HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2003, 02:06 PM
Insert custom witicism
San Diego
Joined Jun 2001
3,526 Posts
How do I resize pictures for posting?

I went through this once with Windows 98, but it's not working now that I'm using Windows XP.

I'm using a Sony Mavica MVC CD250 and Microsoft Picture it! Photo. I'm having problems finding my bytes count to ensure I can post my pix.

Any and all help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff
Jeff Charlot is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Charlot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2003, 02:17 PM
United States, CA, Twentynine Palms
Joined Jun 2002
1,188 Posts
I open all my jpegs with Paint Shop Pro 6, than go to image, then resize. I just use the rulers in paint shop pro as a guide. I keep scaling the picture down by 75% until it's about 3"-5". You can find the byte size by right clicking on the file before you open it. I am pretty computer illiterate so I hope you can figure out what I am trying to say here. Hope this helps.

Boz
bosley is offline Find More Posts by bosley
Old Jan 15, 2003, 02:19 PM
Enjoy Life B4U Die!
United States, GA, Powder Springs
Joined Dec 1999
4,207 Posts
I've been using Paint Shop Pro for several years & it's great.

You can also get free image editors:

1 - type in www.freeware.com (this will take you to another site)
2 - do a search for "image editor" & hit "Go"
3 - at the bottom of the next page select filter by "free" under the licenses field & then select "update"
4 - pick one & download it

I have no idea how effective these editors are. Good luck. Happy flying. Eat well & prosper.

Or was it live well & get big.

Prosper unless you don't live long?

How'd that go? I forgot.
Buzz_Man is offline Find More Posts by Buzz_Man
Old Jan 15, 2003, 03:48 PM
Pedal Power!
the lake
Joined Oct 2002
1,095 Posts
Another vote for PSP. Do you know where the images are on your HD? Can you find them outside the "picture it" software? Have you ever used windows explorer? Have you ever used find/search on you own computer? Sorry for all the questions it is the only way to know how much help you need.

Side story:

I'm a computer tech by trade and have run into some funny problems. One time a teacher was very upset at a student for "erasing" their class project. I went to file/open and the teacher was thrilled to see that I had magically "unerased" the project and look there it is!! At this point I'm pretty confused because I didn't do anything other then open a file that was already there. Turn out that the only way that they had ever located the project before was by going to file/most recent. The student had gone to more then 5 other projects and pushed the class project off the bottom of the most recent list. Once I opened the class project it was at the top of the most recent list so I "fixed" it.
lakedude is offline Find More Posts by lakedude
Old Jan 15, 2003, 04:05 PM
Enjoy Life B4U Die!
United States, GA, Powder Springs
Joined Dec 1999
4,207 Posts
BTW - I forgot to mention you can download PSP & try it out before you buy it - I think it's ~30MB download . . .

click on this to go to the PSP download page
Buzz_Man is offline Find More Posts by Buzz_Man
Old Jan 15, 2003, 07:14 PM
Sayre,PA
Joined Sep 2002
1,664 Posts
Virtually all of the programs that work with photographs have a resize function. I'm sure your Microsoft Picture it! Photo has such a function. When you find it just resize your photo to 600 pixels wide and make sure to save it as a jpg. This should give you the right width photo for posting and the right size file.
jimsp is offline Find More Posts by jimsp
Old Jan 15, 2003, 07:28 PM
Insert custom witicism
San Diego
Joined Jun 2001
3,526 Posts
Thanks guys! I do have Paint Shop Pro, but am pretty unfamiliar with it. I've spent some time trying to figure this out, my question is this; to attach a file, the maximum bytes size allowed is 102400. I think my camera's email photo option is already under this size. I'm going to try it out here, since you already know I'm having problems.

Here goes!
Old Jan 15, 2003, 07:30 PM
Insert custom witicism
San Diego
Joined Jun 2001
3,526 Posts
Yeah! I figured it out! (Right!) All I had to do was......nothing. Do you ever feel foolish when you do something dumb in public?

Thanks for the help guys, I truly appreciate it.

Jeff
Old Jan 15, 2003, 08:18 PM
Go Forward, but Remember
Pawling NY
Joined Oct 2002
944 Posts
Hey Lakedude,

Sounds like we're in the same employment boat. I am the Computer Science Department for a small boarding school midway between N.Y.C. and Albany. I am also the webmaster, computer repair shop, digital photography guru, etc, etc.

My favorite is the "Invalid System Disk" hard drive "crash." Remove the floppy from the drive and re-boot...
reills is offline Find More Posts by reills
Old Jan 15, 2003, 08:40 PM
Pedal Power!
the lake
Joined Oct 2002
1,095 Posts
Same boat, different side of the fence. You are one of the guys that make or break me. If you all are helpful, understanding and admit when you goof stuff up then I'm doin great. If like to tinker with stuff and need full admin privilages and goof stuff up in an administrative capacity and then cover it up or worse yet blame me for it then your kind are the reason I drink heavy at times.

SS #2

One of the trouble cauing kids wanted me to tell him how to goof stuff up real good. I joked "format c" figuring everybody knew what that meant. He got out a pen and paper and asked "what was that again?". Kid don't know beans about dos anymore.
lakedude is offline Find More Posts by lakedude
Old Jan 16, 2003, 08:26 AM
USA, VA, Centreville
Joined Jan 2003
96 Posts
I have been having the same problem...can't get the pictures to work! I'm going to try the preview option here...

That didn't work...let's try really posting with the picture...
turaboy is offline Find More Posts by turaboy
Old Jan 16, 2003, 08:29 AM
USA, VA, Centreville
Joined Jan 2003
96 Posts
Wow! That one worked (but not in preview )

Anybody know if we can post multiple pictures in the same message? I have seen serial posts one right after the other, but can't seem to find out how to post more than one otherwise...

BUT, I am excited, as this has been my first successful picture post!
turaboy is offline Find More Posts by turaboy