HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by hoffboy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 09:31 PM
Pencil grip
Olympia, WA
Joined Feb 2008
1,227 Posts
Discussion
UPDATED 5.1.08 Super Cub Painted and Struts Removed

Well, here's pretty much the "final" Cub all dolled up and ready for her third maiden flight. I know there's only supposed to be one "maiden" but I count flights after structural changes as essentially maidens if there's significant risk involved. Here's how the first flights shake out:
  1. Original build with ailerons--flew great but was tail heavy. My heart was POUNDING on takeoff!
  2. Removed wing struts and installed carbon fiber rods on top and bottom of wing--flew REALLY great, but still tail heavy (compensated with three quarters taped in cowl). My kid said, "Dad, it looks like you're tying knots in the sky!"
  3. Painted, pinstriped, and forward fuse wall battery mount reduced to push battery weight forward. She's STILL tail heavy, so the three quarters are back in the cowl--hope to "maiden" her tomorrow. Stand by for a flight report.
UPDATE Flew three times today:
  1. Sunrise: (photo) Gorgeous morning, but Cub was very touchy. Thought I could avoid exponential and dual rates, but I was wrong.
  2. Lunch: Programmed in dual rates and exponential. Flew on soft setting and had MUCH more discreet control, smoother landings, better low speed stability.
  3. Evening: Two quick flights (two batteries) with very good control and one picture perfect landing.
Summary: I'M HAPPY! (now time to rig up the camera and floats!)
hoffboy is online now Find More Posts by hoffboy
Last edited by hoffboy; May 02, 2008 at 12:09 AM.
to remove ads between posts