HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 23, 2011, 08:14 AM
Jeremy-I'm crash proof!
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Mar 2008
4,110 Posts
Pat are you suggesting this one might end up nose in at the end of the AMA runway? Thought about that.
neck is online now Find More Posts by neck
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2011, 11:39 AM
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Sep 2010
970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neck View Post
Hi picked up a P-47 weeks ago and I've been debating on installing the optional flaps. I everything to install them just wondering if I should wait until I maiden it and get used to it. I have retracts on the way also.

I also picked up more 3s 2200 batteries and I read that people are installing 2600's and some mention 4s. Worth it?
Jeremy,
As I wrote you before, hold off on the upgrades. Do your maiden and couple of other flights first. That way if it crash and burns you wonít be out of money on the upgrades that you never used. Iím not trying to talk you out of the upgrades. Iím just saying be patient, you can always buy and/or install later after you know that the aircraft is airworthy.
From experience, regarding the battery. Last weekend I upgraded my stuka battery from 3s to 4s which required a new prop size as well. Long story short, it is only thanks to Rick and Jim that I still have the Stuka. Point is that despite it sounds like a simple battery upgrade, you need to do some homework. As a result I now own a power meter and 3 different size props, 2 of which will never be used again on the Stuka because they over power my ESC with the 4s.
Vlodek9 is offline Find More Posts by Vlodek9
Old Mar 23, 2011, 12:10 PM
Trolls more than he flys.
USA, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Sep 2009
1,880 Posts
Good words!
Gringostr is offline Find More Posts by Gringostr
Old Mar 23, 2011, 12:59 PM
Jeremy-I'm crash proof!
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Mar 2008
4,110 Posts
Ahh don't give him too much credit. He gets a big head. 10 days off work to work and fly planes! I think I need to call your wife! You get the floor done?
Old Mar 23, 2011, 01:07 PM
Joined Sep 2010
970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neck View Post
Ahh don't give him too much credit. He gets a big head. 10 days off work to work and fly planes! I think I need to call your wife! You get the floor done?
Hate the game not the player. Actually itís not as great as I thought. I felt better yesterday right out of surgery then I do today. I move like a 150 year old man that got kicked in the balls. But, I will work on my planes, ohh yes, I will work on my planes.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 04:40 PM
Jeremy-I'm crash proof!
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Mar 2008
4,110 Posts
Feels pretty good to write that check to the AMA. Believe me it's a big deal in my house when I write a check. Haven't written one in years.

Now I need one of those stamp thing's. Do you still have to lick them?
Last edited by neck; Mar 24, 2011 at 06:53 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 06:14 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
16,964 Posts
^^ LOL!

Yeah, I don't write many checks these days either. In fact, the box I have now will probably be the last one I ever buy!

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Mar 24, 2011, 08:26 PM
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined May 2004
4,987 Posts
Yea, I kind of wonder when the batch I have will start to decompose.
And those little square thingies on the envelope, I think they are self stick now, I just want to know where they put the send button on them.
TBolt is offline Find More Posts by TBolt
Old Mar 25, 2011, 12:43 AM
Jeff F.
Joined Jul 2007
645 Posts
Texan AT-6

As usual I am stretching my limits again.
I love to learn.
I have aquired this this plane from a very good friend of all of us. (Thank you tbolt).
It is a Graupner Texan AT-6. 63" wingspan. I am going to finish it in the Aeroshell graphics. Callie graphics has supplied the decals to finish it. $30 for the set. I have promised them that I would spread the word on their good service.
What I am looking for is help with power. I really want to go all out on this one. A three bladed prop for realism, with a motor and esc to go with it. I have a very diverse stock of bats to make it work. Many bats, and a series connector. Full power should be an option, not required.
To Mike Pope....I am thinking rivets. How much Southern Comfort should I have in stock?
My time frame is a maiden at the "beat the heat" event.
Thank you all for your help, couldn't do it without you all.
Jeff
Maybe this should be a new thread????
This is "Jeff's" plane...not Corey's!
jefffancy is offline Find More Posts by jefffancy
Last edited by jefffancy; Mar 25, 2011 at 12:51 AM.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 12:57 AM
gilbert,az
Joined Dec 2005
3,947 Posts
Wow nice texan, I was on a waiting list for that plane years ago thru hobby lobby, I gave up and wound up with the H9. Prop clearence is an issue, so I would suggest a higher kv motor that will spin a smaller prop and still give you good power. Mine has a 68" w.s. and I am using a A50-14l with a 15 3/4x 13 apc prop. I would think the A50-10 or 12S would work on 5s. My T-34 had a 10s on 5s and it screamed with a 12x10 prop. I think apc makes a 3 bladed prop in that size range. Texans actually only had 2 bladed props on them, the only reason I run a 3 blader is cause my motor kv is a little to low and I wouldn't be able to swing a large enough 2 blade because of the clearence issue. Corey's gonna like the way they fly, and hate the way they land(and take off), but I am sure he is up for the challenge!
mpope1 is offline Find More Posts by mpope1
Old Mar 25, 2011, 10:41 AM
Jeff F.
Joined Jul 2007
645 Posts
After talking with Mike, I found the T-6 was a 2 bladed prop. Makes things easier.
jefffancy is offline Find More Posts by jefffancy
Old Mar 25, 2011, 08:48 PM
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined May 2004
4,987 Posts
Hacker A50 is a good choice, but on the other side of the spectrum is the Turnigy SK series 50-55 (fewer bucks)

Mike is correct about the prop also, only 2 bladed.
Oh by the way his size rivets would probably be more scale on the T-6 also (Sorry Mike couldn't resist)
Southern Comfort? I say one good bottle of Tequila is all you need.
TBolt is offline Find More Posts by TBolt
Old Mar 26, 2011, 10:39 AM
Joined Sep 2010
970 Posts
Battery Brand Question

Hi guys,
Iím in the market for a 5s and 6s 5000mah 30c batteries. Believe it or not the two main sources HK and ValueHobbies are out of the 6s. Hobbypartz has some with relatively similar pricing. But I never heard or used Blue Lipo or Sky Lipo brand before. If anyone has any personal input of said brands, please let me know what you think.
I know that they are not Hyperions but this is for a maiden so I'm going cheap until I know the aircraft and pilot is airworthy.
Thanks
Rob
Old Mar 26, 2011, 12:32 PM
Trolls more than he flys.
USA, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Sep 2009
1,880 Posts
Blue lipo has always sucked for me, they are really flimsy and the solder joints are always
coming undone. I do not know about Sky Lipo, maybe post a thread asking about them. and so far, Sky lipo are great. solid, pretty light, 5c charging rate, good solder joints, etc.
this might be a little more expensive than your looking for, but its a pretty good battery.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-30c-5300-6s1p.html
Gringostr is offline Find More Posts by Gringostr
Old Mar 26, 2011, 01:29 PM
Joined Sep 2010
970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringostr View Post
Blue lipo has always sucked for me, they are really flimsy and the solder joints are always
coming undone. I do not know about Sky Lipo, maybe post a thread asking about them. and so far, Sky lipo are great. solid, pretty light, 5c charging rate, good solder joints, etc.
this might be a little more expensive than your looking for, but its a pretty good battery.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-30c-5300-6s1p.html
Did you mean Gens Ace are great, and don't know about the Sky Lipo?
"I do not know about Sky Lipo, maybe post a thread asking about them. and so far, Sky lipo are great. solid, pretty light, 5c charging rate, good solder joints, etc."