HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2003, 02:06 PM
Brantley, Al about 65 miles due south of Montgomery
Joined Jan 2003
143 Posts
T-Hawk vrs Freedom Flyer

I want to buy a parkflyer. I have a 13 acre hay field in front of the house. I live in the boonies. I have read as much as I can about the T-Hawk and was about to decide on one until I found the Freedom Flyer. I called them and it uses the same wing, motor and radio as the T-Hawk, also the extra wing, tail and 3 props. 3-Channel. Some things different. A 2-Part fuselage, easy access servos, folding prop. Now I'm torn between the 2.
Can anybody give me a review on the Freedom Flyer? http://electronics4u.zoovy.com/product/FF380

I have tried in the past to fly without much success on and off over the last 10 years. I have a 2 meter Electrico Soar which I crashed and broke off the tail and don't want to fly it again until I know how. I also have a foam glider and 2nd glider (plastic) both 2 meter and built up wing from a balsa glider I built and wrecked except the wing. (The high start is a pain), all the wings are good. I have 4.
I want the T-Hawk or Freedom Flyer to learn with. There are no instructors or flying field anywhere close to me. My old radio is an old 75mhz Circus with 1.6oz servos. I figured after I learned Id buy a decent radio next. attached picture is the freedom flyer
larryw is offline Find More Posts by larryw
Last edited by larryw; Jan 16, 2003 at 02:10 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2003, 02:12 PM
Joined Jan 2003
143 Posts
fredom flyer

picture of the Freedom Flyer
Old Jan 16, 2003, 04:01 PM
Atlanta
Joined Jun 2002
776 Posts
i have a t-hawk! both freedom flyer are good, but the only reason i would recommend t-hawk over the freedom flyer is because of the propeller location of t-hawk which is at the back.

to be very truitful id say u spend an extra few bucks and get a better radio for the T-HAWK! its an excellent plane i dont know why people over here dont talk about it. i installed my own radio, because the stock radio glitches a lot and not only this, u also wont have throttle control with the stock radio. its worth the extra bucks. and if ur asking about the durability, then u can take my words! "hell durable", hit twiced onto the pole, nothing happened to the plane but the receiver crystle got burnt (my own radio). it will take the beginners abuse!

id recommend hitech focus 3ss standard radio which is available at towerhobbies.com for only 63 dollors. so 120 dollors T-hawk without the radio + HITEC radio = FUN.

OOPS did i tell u T-hawk is a great aerobatic plane. it can do loops rolls inverted. but dont try it before u get used to it!

have fun T-hawk is a way to go
someone special is offline Find More Posts by someone special
Old Jan 16, 2003, 04:11 PM
Dax
There is no spoon
Vancouver BC Canada
Joined Aug 2002
1,016 Posts
I would say t-hawk aswell

BUT

if you have a glider then you must have a radio already?

If you already have a radio then forget the cheep 'toy' planes because you can't 'upgrade' to a better plane later (toy planes use 27mhz radio, all real RC planes use 72Mhz)

Buy a GWS beaver, I self taught myself to fly using it, it works great and is easy to fly. Plane and motor cost me $80CDN
Dax is offline Find More Posts by Dax
Old Jan 16, 2003, 04:12 PM
Joined Jan 2003
143 Posts
since the prope folds, I wasnt too worried about it. I was also interested in the ease to change out the servos and radio in the flyer as opposed to the T-Hawk. Just how hard is it to change them out in the T-Hawk?
Old Jan 16, 2003, 04:17 PM
Atlanta
Joined Jun 2002
776 Posts
all the internal eqiupment can be removed very easily. GWS is a nice plane but u tell me is it as durable as the T-hawk???? so one bad crash it will be in million pieces! u can look at the slowtick if u want. nice plane. but as for ur Question go for the T-hawk with the hitec radio.
someone special is offline Find More Posts by someone special
Old Jan 16, 2003, 04:36 PM
Joined Jan 2003
143 Posts
As I said in my post I have an old 75mhz Circus NOT Cirus 4 channel radio, with receiver and 1.6oz servos. The receiver weighs about the same. I already have a good electric glider. I can still use that radio with the Electrosoar.

I want the T-Hawk or Flyer to LEARN to fly, which means CRASH a lot, and have some fun. When I learn to fly it, THEN if necessary I will get a good radio/receiver and micro servos. Since the T-Hawk is only $15 cheaper without the radio, I dont see the point in not getting it with the radio.

However I would like to hear from someone that has the Freedom Flyer

thanks
Old Jan 16, 2003, 05:01 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jan 2003
100 Posts
Since you have a glider already you should forget both of those and get a Slow Stick.
BillK is offline Find More Posts by BillK
Old Jan 16, 2003, 05:02 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
I'd recommend the Thawk, Aerobird, or the like, due to the design of a pusher vs a tractor. With the prop out front, you're asking for trouble while learning. Lots of folks have learned how to crash, repair, crash, repair, and eventually fly... using the FireBird XL, which is only 2 channel. Now that the 3 channel planes are out in this configuration, they will make it much easier to fly and to transfer the knowledge to the next model.

As far as ease of flight, however, the SlowStick is much easier to fly, slower, so you have more time to react and correct for wrong inputs, etc. However, it is more expensive, by the time you get all the gear. You could use the rx you have, and maybe the servos. The rest would be easy to fill in. If you want help costing it out, get ahold of Perry at www.aeromicro.com , He's a straight shooter, and will get you going.

I agree with SS, if you go for the Thawk, plan on replacing the radio, maybe once you're comfortable. Maybe you will just need to swap in the rx you have, if it'll fit. The Thawk throttle is on/off, I believe, so you may want more control.
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Jan 17, 2003, 12:04 AM
Joined Jan 2003
143 Posts
Someone special:
LXRT18** Hitec Focus 3 SS 3-Channel FM/2 HS-55 72MHz
Accessories Needed
89.99 Discontinued

That radio at Tower Hobbies was $90 and is discontinued.

How difficult is it to replace the receiver in the T-Hawk? What size is the receiver? What must be done to make the motor variable speed?
I may use my 75mhz receiver and 4 ch transmitter.
thanks
Old Jan 17, 2003, 08:38 AM
Yukon, OK
Joined Apr 2002
267 Posts
I replied to your question in "another forum". My advice there stands.

However, if you're dead set on one of these two, get the T-Hawk. Also check out the Areobird (almost like a T-hawk, but aleady has proportional throttle).

As I said before, there's something about a bellylander that thas the prop out in front that hits FIRST that goes against common sense.... Forget the Freedom Flyer.

Goofup
goofup is offline Find More Posts by goofup
Last edited by goofup; Jan 17, 2003 at 08:45 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2003, 11:48 AM
Joined Jan 2003
143 Posts
I had originally rejected the aerobird because of this " Not recommended for first-timers, the Aerobird is the perfect step up for any pilot experienced in flying the Firebird or any other 2-channel airplane. The Aerobird allows these pilots to try their hand at exciting new maneuvers, paving the way to make the transition to more complex 4-channel or greater planes. For those who already fly RC airplanes with 3 or more channels, the Aerobird is a fantastic way to get a flying fix just about anywhere, anytime"

I like the looks of the Tiger moth but you said in both posts "there's something about a bellylander that thas the prop out in front that hits FIRST that goes against common sense" Yet suggested 2 planes with nose props.
I answered in the other post I have to belly land in a hay field, theres no other way. Theres lots of open fields, woods and thermals here.
I suppose that the T-Hawk would be the best for now, If I can fit my receiver in it.

I do value your input though. Thats why I posted to find someone to shoot holes in my theorys, which I didnt do when I bought first a high start 2 meter glider then the electrosoar 2 meter and still dont know how to fly.
Old Dec 24, 2004, 12:54 PM
Joined Nov 2004
44 Posts
larryw , go with the t-hawk , i (was) a first time pilot when i got mine, now i can fly with the best of them , the t-hawk is a great self trainer, very durable, can handle strong winds , they say 15 mph on the box , but i was 20-25mph, and as also mentioned that its a pusher vs puller ,that helps alot, when you nose it in... since i have had mine 2 months now, 3 people that have seen me fly have bought there self one . and yes the wings do look the same, maybe for contrast i will put that wing on my t-hawk, well take care happy chosing
Mr.PEZO is offline Find More Posts by Mr.PEZO
Old Dec 24, 2004, 01:54 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
Here's my vote and recommendation for the T-Hawk. Some possible confusion concerning the radio and throttle control on the radio supplied with the T-Hawk: there IS throttle control, via the slider control on the back side of the transmitter. It may not have the resolution that a regular 72Mhz radio has, but I have found it to be perfectly workable. As a complete packge deal, the T-Hawk is hard to beat. As a trainer, it can take some significant abuse. However, it is NOT the most forgiving trainer. Make your turns as flat and easy as possible, to minimize partial tip stall/roll tendency.

Radio is indeed one of the 27 Mhz varieties, but at least it is FM, versus AM.

The only modifications I have made to my T-Hawk was replacing the stock motor with a TrickRC reverse wound Speed 400, and relocating the control wire connection to the control horns, to get more response from rudder and elevator. 125 flights over the last 6 months, and this plane is one of 14 in the fleet. A few rough landings, one or two dorks into the ground, and one MAJOR high speed lawn dart incident. Spares supplied with the plane put it back into action the next day.

One last note: forget the landing gear, it is a waste of effort. Learn to belly land, smoothly, you will be much the better for it with other planes.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Doug Sipprell; Dec 26, 2004 at 10:51 AM. Reason: grammar correction
Old Dec 25, 2004, 11:09 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,937 Posts
Hmmmm..... that Freedom Flyer (which is NOT the Megatech plane of the same name) does appear to share lots of components with the T-Hawk. It also looks like access to the servos and receiver are better than in the T-Hawk. At similar weight it should fly very similarly to the T-Hawk (fast, but stable and reasonably responsive).

One plus of the tractor prop arrangement is more room to experiment with other power systems while not being so limited in prop diameter.

The servos are the same ones as Hobby People sell (our used to) as CS-09s. The receiver works reasonbly well. My T-Hawk is glitchy in one park which is near some high voltage power lines but is fine at other sites.

One thing for the T-Hawk folks (readytoflyfun.com) - they support their products well and are responsive to questions and queries. I have no idea about "electronics4u.zoovy.com"

I made a better landing gear for my T-Hawk (and the company is working on a better one as well). I agree with Doug's comments about gear supplied. Throw it away.
BEC is online now Find More Posts by BEC