SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 17, 2010, 07:09 AM
Raleigh NC
Joined Jul 2008
1,815 Posts
looks like this might be a little faster than building over a carved plug, wax paper between the frame and the form, have you thought about keying the forms into a center spine attached to the board(or just some spots of hot glue, warm with a heat gun when finished to remove) looks great..
tghsmith is online now Find More Posts by tghsmith
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2010, 08:33 AM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,582 Posts
I looked around at other modelers methods of dealing with ships boats and this seemed most economical. I'm not a fan of solid block modeling - it feels to me like there's as much work in the block as the boat, and a lot more waste. Here, if I miss-cut a form, I can cut another - if I gouge a block, it's a lot more work to fix.

William Mowll built boats for his S.S.Great Britain and his Warrior models in two different ways:

GB's boats he did with plugs and styrene using a sort of vacuum-less vacuum forming process. GB's real boats were iron and there 6 of them all alike.

For Warrior's boats he just bent up the frames, glued them to the keel, stuck a sheer-clamp on it and started planking. I can't imagine doing something this frail in that manner - especially 6 or 8 of the things!

Both his models are 1:48 making his boats a little bit smaller than mine at 1:36. For instance, Warrior's launch is 34', or 8-1/2" at 1:48, Constellation's launch is 31' 10" , or about 10-5/8" at 1:36.
JerryTodd is offline Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Old Sep 17, 2010, 11:40 AM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,582 Posts
Garboards and cutting bass sheet

Slapped the garboards on before running out to the dentist.

I dipped them in water and clamped them in place to pre-shape them a bit, then I glued on the starboard one, let it dry, and added the port one later.

I mentioned I'm using a roller cutter to cut strips and planks from 1/32nd basswood sheet. It's been great. I played with one of those x-acto strip cutters you place a knife in and try to run along the edge and have never had any luck at getting a straight clean cut like this. It works as well on 1/16" thick sheet, but I haven't tried it on thicker stuff. I assume the blade would cause the wood to split on the grain ahead of it in thicker material.

The cutter I'm using is attached to a track and you press it down to cut along the edge. I found it in a thrift show for $4 with a bag of 15 new blades! I also have a hand-held cutter I bought new years ago when I was making my own Civil War uniforms.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 04:25 PM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,582 Posts
More planks

With newly cleaned choppers gleaming in my head....

I applied the next two planks to the 1st cutter.

I used some card to make a pattern to spiel the plank, marked the plank, and shaped it. After checking it's fit, I wet it and clamped it in place. After a few minutes, I glued it up and clamped it down.

While that was setting I tried the pattern on the other side to happily find it fit. So, I cut another plank and when the first had set-up sufficiently, I applied the new one.

This will continue until I reach the gunwale.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 02:56 PM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,582 Posts
Before going away for the weekend, I redrew the plans for the rest of Constellation's boats. Tracing the rescaled original drawing onto "layers" - one for each station, profile, and plan - then laying out each layer on one sheet for cutting out the parts.

In a moment of genius, I remembered I had a box of full sheet label stashed away. I printed the layout sheets for the stern boat, quarterboat, and 2nd cutter on the label sheets so the patterns don't have to be pasted to the wood, just peel and stick.

This week I'm gonna try and finish planking the 1st cutter.
Old Oct 04, 2010, 04:55 PM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,582 Posts
Plankin a boat

Well, I didn't manage to finish anything last week, just two more planks (3rd on each side). Too many things going on.
I did manage to get 2 more planks on the 1st cutter today, there's 8 total planks applied so far. What slows this down is you've got to let the glue completely set up or you'll pull off prior work trying to put the next one on - that's no fun at all.
Last edited by JerryTodd; Oct 04, 2010 at 05:03 PM.
Old Oct 04, 2010, 05:29 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
868 Posts
Jerry--and you think a sabre wound or falling from a cavalry horse or getting shot at close range with a Walker is a source of pain--just looking at what you are doing with this model is making my head hurt. BTW, I alreay have personal experience with all of the above so I already KNOW!

Great stuff here on your models.
Paratrooper is offline Find More Posts by Paratrooper
Old Oct 04, 2010, 05:51 PM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,582 Posts
I've had a ramrod fly past my ear, a pistol load to the face, come off a few times (one or twice deliberately), been stepped on more times than I can count and you're right, it all seems trivial compared to lapstrake planking a 9" boat. Carvel planked, this thing would be a breeze - but only the launch is carvel planked (and coppered-the other torture).

I'm getting to where the clothespins won't do the job any longer. Seeing that, for the next boats I'll mount the molds on a narrower baseboard so I'll have room for the clothespins right up to the gun'l.
Last edited by JerryTodd; Oct 04, 2010 at 06:00 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 09:44 AM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,582 Posts
Don't worry folks - you haven't missed anything. Piles and piles of other things have gotten in the way of progress. All that's happen since the last post was rescaling and cutting out the forms for the Pride of Baltimore at 1:20 scale. A build log has been started in this forum.
Do stay tuned - Constellation's cutter will get completed in short order once life's little pains-in-the-ass are dealt with.
Last edited by JerryTodd; Jan 03, 2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old Jan 02, 2011, 11:20 AM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,582 Posts
Happy New Year

I managed to sneak off while everyone was looking for Advil and "hair of the dog," and work on the cutter a little this weekend. I got three more planks attached and a fourth cut and ready to install - which will get attached today.
Old Jan 02, 2011, 02:10 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,342 Posts
Great looking Cutter Jerry ! and i really like the build method too, the clinker planking is looking very good
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
Old Jan 02, 2011, 06:54 PM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,582 Posts
I've seen where people carvel plank the model but the planks are shaped like house siding to appear clinker planked. Then there's the idea of adding a thin strip at the bottom to raise the plank and again, give the impression of clinker planking.

I chose to actually overlap the planks. That's difficult enough. Clinch-nailing it all is gonna be a bear.

Last edited by JerryTodd; Jan 02, 2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old Jan 03, 2011, 04:59 AM
Vienna/Austria
Joined Jan 2009
1,055 Posts
Constellation at 1:20?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryTodd View Post
Don't worry folks - you haven't missed anything. Piles and piles of other things have gotten in the way of progress. All that's happen since the last post was rescaling and cutting out the forms for the Pride of Baltimore at 1:20 scale. A build log will appear for that when it actually begins in earnest.
Do stay tuned - Constellation's cutter will get completed in short order once life's little pains-in-the-ass are dealt with.
Hello Jerry Todd,
would you please be so kind to tell me/us the size of this hull at 1:20?
You know - just overall length, width and heigth.

I feel the need of some more size comparison to my Pirate galeon!

Thanks,
disabled.
disabled is offline Find More Posts by disabled
Old Jan 03, 2011, 08:58 AM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,582 Posts
Pride's specs

I went ahead and opened a build log here. The specs for the real boat and the model are posted there.
Old Jan 04, 2011, 07:02 PM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,582 Posts
Last planks!

Got the 7th planks done and the the 8th plank on the port side. Tonight I cut, fit, and glued the 8th plank on the starboard side - the last plank!

Once it sets up we'll see if the boat will come off the forms.

Then it's clamps, floor boards, seats, etc.