HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 10, 2010, 08:17 PM
Fresno, California
Joined Mar 2007
2,601 Posts
You guys are making me extreamly jealous! I'm having any luck talking my wife into one of these.
BigGuyJT is online now Find More Posts by BigGuyJT
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2010, 12:44 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,318 Posts
I prepared the shop to assemble the otter and when opening the nose wheel package I found the spring in the oleo is very stiff. I'd like to get a softer one in there so it would give some suspension. I think it would cushion the nose on landing and help prevent rebounds. I wonder if it is worth it. What do you think guys ?
carguy1994ca is offline Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 11, 2010, 01:17 AM
Tel Aviv
Joined May 2002
276 Posts
Does anyone flew it successfully with Eflight 25 ?
lempert is offline Find More Posts by lempert
Old Apr 11, 2010, 01:37 AM
USA, CA, Aptos
Joined Jul 2005
1,115 Posts
The spring is fine as is. Most springs are actually too soft, this one is pretty good as supplied. Softer won't do anything for you.

I have maybe 200 landings on mine, never a rebound. It would take more than that little spring to push 12 pounds of model into the air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
I prepared the shop to assemble the otter and when opening the nose wheel package I found the spring in the oleo is very stiff. I'd like to get a softer one in there so it would give some suspension. I think it would cushion the nose on landing and help prevent rebounds. I wonder if it is worth it. What do you think guys ?
Pheasant is offline Find More Posts by Pheasant
Old Apr 11, 2010, 06:49 AM
Fly Every Day
United States, FL, Sebastian
Joined Apr 2001
801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lempert View Post
Does anyone flew it successfully with Eflight 25 ?
The prototype flew with 25's. Don't underestimate the 25 as it is a very powerful motor. You wouldn't believe what it is capable of with 4s but will work fine with 3s. I have 25's in my Deuces Wild and already have them for my TO which will hit the bench right after SEFF.
pmmartin is offline Find More Posts by pmmartin
Old Apr 11, 2010, 08:03 AM
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jun 2005
353 Posts
Best Wishes on the Maiden...

Hi Gang,

Michael in Toronto...hope you have clear skies and steady knee's, seriously, I hope that it is a good "first time" out and back. Details too...

I am ready to head out to WPAFB, but I will be checking the thread while on the plane/rail/road. I made contact with folks at the Academy, and have a plan (or two) in the works, so stay tuned for details.

I posted some photos of the Tru-Turn spinner cut for my Veltro 205, and it was perfect for the Graupner Sonic. I need some detail from JoeMamma on the size/cut for the Twotter, as I will use them on it also. J-M, you did a great job on the prop-tip detail, that bird is going to be looking A1.

Also, when I test motors, it is in detail...I use a couple of test stands, at home and in the lab. Power in is just a very small part of the equation, flying the rig is the rest. Finally, the last photo is the patch/symbol for the Cadet Jump Program at the Academy.

Regards,

Edd
Edd Spidell is offline Find More Posts by Edd Spidell
Last edited by Edd Spidell; May 07, 2012 at 09:57 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 08:51 AM
Central Lake, Michigan
Joined Dec 2002
1,414 Posts
I stopped by the Horizon Hobbies booth at Toledo and took a good look at the Tin Otter.
Wow! What a great looking plane! The fuse is fully sheeted, something I did not expect.
Very nice work there. I talked with one of the reps and he told me they also flew it with Power 10's.
Lots of room in the cockpit really demands some work there. Pilot and co pilot maybe a few passengers? I also noticed the details on the cowls.
Now there was a guy up in the swapshop selling custom made floats. Fun Floats was the name of the company and he does have a website.
Too bad I have to save up for a replacement for my old departed minivan or there would be one of these in my hangar.
jollyroger is offline Find More Posts by jollyroger
Old Apr 11, 2010, 10:34 AM
Lenox Twp., Michigan
Joined Oct 2004
709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
My nose gear was also little sticky. Get yourself a can of "3-in-One" or similar oil. Tip the gear upside down and fill the gear cavity with oil. Let it stand for a while and then drain it and clean up. My gear snapped a little when collapsing it. The oil bath took care of the problem.

If you are concerned about the nose gear strength ?: A few years ago I was setting up and testing a new engine on a new ARF. The first time I throttled up the engine, the firewall cracked and then separated from the fuselage. Scared the heck out of me. The prop nicked the ground and then exploded. What a mess !!

Ever since that episode, I can't/wont trust any factory glue-joints. Now, I reinforce ALL of my firewalls whether they are holding only an engine or holding only a nose wheel. They may appear to look OK, but since that episode, they ALL get reinforced.

Get yourself some 1/4" balsa triangle stock. Cut it into appropriate pieces and epoxy it around the inside of your Otter firewall behing the nose gear mounting. Like I said, the firewall may look strong, and on my Twin Otter it did, but I like the little added insurance.

Joe M.
JoeMamma is offline Find More Posts by JoeMamma
Old Apr 11, 2010, 11:05 AM
Germany, BW, Malsch
Joined Feb 2000
120 Posts
Saw it in Nuremberg; It's a must have!

I got my "Twin Otter" yesterday. A really huge parcel and stunning looking parts. Will start to build next week.

PHILIPP
Philipp Gardemin is offline Find More Posts by Philipp Gardemin
Old Apr 11, 2010, 11:34 AM
Lenox Twp., Michigan
Joined Oct 2004
709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd Spidell View Post
Hi Gang,

Michael in Toronto...hope you have clear skies and steady knee's, seriously, I hope that it is a good "first time" out and back. Details too...

I am ready to head out to WPAFB, but I will be checking the thread while on the plane/rail/road. I made contact with folks at the Academy, and have a plan (or two) in the works, so stay tuned for details.

I posted some photos of the Tru-Turn spinner cut for my Veltro 205, and it was perfect for the Graupner Sonic. I need some detail from JoeMamma on the size/cut for the Twotter, as I will use them on it also. J-M, you did a great job on the prop-tip detail, that bird is going to be looking A1.

Also, when I test motors, it is in detail...I use a couple of test stands, at home and in the lab. Power in is just a very small part of the equation, flying the rig is the rest. Finally, the last photo is the patch/symbol for the Cadet Jump Program at the Academy.

Regards,

Edd
Hi Edd,

Thanks for your comments.

On another note; What kind of prop detail do you need ?

Pictures at the Academy ? Wow......sounds great ! The U.S. Air Force has been flying these three Otters since (supposedly) about 1965. You would think anybody could easily find some close-up pictures.

Joe M.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 12:10 PM
E-flyer since 1981
Joined Oct 2000
1,501 Posts
Maiden Flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd Spidell View Post
Hi Gang,

Thank you.

Maiden flight was EXCELLENT!

First of all, as I drove to the club, I realized I balanced my plane WITHOUT the batteries in the nacelles. A quick adjustment at the field had me remove 3 ounces from the nose. I also successfully set up the flaps and elevator mix, but didn't really need to use them today.

It was quite cool (40 degrees F) and windy; about 15km or 10mph. Still, no problem for a 12 pound model.

A friend (Jack, who supplied the photos below) helped me as a spotter, and double checked that everything was working properly. It's very calming to have someone with you when you fly a new plane.

Ground handling was perfect!

Take off was perfect! Smooth roll out and a smooth climb at about 15 degrees.

Plane flew straight and stable with ZERO adjustments to trim. Note, my model was just slightly nose heavy; all throws exactly as per the instruction manual.

No rolls; no loops; no aerobatics - just smooth scale-like circuits. Landing was easy, rear wheels touching down just slightly before the nose wheel, and with no bounce. Landing speed without flaps, but into the wind, appeared to be similar to the landing speed of a 40-size trainer.

The model is by no means over-powered (nowhere near the capabilities as a Deuces Wild on 32's) but certainly better than adequate; it can fly nice and level at about 60% throttle.

Everybody at the field was very impressed with the model.

I really like this airplane. Thanks everybody at Horizon Hobby for bringing this to market.
Michael in Toronto is offline Find More Posts by Michael in Toronto
Last edited by Michael in Toronto; Apr 11, 2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 12:30 PM
USA, CA, Aptos
Joined Jul 2005
1,115 Posts
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyroger View Post
I talked with one of the reps and he told me they also flew it with Power 10's.
Pheasant is offline Find More Posts by Pheasant
Old Apr 11, 2010, 05:25 PM
Lenox Twp., Michigan
Joined Oct 2004
709 Posts
Michael,

Congrats on the maiden !

At the pace I'm going, I'll be lucky to have mine flying by summer.

For you electric powered guys: I noticed my lipos' and my ECS's would be sitting in completely dead air. Same with the motor....some air, but almost dead air.

So I decided to open up the firewall. It was very easy to do. I got out my dremmel, mounted a cutting bit and simply followed the outline of that first wood former. I then reinforced around my new cutout with some 1/4" triangle stock.

The new opening is almost 2 1/2 square inches. She should flow plenty of air now.

Joe M.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 08:20 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyroger View Post
Very nice work there. I talked with one of the reps and he told me they also flew it with Power 10's.
Nope. We never flew it with Power 10s. We had 15s in mind during the design process, but I don't think we ever flew with them. Power 25s power it very well. Still excess power but not enough for crazy 3D.

David
Dave Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 11, 2010, 09:38 PM
Central Lake, Michigan
Joined Dec 2002
1,414 Posts
Okay, I stand corrected. I knew it was a smaller motor. It was kind of noisy down on the floor so I guess I misinterpreted what I heard.
Anyway one of the reps told me they flew one using a smaller motor probably the 15. That's what he told me.
Michael, your Otter looks great and obviously flies as good as it looks. Congrats on the maiden.
Has anybody installed lights on theirs yet?
jollyroger is offline Find More Posts by jollyroger