HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 07, 2008, 03:19 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2002
6,295 Posts
Build Log
Yak30"

Ok here is the first Look at my 9mm EPP yak30" Plane was inspired by Gene Bonds Yak45 I found the PDF online and modified it Slightly to work with 9mm EPP foam.

I have had such great look with my Slofly28" superslow I saw this plane and decided to see if I can bring her in at the same weight if so I sould have the perfect setup using a UH 1700 24 gram outrunner turning a APC 8.38 prop using a castle creations thunderbird 10 esc and 4 channel GWS receiver 3 small 5 gram servos, some dubro control rods and horns a little straping tape some carbon rods in the fuselage and wings and stabs. a plastic Motor mount from UH.

Here are the first Looks! Check out big rudder.

I forgot I wanted to send a shout out to all my friends at

http://rcskyflyer.com

They offer EPP foam per the sheet no Min order is required and they also have builder packages for sell (Fast shipping is always good too.)
tallflyer is offline Find More Posts by tallflyer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by tallflyer; May 09, 2008 at 08:06 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2008, 03:33 PM
Planes are cool ;)
Bath, UK
Joined Dec 2006
756 Posts
Looks nice, any plans for decoration? Should fly well with the big ele/rudder

Hugh
Hughbert is offline Find More Posts by Hughbert
Old May 07, 2008, 03:42 PM
Joined Jul 2002
6,295 Posts
I'm working on that as we speak!
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition
Old May 07, 2008, 03:43 PM
Planes are cool ;)
Bath, UK
Joined Dec 2006
756 Posts
Pics when you're done, please

Hugh
Hughbert is offline Find More Posts by Hughbert
Old May 07, 2008, 04:11 PM
Joined Jul 2002
6,295 Posts
Pictures

I'm going to take a ton of pictures of this build just so I can share any tips or tricks I have learned while building EPP kits

In the next couple of pictures you see the method I use to install the carbon rods.

A dremel makes it fast and clean.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by tallflyer; May 08, 2008 at 07:54 AM.
Old May 07, 2008, 11:52 PM
LaSalle, Illinois
Joined Sep 2007
476 Posts
Looks good so far! I've just recently finished building Gene's Yak, also using 9mm EPP that I scaled down to 28" (for the same reason you stated). Just received my order from HobbyCity, so I'm hoping to get a maiden sometime this weekend. Can't wait to see how you make out with yours.

Sterling
yardboz1 is offline Find More Posts by yardboz1
Old May 08, 2008, 03:13 PM
Joined May 2007
363 Posts
Hey! I'm glad someone posted this. I've been waiting for some other photos. I have been staring at the plans for a while and just cut out the plans last night (scissors/paper/glue stick.. seems like kindergarten!) I like that you showed the Dremel part with the router attachment, I actually just got one of those for Christmas.. now I can put it to use! I decided to do the 36" version and use 9mm EPP for the fuse and the wings. However, I might use some 6mm EPP I have on the wings to keep the weight down.

I'm unsure how I'm going to cut out the EPP pieces.. thinking soldering iron and some straight copper wire then free-handing it around the marks from the paper templates.

What did you modify on yours? Looks like a bigger rudder. Anything else?

I've been wondering what size carbon rod/tubes I should use. I think I'll do a pair of 3mm rods (or tubes?) down the fuselage length. It is interesting you braced the horiz stab, I might try that too. I was planning on bracing the elevator but thought the stab would be short enough I could get away without bracing.

Before you attach your controls, someone showed me a cool way they used:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=1777153

I think I might try it. He also put the carbon rods right into the dubro ez connectors on the servos, drilling out the holes in the dubro ez connectors. No piano wire there!

This is my first scratchbuild, so I'm wondering all kinds of newbie thoughts!
mrbubbs is offline Find More Posts by mrbubbs
Old May 08, 2008, 09:34 PM
Joined Jul 2002
6,295 Posts
mrbubbs

I made the fuselage about 1" longer then the plans After looking at the rudder I'm going to make it more scale shave off about 1-1/2 inch

The carbon thing I have see used before but putting the tube through a ez connector is not a good idea as the preasure of screwing it tight will break the carbon and then your done.

ASK me how I know.

there is nothing wrong with using Dubro control rods they weigh nothing. and yes the E-Z connectors make it a snap to adjust.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 08, 2008, 10:08 PM
USA, CA, San Carlos
Joined Nov 2007
1,332 Posts
Use some thin CA on the CF rods and they will be rock solid.

- Jeff
jkarnacki is offline Find More Posts by jkarnacki
Old May 08, 2008, 11:03 PM
LaSalle, Illinois
Joined Sep 2007
476 Posts
mrbubbs
I used 4 pcs of 1mm cf, 2 on each side of fuse above and below the wing (ala SloFly) and it's amazing how much it stiffens it up. 3mm tube on wing, elevator and stab. All held in with the new White Gorilla glue.
Tallflyer,
Anxiously awaiting to see where you place servos. Have been pondering the placement of them, so really glad you've posted this. Always nice being able to follow someone with lots more experience than I have.
yardboz1 is offline Find More Posts by yardboz1
Old May 09, 2008, 04:07 AM
Joined May 2007
363 Posts
Thanks for the info. I noticed you left the carbon rod longer in the front. Is that going to be cutoff or used so on impact it hits first before the foam?

Also, I asked on IRC about CF rod vs. CF tube and everyone seemed to agree the tube was the way to go, more strength, lighter. I wasn't sure where CF rod would be used over tube, though.

How did you cut out your foam pieces? Knife, jigsaw, hot wire, or ... ?

Keep the pics coming, they are great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallflyer
mrbubbs

I made the fuselage about 1" longer then the plans After looking at the rudder I'm going to make it more scale shave off about 1-1/2 inch

The carbon thing I have see used before but putting the tube through a ez connector is not a good idea as the preasure of screwing it tight will break the carbon and then your done.

ASK me how I know.

there is nothing wrong with using Dubro control rods they weigh nothing. and yes the E-Z connectors make it a snap to adjust.
Old May 09, 2008, 04:12 AM
Joined May 2007
363 Posts
Did you embed the CF on each side or just attach to the outside of the foam on each side? I would assume embed as that's all I ever seem to see for mounting CF reinforcement.

I'm going to try to use my elevator and rudder servos as close to the rear of the fuse as I can for shorter control rod lengths. Similar to what Gene Bond shows in his Yak 30" thread.

I've heard about the diff formulation of Gorilla Glue. I assume most stores would only sell the newer kind but I'll try to look for something that says "improved"/"updated" on the bottle. Never used Gorilla Glue before. Was thinking about trying UHU as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardboz1
mrbubbs
I used 4 pcs of 1mm cf, 2 on each side of fuse above and below the wing (ala SloFly) and it's amazing how much it stiffens it up. 3mm tube on wing, elevator and stab. All held in with the new White Gorilla glue.
Tallflyer,
Anxiously awaiting to see where you place servos. Have been pondering the placement of them, so really glad you've posted this. Always nice being able to follow someone with lots more experience than I have.
Old May 09, 2008, 06:01 AM
Joined Jul 2002
6,295 Posts
More Build Photos

To Answer some questions I cut all my kits by hand with New # 11 x-acto blades. and a medal straight edge ruler I free hand all curved lines (I draw the line on the foam and then just cut slow. remember take your time its not a race.
RCG Plus Member