HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 26, 2011, 01:50 PM
Trolls more than he flys.
USA, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Sep 2009
1,880 Posts
Ummm... I mean I have no experience with sky lipo.
and I have lots of VERY GOOD experience with Gens Ace.
Gringostr is offline Find More Posts by Gringostr
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2011, 02:33 PM
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined May 2004
5,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlodek9 View Post
Hi guys,
I’m in the market for a 5s and 6s 5000mah 30c batteries. Believe it or not the two main sources HK and ValueHobbies are out of the 6s. Hobbypartz has some with relatively similar pricing. But I never heard or used Blue Lipo or Sky Lipo brand before. If anyone has any personal input of said brands, please let me know what you think.
I know that they are not Hyperions but this is for a maiden so I'm going cheap until I know the aircraft and pilot is airworthy.
Thanks
Rob
I now swear by Hyperion batteries, they may be more expensive, but in my opinion they are well worth it. If you get a bad pack from the "Value brand" on-line places that are overseas, you are more than likely stuck with a bad pack, Hyperion packs can be purchased at just about any of the local hobby shops, and the distributor is here in town, warranties are typically handled pretty quick, unless there is obvious abuse.
In my opinion they are the better bang for the buck, and you help support your local hobby shop

Victor
TBolt is offline Find More Posts by TBolt
Old Mar 26, 2011, 02:51 PM
Trolls more than he flys.
USA, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Sep 2009
1,880 Posts
Go to Hobby Hanger. Ray does hyperion.
Gringostr is offline Find More Posts by Gringostr
Old Mar 26, 2011, 05:11 PM
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Sep 2010
1,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBolt View Post
I now swear by Hyperion batteries, they may be more expensive, but in my opinion they are well worth it. If you get a bad pack from the "Value brand" on-line places that are overseas, you are more than likely stuck with a bad pack, Hyperion packs can be purchased at just about any of the local hobby shops, and the distributor is here in town, warranties are typically handled pretty quick, unless there is obvious abuse.
In my opinion they are the better bang for the buck, and you help support your local hobby shop

Victor
Victor, I could not agree with you more. I'm sold on Hyperion with its constant reliability and great output. But the price is high. I own 2 planes and have 2 Hyperion batteries per. That is it, so lots of recharge cycles. Wish I could get more but $60 (3S) to $90 (4S) is expensive.
Yes I did look at Hyperion for the 5S and 6S I need. But my total would be $300 + just for one set of batteries. Thatís over half of what I paid for the fully loaded EDF that its going into. And as i said, once I do get the batteries, it will be my maiden. Never flew an EDF before so chances are high that something will go wrong.
So, I'm stuck. I would love to have the Hyperion batteries, but unless you know of a place that will sell the 5s 5000 and a 6s 5000 GX3 for total of $150, it just doesn't make much sense at this point. Later if it and I survive, different story.
But Guys, I'm totally open to suggestions. Anyone has any recommendations, I'm all ears.

Rob
Vlodek9 is offline Find More Posts by Vlodek9
Old Mar 26, 2011, 06:25 PM
Glitch Master
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Apr 2007
2,009 Posts
Rob, I personally use 3S and 4S batteries (all of them 5000mah's), and from them I can make 3S, 4S, 6S, 7S, 8S, 9S, 10S, 11S, & 12S systems, by simply wiring them in series (and/or parallel) in different configurations. This reduces possible battery damage from a crash (you could damage one of the batteries, but rarely all of them), they are moveable about the airframe to help with CG, and you "standardize" your battery stock, and subsequently you are a lot more flexible with the number of applications you can use these batteries in.

Also, I only buy Hyperion or XPS batteries, they never let me down. My 2 cents...
Jim Varley is offline Find More Posts by Jim Varley
Old Mar 26, 2011, 06:49 PM
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined May 2004
5,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Varley View Post
Rob, I personally use 3S and 4S batteries (all of them 5000mah's), and from them I can make 3S, 4S, 6S, 7S, 8S, 9S, 10S, 11S, & 12S systems, by simply wiring them in series (and/or parallel) in different configurations. This reduces possible battery damage from a crash (you could damage one of the batteries, but rarely all of them), they are moveable about the airframe to help with CG, and you "standardize" your battery stock, and subsequently you are a lot more flexible with the number of applications you can use these batteries in.

Also, I only buy Hyperion or XPS batteries, they never let me down. My 2 cents...
Nicely put Jim. And that was more like a dimes worth.
TBolt is offline Find More Posts by TBolt
Old Mar 26, 2011, 06:58 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Varley View Post

Guys, I need 11s total in series. Thats allot of 3s, 4s batteries. No argument about Hyperion but at $300 I won't be able to fly the EDF till Christmas. As it is, it has been sitting for almost 5 months now. Need a cheaper solution or an additional sponsor other than my wife.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 07:51 PM
gilbert,az
Joined Dec 2005
3,948 Posts
Rob i have a set of batteries that would work, I used a 5s and 6s 5000 mah turnigy 25-35c. I still have a set that i can sell you at a very discounted price and it will be a great fit and keep you cg where it should be.
Mike's Falcon (3 min 56 sec)
Here is a vid of your plane with that battery set up.
mpope1 is offline Find More Posts by mpope1
Last edited by mpope1; Mar 26, 2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 10:51 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope1 View Post
Rob i have a set of batteries that would work, I used a 5s and 6s 5000 mah turnigy 25-35c. I still have a set that i can sell you at a very discounted price and it will be a great fit and keep you cg where it should be. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa8id...layer_embedded Here is a vid of your plane with that battery set up.
PM you.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 10:16 PM
Jeff F.
Joined Jul 2007
645 Posts
I'm working on the air-retracts for the Mustang.
What do I use to seal all the little connections?
I have them working.....but have slow leaks.
jefffancy is offline Find More Posts by jefffancy
Old Mar 28, 2011, 12:34 PM
Jeremy-I'm crash proof!
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Mar 2008
4,269 Posts
For those that didn't know.

Spektrum has announced a new implementation of the Spread Spectrum technology. It is called DSMX. The previous technology was called DSM2.

The newly released DX8 came with the hardware that supports DSMX and the ability for the user to Upgrade the Firmware to DSMX as well as any future upgrades. The DX8 replaces the DX7. Most other JR/Spektrum radios need to be sent in and upgraded to DSMX, for a $75 charge with one way shipping paid for by them. All JR/Spektrum DSM2 transmitters, that are in inventory, are being Upgraded to DSMX before they are sold. They should be available by the middle of March. There is also a line of new receivers that are DSMX compatible.

If you have your transmitter upgraded to DSMX, it will still work with the older DSM2 receivers and the newer DSMX receivers.
If you choose not to upgrade your transmitter to DSMX, it will still be compatible with the newer DSMX receivers, but only in DSM2 mode.
If you buy a newer DSMX transmitter, it will still work with the older DSM2 receivers.
neck is online now Find More Posts by neck
Old Mar 28, 2011, 08:51 PM
Pattern Abuser
Gilbert, AZ
Joined Apr 2008
2,821 Posts
Thanks Jeremy- very helpful. I need a new radio and I didn't know that.
jimflys1 is offline Find More Posts by jimflys1
Old Mar 28, 2011, 09:25 PM
Glitch Master
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Apr 2007
2,009 Posts
...and be warned that any radios that are upgraded to "DSMX" technology will NOT work on any original DSM RX's you may have in your inventory anymore (such as an AR6000), they will only work with DSM2 and the new DSMX technology. The only time that DSMX technology would make much of a difference to you, is at a very large flying event with 50+ radios being operated simultaneously. I will NOT be upgrading my DX7 for this reason (and the $75 too)...

Please refer to http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=SPMDX7UPG to review for yourself as to whether or not you choose to upgrade your equipment, and I also suspect that there will be a fire sale on those Rxs in the near future on the forum .
Jim Varley is offline Find More Posts by Jim Varley
Old Mar 29, 2011, 12:37 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,203 Posts
Glad I went with XPS. They have a new 16-ch radio coming for only $249, and RXs are only $30 each for the Nano 6-ch.

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Mar 29, 2011, 01:15 AM
Joined Sep 2010
1,212 Posts
I’m very curious about the XPS. The “reviews” so far are promising allot of new and exciting features. But there is always two sides to a coin. What I mean by that, I like the idea of all the features especially the open source. But, the more features you put in the more point of failures you have. And open source can be very dangerous if not checked, and rechecked, and rechecked. I wander what the policy regarding warranty will be if you download an open source add-on written by someone not affiliated with XPS that trashes the radio and/or crashes a plane??
Based on my experience with new technology whether new MS OS, Iphone, ipad, Android, Spectrum DX, ect. I’m a firm believer of never buying first generation anything. Still, when the time is right, most likely I will get one not because I need it but because it’s one more thing to take apart and think I can make it better.