Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 15, 2003, 11:45 PM
San Diego, CA. USA
Joined Nov 2000
585 Posts
Fly R/C planes with cockpit view video - idea

A friend of mine who doesn't fly R/C suggested this idea.

Put a miniature video camera in the cockpit (spy cameras sell for $80, have 700 ft. range), Transmit the video live to ? a laptop? or better yet a pair of virtual reality goggles. Fly by looking at the image taken by the video.

Seems like a cool idea, and most of the equipment is available as far as I can tell. I'm not much into figuring it out, just find the concept intriguing. Would change R/C flying experience totally.

Perhaps someone more clever than I could work this out and either 1) post the results or 2) market it and become a millionaire. I'll buy one.

Balin
Balin is offline Find More Posts by Balin
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2003, 12:03 AM
San Antonio
Joined Dec 2001
410 Posts
You mean like this?

A/V link
senor_paco is offline Find More Posts by senor_paco
Old Jan 16, 2003, 01:00 AM
Zebulon, NC
Joined Aug 2000
5,086 Posts
The military has been doing it for years.
Steve H. is offline Find More Posts by Steve H.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2003, 08:02 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Suggest you search the forums. This has been done (and discussed here) many, many times.
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jan 16, 2003, 10:04 AM
San Diego, CA. USA
Joined Nov 2000
585 Posts
Well, I guess it wasn't a totally new idea

I have, by the way, quite a list of credits for "new" inventions that were already in existence. I've recently been working on an idea for a large round object that things will roll on, I'm going to call it the we-all. Still in beta.

Thanks for the links and ideas,
Balin
Balin is offline Find More Posts by Balin
Old Jan 16, 2003, 09:37 PM
"Bible Thumper"
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2001
1,924 Posts
Some guy on the glow side of ezone did a post on this. He wired the RX into a pair of VR goggles. I asked him if he ever gets sick, I can only play those 1st person shooter games (DOOM, DARKFORCES) for a short time before the video motion turns my stomach. He said he's had no problems. Finding the goggles seems to be a real trick though.
AMTJIM is offline Find More Posts by AMTJIM