HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 06, 2008, 09:38 AM
Generally R/C Insane!!!
Newton Iowa USA
Joined Oct 2003
82 Posts
Discussion
Pitot/Static tube install pictures

I got my Pitot/Static tube mounted on my extra 260 last night. I used 1/64 ID tygon tubing to go from the wing tip to the fuselage. I hope this will work. Here are the pictures.
rceagle1a is offline Find More Posts by rceagle1a
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2008, 02:04 AM
Joined Nov 2003
4,936 Posts
HI rceagle1a,

This is very professional looking! I think that will be fine. The only concern I have is whether the static port will be affected by having the pitot tube next to it, but I suspect this will work well for you.

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old May 10, 2008, 07:48 AM
Generally R/C Insane!!!
Newton Iowa USA
Joined Oct 2003
82 Posts
Thanks Bill, I already thought about what you said about them being so close. I plan to fix that issue tonight with some flat brass and more soldering,Lol. I'll post the pics of the mods soon.
Last edited by rceagle1a; May 10, 2008 at 12:12 PM. Reason: added photos of pitot tube mod
Old May 11, 2008, 03:30 AM
Saline, MI
Joined Jul 2006
300 Posts
Full size planes use two concentric tubes, but yours should work just fine. Full size planes also mount the pitot tubes about one cord distance from the tip to avoid probelms induced by the tip vortex. I don't know if that will be a problem here, since I've always mounted pitot tubes mid span.
dhares is offline Find More Posts by dhares
Old May 11, 2008, 11:56 AM
Generally R/C Insane!!!
Newton Iowa USA
Joined Oct 2003
82 Posts
Ok,Dhares: Could you post a pic of how you mounted your tubes mid span? I might be tempted to move mine if this install doesn't work out right as I can redo the tip with a piece of scrap covering to cover the current holes.
Old May 12, 2008, 06:11 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,435 Posts
Is it better to mount the static air port into the air stream flow with holes drilled and the tube sealed?...or is it better to have an open tube mounted flush to the fuse, perpendicular to the air stream flow?

Does the fuselage affect the the readings?
Kenny Sharp is offline Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old May 12, 2008, 06:48 PM
Joined Apr 2007
14 Posts
Take a look at my post

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=830815

I used a similar system and it gave me a lot of problems with height measurement

I have now a small plate with a 2mm hole on the side of the aircraft which appears to have done the trick

Will post pictures tomorrow evening
ardisd is offline Find More Posts by ardisd
Old May 13, 2008, 05:49 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardisd
Take a look at my post

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=830815

I used a similar system and it gave me a lot of problems with height measurement

I have now a small plate with a 2mm hole on the side of the aircraft which appears to have done the trick

Will post pictures tomorrow evening
Thanks.

Pics would be great.
I can include some of my own very unprofessional installation also...as long as rceagle1a doesn't mind his thread becoming a sort of "home base" for this type of thing.
Kenny Sharp is offline Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old May 13, 2008, 07:53 AM
Saline, MI
Joined Jul 2006
300 Posts
I will post some pics to this thread too. Meanwhile, in an earlier thread on pitot tubes (and Eagle Tree's sensors) I posted links to articles on pitot tube design and placement. This is one of them: http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/pitot.html For the equations to work, the static and pressure ports need to be near each other and in stable air ... outside the laminar flow over the wing.
dhares is offline Find More Posts by dhares
Old May 13, 2008, 06:37 PM
Joined Apr 2007
14 Posts
My pictures as discussed the static port is the brass plate on the side of the plane with a 2mm hole
ardisd is offline Find More Posts by ardisd