Old Jun 01, 2009, 08:21 AM
Limey Jeff
Glastonbury, Somerset. U.K.
Joined Mar 2009
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugjock
Hey Jeff,
I've been a bit tardy on reviewing this thread lately, but is that a half-finished little Stearman in the picture you posted back in Post 196? Did you ever finish her?
Well spotted Jugjock, yep, did finish it, but as yet unflown. A combination of crap English weather and time! ( that's my excuse anyway!!) I'm sure it will fly. ( then, so will a house brick if thrown hard enough! ) It's a modified for e-flight Guillows kit.

With apologies to Gree, heres a couple of pics'

Jeff
Jeff Glasser is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Glasser
Old Jun 01, 2009, 09:20 PM
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2004
908 Posts
Marvelous job on the Stearman, Jeff! The extra detailing is really superb - engine valve stems; exhaust pipes; metal sheeting on the forward fuselage; cockpit combing; and especially the "student pilot."
To avoid hijacking the tread, would you mind answering some questions via email? I'll send you a PM.

Chris
Jugjock is offline Find More Posts by Jugjock
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 01, 2009, 09:49 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,941 Posts
Don't want to finish mine off do you?
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
Old Jun 02, 2009, 08:45 AM
Limey Jeff
Joined Mar 2009
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugjock
Marvelous job on the Stearman, Jeff! The extra detailing is really superb - engine valve stems; exhaust pipes; metal sheeting on the forward fuselage; cockpit combing; and especially the "student pilot."
To avoid hijacking the tread, would you mind answering some questions via email? I'll send you a PM.

Chris
Thanks jugjock, I've just looked at your build thread and I wish I'd knocked off a few of your ideas!
Sadly,I did'nt know about this site then!

Sure Gree, I'll come on out to sunny Oz, stay a while, bash the model together, and bleed your hospitality! Take it from me mate, you do'nt need me to finish your models.
I'll get my niece who's just arrived in Sydney, to pop round and nail it together for you, I'm sure she'll do a better job than the terrible cock up you're making of that P.47! Call yourself an aeromodeler, where's all the spilt glue, mountains of wasted balsa, and blood stains up the walls from hacking into your fingers?

Jeff
Last edited by Jeff Glasser; Jun 02, 2009 at 08:58 AM.
Old Jun 02, 2009, 09:07 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,941 Posts
Hmm you've got me confused now Jeff. I can't remember mentioning my zero on here - the new one anyway. You're not psychic are you? Of course this does not mean I have forgotten I mentioned it!

I put together a CMP Zero a while ago, and on its third flight stalled it into the ground from about 20 meters up because I was trying to land in an area that was way too small - DUH!

Very load noise as it hit bitumen. One wing entirely disintegrated - I mean I could not find the bits they were smashed into pieces so small! The fuse is cracked in several places but is repairable. I may build a new wing for it one day of my own design (including flaps which this model desperately needs!) but I can't see that happening for a while with the pace I build.

I recently bought another airframe because the cost of the replacement parts was more than I originally paid for the kit on ebay! I am in the process of putting all my gear from the dead zero into it to try again - but putting a smaller more appropriate electric motor into it, and trying to keep the weight down. I am NOT detailing this new one in any way whatsoever (just in case). It is only meant as something to get me familiar with flying bigger planes before I attempt to fly this one!

Lesson learned though, never fly somewhere you know is too small. Obvious really but you know you alwyas second guess yourself and think it will be OK. Never is though... Always trust the 'ol gut.

The actual flights I had on my old one were really good - amazing how differently larger planes actually feel compared to my foam parkflyers which is all I have flown previously...
Last edited by Gree; Jun 02, 2009 at 09:38 AM. Reason: added pictures
Old Jun 02, 2009, 09:08 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,941 Posts
By the way I don't envisage any progress on the '47 for about a month, as I am going to the UK for business then holiday for about 3 weeks soon. Maybe a house swap Jeff? :P
Old Jun 02, 2009, 09:49 AM
Limey Jeff
Joined Mar 2009
347 Posts
If I swapped house mate, you'd struggle to get me back to this country, It's about as f****d as your Zero at the moment. Still, it's nice to know the country's being ripped off by professionals!

Sorry about the spooky reference to a Zero, I had a brain storm momentarily and got you mixed up with another guy. You must have answered it before I had a chance to edit it.

I do'nt know if I can handle not having an update with your P.47 build, I'll just have to start something of my own.

Jeff
Old Jun 27, 2009, 04:34 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,941 Posts
P47 in the Flesh

Am still on holidays in the UK at the moment, but took time out to travel to Duxford to visit the Imperial War Museum there [http://duxford.iwm.org.uk/]. If you have not been and you like planes you definitely should go! So many warbirds it is not funny!

They also let you walk through a hangar where the Aircraft Restoration Company [http://www.arc-duxford.co.uk/] are actually restoring planes. I found a P47 razorback being worked on and began taking detail photos from behind the rope. The guy working on the plane (Martin) actually called me in and let me inside the work area! We talked for a good half hour (he also flies RC) and I was able to see a lot of detail on the amazing work in progress!

He answered a lot of questions and I was able to see how many aspects of the plane worked - such as the inner gear doors etc. He even let me climb up into the cockpit!

A big thanks to Martin! An amazing experience!!

I have over 250 photos from the day but here are a few P47 related ones to enjoy...
Last edited by Gree; Jun 27, 2009 at 04:40 AM.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 06:10 AM
Limey Jeff
Joined Mar 2009
347 Posts
Great pics' gree, Yeah, Duxford must be one of the finest working museums in the world. So many wonderful toys!
My pal and I would try and get to the 'Flying Legends Airshow' every year. The memory of seeing around 40 'Warbirds' in the air at the same time is something that will never leave me.

Where else are you going in England?

Jeff
Old Jun 27, 2009, 10:00 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,941 Posts
We just came back to London from a few days in Cornwall - Padstow in particular. Off to Rome for a few days then back home to get back to work on the '47 (oh and work of course...).

I was really ticked that I was a month early for the flying legends show... Looks amazing. I did get to see some of the planes that would be flying though. Ah well maybe next year...
Old Jun 27, 2009, 01:32 PM
Limey Jeff
Joined Mar 2009
347 Posts
Shame Gree, you could have called in for a cuppa, you probably passed only a few miles from me going to or from Cornwall!
I think in the last two years they've calmed the Duxford flying displays down a bit. Maybe to having a couple of very sad losses. I'm glad I saw and heard them back then.
I do'nt think there's anything that will put a shiver down your spine like the sound of a bunch of P.51's diving on the airfield with that distinctive whistle! ( gun ports ?)
They were flown like they should be flown, and by the best display pilots.
Enjoy the rest of your stay. My neice has arrived in Sydney, I'll get her to burgle your place while your away!!

Later mate,

Jeff
Old Jun 27, 2009, 02:25 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,941 Posts
I just saw you are in Glastonbury. We stopped there to take in the Tor. Wow small world!

I was thinking when we finally got to the top of the Tor it would be great to fly from up there!
Old Jul 19, 2009, 09:30 PM
Nelson New Zealand
Joined Apr 2009
12 Posts
Hi Gree,
I'm just over the ditch from you in Nelson & just about to start a TF P-47.
I want to do the scale thing - John (flight 21) - has mailed me his U/C templates but am having problems getting my head around the scale hinging. You gave a very good set of photos how your did your rudder top but nobody has said anything about doing a bottom hinge as there is no offset there. You cannot just put a hinge where the bottom of the rudder touches the fuse as when moved right or left the rudder would try to twist as the pivot point for teh bottom is different from the top. Can you or anybody watching put me out of my misery please!!!
Thanks,
Phil
nzphil is offline Find More Posts by nzphil
Old Jul 19, 2009, 09:42 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,941 Posts
Hi Phil.

I know exactly what you mean with this. I was simply going to put one of the stock hinges that came with the kit in there, but now you mention it this might not work unless you follow the hinge line of the actual plane. The line on which the hinges pivot on the real plane (according to the research I have) indicates that the pivot line tapers in as it goes down, meaning you could add a recessed hinge at the bottom. It just means you have to get your hinge geometry right...

You'll see though that it seems that the real plane did not use a bottom hinge. But I could be mistaken. See this diagram...