisor to read my latest draft, and am enjoying guilt free building!

Steve - thanks to you too. Yes I have often wondered if I put this build in the right thread. Thanks fir the advice I may do that when the time comes.