SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 04, 2008, 11:43 PM
Launch high, go long
Boise, ID
Joined Sep 2006
357 Posts
Discussion
Wobbly Flying H-Stab on Meteor

Now that I've had help identifying my 'new' ship as a LJMP Meteor (thanks everyone), I'm into the repairs.

Overall the plane is in very good shape. It does have one area of concern. The full flying stab wobbles on its rotation bearing. The tips on the stab can be lifted approx 1.25in up to down. Does this need to be repaired or is it flyable in this condition?

I've tried, somewhat gingerly, to pull the two halves apart and it won't budge. Maybe the pin is rusted onto a sleeve or was it not meant to come apart. The sleeve/bearing is inside the molded FG vertical stab so its gong to be a challenge to get at for repair.

Any additional help or advice would be appreciated.
Mike
LostVisual is offline Find More Posts by LostVisual
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2008, 02:50 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,871 Posts
Mike I had a similar problem with a Multiplex Fiesta II that I bought in Florida and had to mail back to Arizona, I made up a new system for it, and it worked great. If youd like to get together I'm pretty sure I can help. Dave.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old May 05, 2008, 03:44 AM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,203 Posts
when you stay the stabs can be lifted. you mean one at a time or both together (simulating dihedral?)

If it's the former, I'd be inclined to redrill the bearing tube out of the fin (use a bench drill to keep it all square) and re-epoxy a new bearing tube in.
Curare is offline Find More Posts by Curare
Old May 05, 2008, 07:44 AM
TLAR Black Belt
Athens, LA, United States
Joined Apr 2002
1,251 Posts
I had a similar situation with a BoT stab.

I made a modification that was suggested by BMatthews. Completely curres the problem you are having.

Sketch below:

EJ
ejett is offline Find More Posts by ejett
Old May 07, 2008, 10:13 PM
Launch high, go long
Boise, ID
Joined Sep 2006
357 Posts
Dave - I'll bring the fuse out to SAGE when I can make it. It's going to be a few weeks because of work commitments.

Curare - the stab tips lift alternately. It's the bearing that is loose and needs to be reseated. But I'm having a bit of a problem getting the stab halves off.

JT suggested (in another thread) applying some lite oil on the shafts of the pivot. I have yet to do this.

I did notice on the underside of each stab half. There is a hollow round pin sticking out of the covering in line with the pivot shaft. I've tried to pull the pins with needle nose pliers but they are stuck. The pins may be rusted in place. Yea, I know, try the lite oil on those as well. And I'm going to cut a small hole in the covering on top to see if I can locate and push out the pins

EJ - thanks for the drawings. It looks like a very good solution once I get everything apart.

Thanks all
Old May 08, 2008, 04:11 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,871 Posts
Mike make sure those pin's aren't set screw's I've seen a few stab's held on that way, also see if you can check the bell crank, they can break, I know from experience.
The other day I installed a new bell crank tube system in the tail of my Simprop Sagitta, my bell crank is 1/8inch c/f thinned to accept a clevis. I made my stab's a few month's ago, they're S-8020 and there size is a guestimate of course I can't tell you when it will get maidened. Dave.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 08, 2008, 06:34 AM
TLAR Black Belt
Joined Apr 2002
1,251 Posts
I second the suggestion that the pins may in fact be setscrews. Try some small allen wrenches on them and see if that is what you have. It was (is) a fairly common method to hold stabs on the wires.

EJ
Old May 08, 2008, 03:20 PM
Launch high, go long
Boise, ID
Joined Sep 2006
357 Posts
Dave & EJ - thanks for the idea about the set screws. I'll have to check. It makes sense.
Old May 08, 2008, 07:00 PM
TLAR Black Belt
Joined Apr 2002
1,251 Posts
This could be what you have or something very similar....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=1851830

EJ
Old May 08, 2008, 07:36 PM
Look out! The lever!
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Feb 2005
2,625 Posts
Mike,

Sorry,

I must've picked up on Dave's post the Multiplex glider and confused it with yours and provided a detailed fix.

In my best "Babba Wahwah" imitation ....."Nevermind".

-bob
bobthenuke is offline Find More Posts by bobthenuke
Last edited by bobthenuke; May 08, 2008 at 09:44 PM. Reason: provided information for another glider.
Old May 09, 2008, 03:26 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,871 Posts
Well, Bob that's my first laugh for tonight, how's the book coming along? Dave
RCG Plus Member
Old May 09, 2008, 11:10 AM
Look out! The lever!
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Feb 2005
2,625 Posts
Dave,

I'm enjoying the book very much. I'll get it back to you when we come down for the "Beat the Heat" contest, if that's OK with you.

-bob
bobthenuke is offline Find More Posts by bobthenuke
Old May 09, 2008, 12:57 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,926 Posts
Guy's,
The Meteor stab is attached to the fuselage with 2-3/32" wires sliding in to 1/8" brass tubes. The stabs are secured with 4/40 set screws in Dubro 1/8" wheel collars. It sounds to me like the 1/8" brass axle pivot has been drilled over size or has been beat out of the plywood supports on the inside of the Fuselage Fin. Use a 1/16" allen wrench to get the stabs off the model. Get a length of 1/8" brass Tube 12" long. Carefully push the bearing out of the fin with the new brass tube, be super careful you catch the stab bellcrank as you proceed..You can repair the Fuselage by epoxing the new tube in the fuselage one side at a time, or add Washers to the out side of the Fin. Either way put the wings on the Fuselage and use a 36" long 3/32" Wire as a guide to line the new Brass tube up and there by keeping the stab square to the wing. Measure the length of the brass tube and scribe it with a sharp #11 blade all the way round. Make sure everything is square and tag the tube in place with some thick cyano, just a small amount. Now secure each side one at a time permanently. When finished manipulate the tube and it should break along the scribe.
This should fix the problem. LJ
Larry Jolly is online now Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Old May 10, 2008, 03:58 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,871 Posts
Larry thanks for helping a friend, you're the greatest. Dave
RCG Plus Member
Old May 10, 2008, 10:00 AM
Joined Oct 2003
1,926 Posts
SHHHH Easy Dave, I do have a reputation I am trying to maintain here :-)
LJ
Larry Jolly is online now Find More Posts by Larry Jolly