Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 03, 2008, 10:25 PM
Say when.....
United States, MO, Hillsboro
Joined Sep 2005
1,389 Posts
Build Log
Windrider BeEvolution

I just got my new Bee Evolution kit in the mail. It's my first foam wing and will not be used for combat, so I did a very basic setup on it. I used a standard 600mAh flat pack, Hitec HS-322HD servos, and a Hitec HFS-04MG receiver. Everything went together quite easily. The Mercury CA which Ming is putting in the kits worked well for installing the carbon fiber spars. The spar is shipped as one piece. You need to split it down the middle to make a spar for the top and bottom. I used my heavy shop scissors to do this. Karl sent the heavy duty control rods and arms so I used them, otherwise everything is pretty much stock. I put a little description with the pictures. If anything is not clear, feel free to ask for clarification. I am looking forward to the maiden as soon as weather permits.

--quigley
quigley257 is offline Find More Posts by quigley257
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2008, 10:27 PM
Oahu, Hawaii
Joined Nov 2006
237 Posts
nice bee!

munen123 is offline Find More Posts by munen123
Old May 04, 2008, 09:55 AM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Looks GREAT Glen! I should let you build all my foamies for me. How did you do the BEEVO lettering?

Doubletap
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old May 04, 2008, 01:53 PM
Say when.....
United States, MO, Hillsboro
Joined Sep 2005
1,389 Posts
Thanks! The lettering is some old precut vinyl stuff I had stashed in my trim box.

--quigley
quigley257 is offline Find More Posts by quigley257
Old May 05, 2008, 11:14 AM
The Predator
Golden, Colorado
Joined Dec 2004
3,565 Posts
I do not know how long your servo arms are but, if they are relatively short you may want to lower you push rods on the control horn side of things. I think it will fly well as you have it and with LOTS of resolution and torque but, it may have a slightly reduced response time due to longer required servo arm throws for the same deflection amounts, just a thought.
I run quite short arms on both ends of the control system for fast response times and REAL low profile control horns, the only tiney spot a hit can disable a Bee/Beevo.
The Predator is offline Find More Posts by The Predator
Old May 12, 2008, 03:14 PM
Rapid City, SD
Joined Jan 2006
725 Posts
Got mine finished and test flown! It flies great- now to spend some time really testing it and DSing it!

Deviated from normal build- Ribbon spars are overlapped together about 1 inch on top and bottom for strength with glue and covered with nylon string and glued for maximum strength.

Double covering of fiberglass reinforced packing tape (wipe each later of tape with a cloth and naptha to remove the release agent to really make the tape stick!)

Covering- Ultracoat

Other equipment - Spektrum 6200 receiver, JR DS821 Digital Servos, 2500mah battery pack

Any Questions?
SSG Scott is offline Find More Posts by SSG Scott
Old May 12, 2008, 03:43 PM
Oahu, Hawaii
Joined Nov 2006
237 Posts
nice bees! love the yellow and black
munen123 is offline Find More Posts by munen123
Old May 13, 2008, 02:40 AM
PNF
Los Gatos, CA
Joined May 2005
4,422 Posts
SSG Scott - what is your AUW?
infopimp is offline Find More Posts by infopimp
Old May 25, 2008, 11:11 PM
Rapid City, SD
Joined Jan 2006
725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by infopimp
SSG Scott - what is your AUW?

27 Ounces. It flies great in winds from 7mph to 35mph and DSs nicely. It DSs a bit faster than the regular Bee (at same weight and same build)

-Scott
SSG Scott is offline Find More Posts by SSG Scott
Old May 26, 2008, 04:18 AM
AKA RustyKnee
Dorset, UK
Joined Dec 2006
318 Posts
Nice looking Bees.

I have just ordered one!

What advantage does the Arc spar give?

Stu
Stuart B is offline Find More Posts by Stuart B
Old May 26, 2008, 04:11 PM
Throw it like you hate it
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Apr 2007
3,060 Posts
the arced spar gives very good strength all along the span of the wing. since the wing is swept, it would not be possible to get a spar across the whole span unless it were two spars and joined at the center, much like the HP60 wing. some swept wings just have one straight par but since the wing is swept the spar cant make it out to the tips.

the ribbon spar is also light and gives the wing A LOT of strength laterally and torsionally. a lot wings are now employing this type of spar setup. its easy and straightforward to install.
RCPC is offline Find More Posts by RCPC
RCG Plus Member
Old May 27, 2008, 09:02 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jun 2002
4,535 Posts
Few Beevolutions in HK will fly with BL motor this weekend.
See how fast can it go!

Ming Lou
Ming is offline Find More Posts by Ming
Site Sponsor
Old May 27, 2008, 09:52 AM
The Predator
Golden, Colorado
Joined Dec 2004
3,565 Posts
I've seen REAL FAST already! I think 100-110MPH while DSing less then optimal conditions and places, only guessing. I think a GREAT WR DS site can make these things get into the 130's at around 25ozs AUW. I had an LJ 48" do 126mph and the Bevo feels similar but, we have new stuff now too! HE HE HE!
The Predator is offline Find More Posts by The Predator
Old May 27, 2008, 12:08 PM
AKA RustyKnee
Dorset, UK
Joined Dec 2006
318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPC
the arced spar gives very good strength all along the span of the wing. since the wing is swept, it would not be possible to get a spar across the whole span unless it were two spars and joined at the center, much like the HP60 wing. some swept wings just have one straight par but since the wing is swept the spar cant make it out to the tips.

the ribbon spar is also light and gives the wing A LOT of strength laterally and torsionally. a lot wings are now employing this type of spar setup. its easy and straightforward to install.
Thanks. Is the supplied one a ribbon spar? or is that a mod?

What is the best way to cut the new spar location? Sharp knife? dremel cutter?

Stu
Stuart B is offline Find More Posts by Stuart B
Old May 27, 2008, 01:09 PM
Objects in mirror are losing
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,560 Posts
It's a mod, usually referred to as "Predatorized". Karl, the Predator, sells upgraded Bee kits with the ribbon spar, better hardware, buried control rods, etc... and a great instruction CD.
You can do a search for Predator Bee and get some info.
Basically, you split the ribbon in half lengthwise and xacto cut a 1/4" or so slit top and bottom and make an I-beam type spar. Incredible strength to weight. Highly recommended. My "record holding" Bee is a Predator Bee.
1000MPH is offline Find More Posts by 1000MPH
RCG Plus Member