HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 30, 2008, 09:50 PM
United States, IL, Effingham
Joined Feb 2008
73 Posts
Discussion
Lanier Fokker DVII vs. my wrist

I got this plane late Jan early feb when me and a friend of mine decided to get the set with the intent on eventually doing some cool scale dogfighting. It was going to be my secondary electric plane while my GP Fokker DR1 was my baby. And yes fellas they are both red! Sorry! I was going to make the DR1 black but laziness and the fact that my 7yr old son thinks the Red Barron is as cool as Jenga Fett (Star Wars), made it difficult to change.

first the build of the plane - I wont go into great details here but it was on par with other ARFs I have put together. I hated running the the servo wire thru the wing - the connector rolled and I had to cut out a peice of covering in order to get it on thru. Also it was missing some screws and one CA hinge and the wheels are very flimsy. Other than that, it went together quickly and true. I put in a BP hobbies A2217-9 swinging a wooden 10x6 prop 3cell LiPo with a 25amp speed control.

Flying -during the second week in March the weather up here in New Hampshire finally got to the point that the snow melted. It was cold and breazy but I had 2 planes to maiden. First the the DR1 - pilot error and a tree - sniff, sniff. Ok, I'll rebuild. Next... The DVII. I was nervous, I had just wrecked my baby and this one has a warning about control surface flutter at high speed in the manual. It take off and I'm just struggling to get around the field. I cant really get any altittude and its acting as if it is tail heavy even tough I took great care in balancing to the manuals specs. My buddy, who still to this day has not maidened his SE5a, says "hey why don't you give it some more power". Oh, yeah. Right. More Power... the planes suddenly became very stable and climbed instantly. In fact it climbed to much, I had to add quite a bit of down trim to maintain level flight especially into the wind.

Wait - I forgot to mention that even though I grew up around R/C planes, until last year it had been a long time since I had flown anything trickier than a slow stick.

Ok jump forward - I love this plane. It looks great in the air and is fun to fly, although I suspect that the CG might be ever so slighty off from what the manual says it should be. It still wants to nose up under higher speeds/winds. not so much during slower speeds. anyway my skills are improving daily and I am getting more confident with each flight.

TAX DAY - I had already done my taxes so on April 15th all I had to do was get home from work crab the kids and head to a local soccer field. It was a beautiful day with almost no wind.

WARNING THE FOLLOWING CONTAINS AN EXTREME ACT OF STUPIDITY AND ITS RESULTS.....PLEASE READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

I pull into the field parking lot, let the kids out and pop open the back of the van. I turn on my radio and pop a freshly charged LiPo. The field has a staggard fence personell entrance so I raise the plane up being careful not to scrape a wing against chain link destruction. My 3yr old is infront of me and my 7yr old is behind me. OK I WARNED YOU!!!! I some how brushed up against the throttle - starting the BP Hobbies 2217-9 with a wooden 10x6 prop. Turning it right thru my left wrist. I couldn't throw the plane down - my kids could be hurt. I was holding the transmitter in my right hand and couldn't reach the throttle. The prop is hacking me up for what seemed like forever. Finally was able to run the transmitter up my mid section and turn the throttle off.
My kids are horrified and I am looking at a cut into my wrist that goes to the bone. I am concerned that I might bleed to death so I try to call my wife for help. Dang Nextel - no service. I try 911 - nothing. I try my wife again - still nothing. I alternate calling my wife and 911 several times, still nothing. Then, my 7yr old says "Dad...I just looked at your arm...I think I'm scarred for life". This made me laugh. I then realized that I was not squrting or even gushing out blood. it was more of a steady flow. So I packed up the car and and drove the mile and half to my house. My wife drove us to the hopital after we stop and picked up my oldest daughter from girl scouts.
It was funny watching the ER staff go from "oh my god!!!" when they saw it - to trying not to laugh when I answered "how did you do this?" with "radio control airplane". It seems that I was extremely lucky that day, cause I just missed all the stuff in the wrist that can really ruin your life and/or limb. I got 3 stitches inside and six on the outside. I will have a heck of a scar as there was a lot of tissue missing and they just kinda pulled the remaining flesh together.

I flew again the next day. I just put the battery in on the field. She is fun to fly.
jorno67 is offline Find More Posts by jorno67
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2008, 10:32 PM
Joined Dec 2007
67 Posts
We want pics!
Gimidge is offline Find More Posts by Gimidge
Old Apr 30, 2008, 10:39 PM
Joined Feb 2008
73 Posts
sorry

it wasn't until we were at the hospital that my wife and I thought about the camera.
Old May 01, 2008, 05:38 AM
Western Pennsylvania
Joined Oct 2004
796 Posts
Jorno67, Not sure if you may have read the "Build and Review" thread over on the Electric Scale Plane forums;
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=685036

You may be able to contact one of those guys for help with your CG issue. I just bought a Lanier Fokker D.VII myself, though I haven't started to build it yet. I'm still what I call a newbie with limited experience. I want to be sure I'm ready to progress to the Fokker before I destroy it by being too anxious.

From all my research it seems the Lanier doesn't have the following that the GP version does. But I got a good deal on mine so I took the dive.

Sorry to read of your unfortunate accident. Hope you heal soon and have no lingering effects.

If you don't mind, PM me occasionally and let me know how your doing (wrist) and how the Lanier is working for you.

By the way, in my research some recommend replacing the Lanier stock wheels with the GP wheels for the DVII.

Norm
Norm66 is offline Find More Posts by Norm66
Old May 01, 2008, 08:31 AM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,147 Posts
I always use a switch between the esc and the battery. Not the switch that comes on some escs, but a real switch to kill power. I never build a plane without a switch. Even then, with electric planes you have to remember to turn it off.
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Don Srull's BE-2
Old May 01, 2008, 08:57 AM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,830 Posts
If this should happen to anyone else,any kind of cut,apply firm pressure to the wound,you will stem any flow.

I was watching the news yesterday and some guy in the USA managed to cut off the tip of his finger,and the local hospital tried a new technique by adding dried scrapings from a pig's bladder.
Astoudingly,his finger tip grew back completely,seems this stuff regenerates lost tissue, you would never know it was chopped off at all! (No, not 'April Fool's)

Anyone else see that?
Matt Halton is offline Find More Posts by Matt Halton
Old May 01, 2008, 12:21 PM
Rockford Illinois
Joined Jan 2008
2,324 Posts
I noticed that this plane needs a bit more down trim on the elevator from parallel. It is a pain to get into and out of the battery/rx hatch, so I understand completely how you ended up hurting yourself!

It's an amazing looking bird, I hope I can keep it in great shape.
danrc is offline Find More Posts by danrc
Old May 01, 2008, 01:44 PM
Jeff M.
Joined Feb 2008
93 Posts
I had a similar accident when my canopy blew off my OV-10 Bronco and hit the trottle while my hands were holding the cockpit section. I cut three tendons and a large flap of skin on my other hand. I was squirting blood about 3 feet, so they called for help. It was pretty funny because the paramedics told the ER that they had a guy that was struck by a ariplane propeller. They were prepared for a "real" airplane propeller accident and thought I wouldn't have any hands : ) They were very happy when they saw it wasn't a full size plane. It still requied some extensive work to get my hand working again. All is fine now and I make sure to have a shut off switch on all my planes now.
jmohn is offline Find More Posts by jmohn
Old May 01, 2008, 10:34 PM
Joined Feb 2008
73 Posts
I am going to install a switch for sure. The battery hatch is a complete pain and I thought I was going to make it easier on myself by hooking it up in a more controlled envirement.
The stitches are out but it is going to be a nasty scar.

About the plane...I am still having a blast with her, although today I had some issues. I upgraded from a Futaba attack 4 to the Spectrum DX6i and for some reason the power cut off was much more sudden than before, not only that the flight was a bit scarry due to having to re-trim it out and for some reason I lost about 2 minutes fly time per battery. I bent the landing gear and just missed landing in a creek. Yikes!!

Also...I think we got a newbie hooked today. A guy that works for me purchased a parkzone spitfire last fall,but after wrecking it twice (first to a small of a field, second to a bad battery) it sat on shelf all winter. So a friend of mine hooked him up with a LiPo and talked him into coming out. There is nothing like the look on someones face after that first sucessful flight.

By the way Norm you are right the wheels are horrible. I am using the GP wheels.
Old May 02, 2008, 04:56 AM
Western Pennsylvania
Joined Oct 2004
796 Posts
Jorno67, Wow! Can't understand the drop in flight time when you switched radio's. Could it possibly be do to your using more throttle on the new radio as compared to the older one?

Have you worked out a solution to the hatch? As I said, I haven't started the build on my D.VII, I'm still researching and deciding on a motor. What motor/battery setup are you using by the way? I'll be doing all scale flying with mine when finished, slow rolls and occasionally a loop, but mostly slow circuit flights. Age, eyes and reflexes aren't what they use to be. I'll have to get those GP wheels odered soon.

Glad to hear your friend dusted off the Spitfire and will soon joing the folds of us "RC Nuts" .

Bummer on the scar. Good idea on the switch though.

Norm
Old May 02, 2008, 10:16 AM
Rockford Illinois
Joined Jan 2008
2,324 Posts
Norm, I picked up a combo from grayson hobby for around 45 dollars (motor/esc). 2217-06. It's rated as a 480+ size motor, which gives me way more power than I need, so it flies really well on low throttle but has the punch to pull out of bad situations.

That battery hatch issue could probably be solved with a swivel arm instead of the rubber stopper being used to close both the battery bay and keep the gear on.
Old May 02, 2008, 11:22 AM
Joined Feb 2008
73 Posts
I am running a BP hobbies 2217-9 ($20) and the battery is the looong max 3s 1300 15c ($13). I want to get beeter wheels than the GP ones - they are a touch smaller than what came with it.
my therory on the shorter flight is that a. i did run a little hotter that day and b. the ar6000 reciever draws more power than the gws nano that i had in there before i jumped to 2.4GHz.
Old May 02, 2008, 11:30 AM
Rockford Illinois
Joined Jan 2008
2,324 Posts
oh, I'm on an 3s 11.1v 2000 mah battery too.
Old May 02, 2008, 11:40 AM
Joined Feb 2008
73 Posts
Danrc,
how did you get a 2000 to fit in that compartment? I'd love to upgrade.
Old May 02, 2008, 12:09 PM
Western Pennsylvania
Joined Oct 2004
796 Posts
Another guy on the threads is using a Thunder Power 1320 3s. He says it fits the battery compartment but just barely.

danrc, I've been looking at the Grayson motors too. One of the folks there also flies the Lanier Fokker and uses the 2217-09 with a 30amp SC and says it flies great. He uses a 10X5 prop and a 1000 3s 25C battery they sell. I'm like Jorno67, how'd you get that 2000 to fit in there????

The swivel arm is a greta idea as well.

You guys are tempting me to build and fly before I think I'm ready skill level wise.

Norm