HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Dutchboy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 03, 2008, 12:22 AM
Torin Segstro
Alberta, Canada
Joined Apr 2008
99 Posts
Build Log
HobbyZone Super Cub modification - Motor Mount Prototype

Hello RC Hobby Folks,

I'm new to the hobby of building RC planes, and after lurking for a couple of months, I want to share with the community my progress in learning this craft.

I had no idea what I was doing really, and decided to buy the Hobbyzone Supercub as a trainer and an introduction into this new world. Little did I know how addictive building planes could be.

So I flew the cub a dozen times. Crashed, replaced props, cowling, etc. The typical newbie. At this point, I was bored with just simply flying the Super Cub and wanted to "mod" it. I wanted to make it faster, carry cameras and maybe even a GPS. This is where the money started to fall out of my wallet at an alarming rate.

As you will see, I like to build things for the heck of it. So I decided to create a custom motor mount to upgrade my Super Cub to a brushless motor configuration.

A bit of history - About a year and a half ago, I decided to build a CNC machine out of aluminum. This took about a year to build by the time all was said and done, and was originally going to be used to create picture frames. However, I now I have a powerful tool that allows me to cut parts as well.

Here is my Super Cub Brushless Motor Mount prototype in ArtCad. This is a design that was meant to be cut out of aluminum or very ridget material like PCB board wafers. I went with aluminum because I had some scrap lying around. The video is of my final prototype being cut out of MDF for testing the fit.

My CNC cutting the prototype
Cutting SuperCub Motor Mount (0 min 31 sec)(0 min 31 sec)

Originally I was going to mount my ESC in the front with the motor to take advantage of the airflow, but I changed my mind. It's fairly vulnerable to damage from one of my nose dives if I leave it in that location.

Torin segstro - aka Dutchboy
Dutchboy is offline Find More Posts by Dutchboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2009, 01:23 PM
Nebraska
Joined Dec 2007
442 Posts
Wow this is really cool. Have you thought about selling these?
zirconx is offline Find More Posts by zirconx
Old Jan 12, 2009, 01:28 PM
Real Time Recon
smith mt. lake VA.
Joined Jan 2007
8,266 Posts
Dutchboy,VERY nice work...RTR
realtimerecon is offline Find More Posts by realtimerecon
Old Aug 06, 2009, 05:54 PM
St Charles Missouri
Joined Feb 2009
17 Posts
Dutch boy, I see that this is an older post.
I'm Impressed the the motor mount but more impressed with the CNC machine.
how in the heck do you build a CNC machine?
A processor some aluminum some servo motors and a lot of time I'm sure

I would love to build one of these machines...
fitter562 is offline Find More Posts by fitter562