HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2003, 05:14 PM
Pensacola Regional, Florida, United States
Joined Jan 2002
442 Posts
Static Bench vs Unloaded Power Values

Whats the general rule of thumb as far as static amp draw vs what it actually is in the air? I have a combo thats drawing right under 6 amps hooked directly up (no esc). What would this go to while flying the plane? Do you go by static or unloaded values when figuring for battery packs?
rakm is offline Find More Posts by rakm
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2003, 09:28 PM
Punta Gorda, FL
Joined Apr 2002
4,952 Posts
Run the setup on the bench. Then take it outside in a 15, 20 or 25 MPH wind and take new readings facing into the wind.
Ollie is offline Find More Posts by Ollie
Old Jan 18, 2003, 05:15 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,350 Posts
Yeah, that would work but you may get reports to the cops and Real People about a modern day Dr Frankenstien working outside in lightning storms....

I don't think a lot of people have come up with figures on this but I suppose if you could mount the whole works on a car using a boom out in front by about 10 feet to hopefully avoid the car's aerodynamics then you could get some real figures.

I like this option better than risking a lightning strike during a wind storm....

And I'm just dieing to see the remarks when you post pics of the test rig attached to the family Taurus or pick'em'up truck....

Sorry guys but the Frankenstien image has me in stiches.... I keep seeing scenes from Young Frankenstien.... or is that FrawnkenSTEEEn...... LOL
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Jan 18, 2003, 05:53 PM
Punta Gorda, FL
Joined Apr 2002
4,952 Posts
Many times, here in Florida, we have winds over 15 MPH from November to May without any threat of rain, much less lightning. The summer months are a different story. Tampa, Florida is known as the lightning capitol of the USA because of the frequency 0f lightning in the wet season.
Ollie is offline Find More Posts by Ollie
Old Jan 18, 2003, 06:21 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,350 Posts
Oh, I know. I just had a funny moment.....

We get winds like this too but to get any honest figures out of the winds near ground level I'd want to see the tests being done out in an open field so the velocity and direction was consistent or nearly so. But I suppose if it was just for a quick idea of what to expect without taking the numbers as gospel a quick move to the back yard would provide a good idea of the effect. I know from testing little chuck gliders in my back yard that the trees and houses around me make the air look like it's in a washing machine.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Jan 28, 2003, 03:14 AM
Dallas,TX, USA
Joined Mar 1999
834 Posts
rakm,
I Use Moto-cal and run the configuration of interest from 0 to vmax. You can print or plot velocity,RPM,Amps,thrust,ETC. and see the effects. That's the beauty of a computer simulation.
Dick Huang
Dick Huang is offline Find More Posts by Dick Huang