HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 05, 2008, 12:36 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,281 Posts
Guys, different class of product. Ours is much larger for Power 25s.

We're going to show it at Joe Nall next week to keep getting feedback.

David Eichstedt
Horizon Hobby.
Dave Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2008, 12:46 PM
aka MadMan
San Diego, CA (USA)
Joined Aug 2006
633 Posts
Yeay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt
Guys, different class of product. Ours is much larger for Power 25s.
We're going to show it at Joe Nall next week to keep getting feedback.
David Eichstedt
Horizon Hobby.
That's good news, David. Bigger is better, and in most cases, E-Flite trumps over most other producers with but few exceptions. Any more specs solidified enough that you can share? Or, is it too early in the product evolution cycle?
rjmanzuk is offline Find More Posts by rjmanzuk
Old May 05, 2008, 02:44 PM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,676 Posts
Could we get some specs on this one?
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old May 05, 2008, 03:22 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dora Nine
Could we get some specs on this one?
Well, I don't recall the EXACT details, but wingspan is somewhere in the 84" to 86" range, and weight of the prototype is around 10 1/4 to 10 1/2 pounds. I can't remember if that was with or without batteries, but either way, it feels light for its size.

The Power 25 is proving to be a popular size for electrics because you can still use 3S batteries and get good performance. This setup seems to be ideal for this airplane. Each 3200 pack is installed in the nacelle just behind the firewall, just like the Deuces Wild. John also installed the counter-rotating spinners & props from the Deuces Wild on the Twin Otter, and it seems to fly great.

The big thing for us is not answering the question "Is there enough interest" to do this Twin Otter, but rather, "Are customers willing to pay what this is really going to cost?"

This is a big airplane with an expensive airframe, and it has turned out to be more expensive than we had initially anticipated. Without going so far as starting a separate poll, I wonder if you could provide us some feedback on this thread about where you think this one will be priced?

Here are three choices:

A) $350 - $400
B) $400 - $475
C) $475 - $550

If you could provide some reasoning behind why you think that's the right choice (guided by a healthy dose of what YOU would be willing to pay), it would help us to make our decision.

Thanks,

David
Horizon Hobby
Site Sponsor
Old May 05, 2008, 04:09 PM
Ohio
Joined May 2003
2,083 Posts
David, are you considering floats and 4S lipo? The difference between 350 and 550 is not that big of a deal. It costs more to go larger all the way around especially with lipo. Any consideration for A-123 option?

Ed
no stick is offline Find More Posts by no stick
Old May 05, 2008, 04:53 PM
Hemet, California, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,623 Posts
Hi Dave,

If I really, really, want a particular airplane I would be willing to scrape up to about $1000.00 for the plane, motors, esc, and batteries. When any one project goes over a grand I get nervous about actually flying it.

I think you may have a problem with this one in that people will agree it is worth the cost, but they won't actually pay the coin to buy one.

Good luck! Mickydee
mickydee is offline Find More Posts by mickydee
Old May 05, 2008, 05:54 PM
start slow and taper off
Victoria, BC
Joined Sep 2004
247 Posts
One of my favourite planes - I would pay the top price for it if it were quite a bit more scale. Compare the model to the actual pic earlier in the thread, and you can see that it's squared off and boxy more so that the real thing, the nose is too long, nacelle shapes off, etc. Spend a bit more time making it correct, and I'm in. A float kit for it would be a must for me

Along the same lines, have you considered something like the Dash 8?
falconhob is online now Find More Posts by falconhob
Old May 05, 2008, 05:58 PM
Central Lake, Michigan
Joined Dec 2002
1,414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickydee
Hi Dave,

If I really, really, want a particular airplane I would be willing to scrape up to about $1000.00 for the plane, motors, esc, and batteries. When any one project goes over a grand I get nervous about actually flying it.

I think you may have a problem with this one in that people will agree it is worth the cost, but they won't actually pay the coin to buy one.

Good luck! Mickydee
I can agree with that. So far I have not spent that much on any plane(airframe), however after all the time, and investment in building and finishing a kit, it doesn't take too long for the actual price of that plane to increase to the point where an ARF or ARC is a better value.
I had a look at the KMP 56" beaver at Toledo and was not as impressed as I was with the E-Flight version. The E-Flight version show much higher quality of overall build, finish and scale effect. That's why I bought the E-Flight.
One way to reduce the cost of such a plane is to offer it as an ARC. let the customer decide how he may want it. It also allows the customer the option of adding additional scale details ie; lights, bumps,various other things such as antenna.
cheers
jollyroger is offline Find More Posts by jollyroger
Old May 06, 2008, 07:42 AM
Ustabee supported Unabomber
Ustabee supported Unabomber
Joined Sep 2006
1,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyroger
I can agree with that. So far I have not spent that much on any plane(airframe), however after all the time, and investment in building and finishing a kit, it doesn't take too long for the actual price of that plane to increase to the point where an ARF or ARC is a better value.
I had a look at the KMP 56" beaver at Toledo and was not as impressed as I was with the E-Flight version. The E-Flight version show much higher quality of overall build, finish and scale effect. That's why I bought the E-Flight.
One way to reduce the cost of such a plane is to offer it as an ARC. let the customer decide how he may want it. It also allows the customer the option of adding additional scale details ie; lights, bumps,various other things such as antenna.
cheers
I think that you are right regarding offering the Twin Otter as a ARC. I think if you are going to spent up to a $1000 you should be able to cover it however you like so that you don't have three or four of the same looking planes at the airfield on any given day. Then, maybe offer an ARF also for those who are less experienced in covering.

After all, this is the 21st century. Customization is almost becoming a industry in itself. The sooner you jump on, the better.
countrygentleman is offline Find More Posts by countrygentleman
Old May 08, 2008, 07:51 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,281 Posts
More Twin Otter

Here are a couple shots of the full-scale one we took the scheme from.

There are at least two different noses for the Twin Otter, one long and one short. I'm not sure, but there may even be one in the middle there. The short nose seems to make the Twin Otter appear more round, while the long nose seems to make it look more boxy. The only deviation from pure, 100% scale that I'm aware of in our model is that the nacelles may have been lengthened a little (not much, maybe 1/2").

The yellow Canadian Air Force version posted earlier in the thread is my favorite scheme.

David
Horizon Hobby
Site Sponsor
Old May 08, 2008, 11:07 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,924 Posts
If we saw another twin Platinum, I would rather see a P-38! I think the Beaver covers the civilian float category well, and the Duece has the twin sport covered. Now for a Platinum twin-scale warbird please!!
tclaridge is offline Find More Posts by tclaridge
Old May 09, 2008, 10:31 AM
Scott Summersgill
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Feb 2001
558 Posts
I'd go for one of these.
smsgill is offline Find More Posts by smsgill
Old May 09, 2008, 03:03 PM
AMA 670207
United States, WA, Sumner
Joined Oct 2000
2,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconhob
One of my favourite planes - I would pay the top price for it if it were quite a bit more scale. Compare the model to the actual pic earlier in the thread, and you can see that it's squared off and boxy more so that the real thing, the nose is too long, nacelle shapes off, etc. Spend a bit more time making it correct, and I'm in. A float kit for it would be a must for me

Along the same lines, have you considered something like the Dash 8?
Ditto!

I'm in.

A Dash 8 would be nice too!

Perry
Rudderman98 is offline Find More Posts by Rudderman98
Old May 09, 2008, 04:00 PM
anaheim, ca
Joined Apr 2005
2,542 Posts
like i need another plane! but yes, please to be making this one! i won't be able to resist and if i have to save up money so be it!
lowdive is offline Find More Posts by lowdive
Old May 09, 2008, 06:00 PM
Kissimmee, FL
Joined Mar 2001
123 Posts
I saw the Otter up close at SEFF and I was very impressed. I flew these a little bit in Alaska and would love to have one.

My order is as follows....

$450-500 no problem, I think the quality is worth it, esp with the working cabin doors.
All white so I can do it up in MarkAir colors.
Floats that can be swapped out easily with the wheel grear.
Short nose in addition to the long nose?

Sean
Sean Sweeney is offline Find More Posts by Sean Sweeney