Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 11, 2011, 04:48 PM
Jeremy-I'm crash proof!
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Mar 2008
4,204 Posts
Hi question. Something I really should know already. Do you typically switch to low rates on everything when you go to land? Or just say elevator? Or am I completely off here???

Sunday I watched some people flipping "A" switch before landing.
neck is online now Find More Posts by neck
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2011, 05:11 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
1,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neck View Post
Hi question. Something I really should know already. Do you typically switch to low rates on everything when you go to land? Or just say elevator? Or am I completely off here???

It's entirely personal preference, all depends on how your aircraft is setup and how you like your controls.
M.Huerta is offline Find More Posts by M.Huerta
Old Apr 11, 2011, 05:27 PM
Trolls more than he flys.
USA, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Sep 2009
1,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neck View Post

Yea, if you like really high rates that are hard to land/take off with, then you can use dual rates if you want. Also,maybe the persOn you saw flipping a switch flipped a flap or retract switch.
Gringostr is online now Find More Posts by Gringostr
Old Apr 11, 2011, 05:39 PM
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Sep 2010
1,169 Posts
I do see how it is a personal preference and even model specific. But from a novice point of view, I would assume that one can have greater throws with less expo during flight (aka high rate). That would make the turns and banks more aggressive right? For landing though, I would think you want low\er rates for less throw correct? Generally speaking. How about the expos for landing? The more expo the slower the servo movement at the beginning to middle of stick correct? But, with a smaller window for pilot errors would one want less expo during landing so the aircraft can react faster and get out if need be?? I guess I’m looking for a general baseline as well.
Vlodek9 is offline Find More Posts by Vlodek9
Old Apr 11, 2011, 05:40 PM
Jeremy-I'm crash proof!
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Mar 2008
4,204 Posts
I hadn't thought about a retract or a flap. Opps. I think I'm just trying to understand why and when I would use high or low rates for anything other than 3D. I've been trying it on my T-28 to make my take offs less squirrelly. (Not a word I guess)
Old Apr 11, 2011, 05:41 PM
Jeremy-I'm crash proof!
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Mar 2008
4,204 Posts
Can you adjust EXPO "in flight" Or should you?
Old Apr 11, 2011, 05:44 PM
Yeah, I can fly...
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Jun 2005
2,454 Posts
You would have it programmed on the dual rate switch. I can't imagine adjusting it in mid-flight on a DX6i or DX7 that most of us use or any other radio for that matter. If you want to crash then maybe it would be a good way to do so.
wyldkrd is offline Find More Posts by wyldkrd
Old Apr 11, 2011, 05:49 PM
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Sep 2010
1,169 Posts
If I’m not mistaken you can program expo on high and low rates prior to flight correct?? That way the expo on the high is for high and expo for low is on low. Or is the expo on DX7, one expo setting for both high and low?
Vlodek9 is offline Find More Posts by Vlodek9
Old Apr 11, 2011, 05:51 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
1,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldkrd View Post
You would have it programmed on the dual rate switch. I can't imagine adjusting it in mid-flight on a DX6i or DX7 that most of us use or any other radio for that matter. If you want to crash then maybe it would be a good way to do so.
Exactly, you could always have the rates the same in both positions but different expo and vary the expo that way, but you would only have 2 options, unless you had like an Aurora 9 or 9503, etc that can do triple rates.
M.Huerta is offline Find More Posts by M.Huerta
Old Apr 11, 2011, 05:52 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,119 Posts
Exponential ("expo") is programmed into each control surface function in the radio when you're setting up a plane. It has nothing to do with low or high rates (you can program expo on each). All expo does is allow you to smooth out the servo travel.

Dual rates are used to program different servo arm deflection rates.

It is not advisable to try to "program" anything while a plane is in the air. If you take off and find you have too little or too much throw on a control surface, or your controls are "twitchy", best thing to do is land as quickly as safely possible and make adjustments on the ground while the plane is secured.

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Apr 11, 2011, 05:56 PM
Jeremy-I'm crash proof!
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Mar 2008
4,204 Posts
Pat is Dual rates refering to low/high rates??? Or another term completely?
Old Apr 11, 2011, 06:09 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,119 Posts
Yes, "dual rates" are the same as "high/low rates". Most common radios these day have 3 two-position switches on them that are the dual rate switches for aileron, elevator and rudder.

Some of the newer radios have 3-position switches that allow you to do triple rates as Matt stated above.

And on each rate, you can program expo individually (on better radios).

Although I fly a JR XP9303 with XPS 2.4GHz onboard, I'm really looking forward to their new 16-channel radio that should be coming in July (and at $249, you can't go wrong!):

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1243767

The features that this radio is going to have will be amazing! Once I get this, the 9303 will become my backup radio.

Pat
Old Apr 11, 2011, 06:12 PM
Trolls more than he flys.
USA, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Sep 2009
1,880 Posts
Yes. "Dual" rates. Two rates. low, and high. also forget what I said about the people maybe have been flipping a flap or gear switch, because if you want easier landings and takeoffs, use dual rates. I agree with M.Huerta, you can have the rates the same on both settings, but the expo different, lower percentage expo on high rates, higher expo on low rates. fly with high rates, land with low rates.
Gringostr is online now Find More Posts by Gringostr
Old Apr 11, 2011, 06:27 PM
House of Paine
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2007
2,168 Posts
With my 3D planes I typically have about 30% expo on low rates but up to 75% on high rates. With 3D rates being so aggressive they need much higher expo to soften up the area around center stick. Lower rates don't need as much expo since the throws are not that agressive. I think when using low rates for say precision type stuff, lower expo means a much more linear response which most folks prefer. I belive with the A9 you can have like 9 or 12 flight conditions and setup different rates/expo on each if you wanted

I'm also keeping an eye on the XPS radio. Not only a great price, but some really cool features like model select for example. I just put an XPS module in one of my A9's to use the 3 gram 6 channel rec's with foamies. If that goes well I'll try XPS in some balsa stuff. They are also coming out with a board for the A9 which will make it fullly XPS as far as programming goes but supposedly still work with the touchscreen, that could be cool.
weaser42 is offline Find More Posts by weaser42
Old Apr 11, 2011, 06:31 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,119 Posts
Kevin,

I've been using those Nano's since they came out. Every time I see Jim and Scott I wind up getting 2 or 3 more! I love those things! And at $30 a pop, you can't beat them!

Scott's son is using a Nano in his new turbine jet.

Pat