HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 28, 2009, 10:05 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,047 Posts
if you are having trouble getting it to flat spin, maybe you need to look at your setup. I've got mine exactly like the directions call for and it tumbles and spins like a drunken monkey.

My Slick will blender, and if I nail the power it drops into wicked knife edge spin. That is actually the best way for me to enter a ke spin with the Slick. Other ways aren't as efficient for me.

Another nice one is fly in a knife edge and outside snap it, then hold the rudder and elevator in and center the ailerons. I did that today and it was so violent that I thought the thing was going to explode.

Flat spins aren't so hard that you need s lot of good technique. You just get it spinning and hang on. If you're having difficulty getting it to go in, your CG is probably off or you might be nose heavy. You also need all the rudder movement you can steal.

Now, if you want it to totally flatten out and spin fast....and you aren't going to believe this, try it on low rates. The big cotrols with a lot of deflection are a lot of drag, and than makes it difficult for the plane to go in. Try it on low rates by entering a conventional right rudder/right aileron/up elevator control imput, and then center the ailerons after a rotation or two. That should flatten it out reasonably well, but if you want more, center the elevator. Then you can push in down to speed the spin up, or up to slow it down.

Be warned that when you get a plane into this sort of deep spin it won't want to come out of it without a few more turns after you release the sticks, but you can stop the spin fairly precisely with reverse rudder.
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2009, 10:05 PM
Pants on the ground
exit 26 Jersey
Joined Jul 2007
6,220 Posts
We'll see. I expect so..it's farly awesome. New video tonite.[/QUOTE]

Damn that Ben is a "Magic man" the only thing this addiction hurts is my wallet but the smile on my face is so worth it.
xsubsailor is offline Find More Posts by xsubsailor
Old Jun 28, 2009, 11:56 PM
Guerilla Huck Power..activate!
Round Rock, TX
Joined May 2004
2,052 Posts
IMHO you have to work to get the Slick to flat spin properly. KE spins for me are easy though. It's not like the SHP/SR where you can just hold full left rudder, full right aileron, and about half throttle and watch it spin around it's tail flat as a pancake. The Slick requires more effort.

Brett
smelyal8r is offline Find More Posts by smelyal8r
Old Jun 29, 2009, 07:36 AM
Pants on the ground
exit 26 Jersey
Joined Jul 2007
6,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smelyal8r
IMHO you have to work to get the Slick to flat spin properly. KE spins for me are easy though. It's not like the SHP/SR where you can just hold full left rudder, full right aileron, and about half throttle and watch it spin around it's tail flat as a pancake. The Slick requires more effort.

Brett

I agree I do have to work at the flat spin on the slick, which I don't understand but everything else is like butter The slick is by far the easiest plane to hover it just seems to lock in with the minimal skill I have.

Glenn
Old Jun 30, 2009, 09:46 AM
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2008
329 Posts
I can get the flat spins going fairly well, but it seems prone to fall out of the knife edge spin for me. It will spin a few times but then will fall on its back and flatten out and start flopping around. I get into from a full power waterfall. I am still experimenting with the right amount of rudder and aileron. The funny thing is, every once in a while it does it perfectly with seemingly the same inputs.
Berean is offline Find More Posts by Berean
Old Jun 30, 2009, 09:53 AM
Rockwall, TX
Joined Dec 2004
643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goflyhighrc
I am flying TP V2 4s 2600 mah lipos in my 51" Slick.Flying for 5 minutes and I put back in an average of about 900mah. How much more flying time would you say I can get out of these Is there a formula

Thanks

gofly
I fly those same packs and I easily go for 8 minutes with really hard flying.

Also been flying some Zippy 2650 20 C packs and I am less than impressed with these batteries. 5 minutes of the same flying style and I can tell the batteries are falling off. Makes me nervous not having the extra punch when you might need it.

David
DPHOYE is offline Find More Posts by DPHOYE
Old Jun 30, 2009, 10:00 AM
United States, GA, Woodstock
Joined Jan 2007
6,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berean
I can get the flat spins going fairly well, but it seems prone to fall out of the knife edge spin for me. It will spin a few times but then will fall on its back and flatten out and start flopping around. I get into from a full power waterfall. I am still experimenting with the right amount of rudder and aileron. The funny thing is, every once in a while it does it perfectly with seemingly the same inputs.
I use full left aileron and rudder along with full down elevator to get into the spin from a right stall turn....once it starts to rotate I center the aileron. I usually use 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. The slow KE spin looks really cool to me....plus I can come out in any direction I want because I can keep up with it.
GoldCraft is offline Find More Posts by GoldCraft
Old Jun 30, 2009, 10:01 AM
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2008
329 Posts
Gofly,

It's generally safe to use up 80% of the capacity, so if you're putting back less than 2100mah then you're okay.

One formula that I have found to be true from testing on my setups is that the current draw at WOT is about 3X that of hover throttle. So, the position of your left stick makes a huge difference in flying time.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 10:06 AM
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2008
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCraft
I use full left aileron and rudder along with full down elevator to get into the spin from a right stall turn....once it starts to rotate I center the aileron. I usually use 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. The slow KE spin looks really cool to me....plus I can come out in any direction I want because I can keep up with it.
I'll give that a try. I have thought that I might have too much throttle.

I was able to get the Velox to do a wicked knife edge spin from a waterfall with full power, but it doesn't seem to work as well as on the Slick.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 10:21 AM
Joined Jan 2007
6,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berean
I'll give that a try. I have thought that I might have too much throttle.

I was able to get the Velox to do a wicked knife edge spin from a waterfall with full power, but it doesn't seem to work as well as on the Slick.
Yeah..the Velox is a KE spin machine for sure.

If the Slick tries to get on its back you can goose the aileron to get it back on its side...you just have to play with it a bit to see what works best in different power senerios. 1/2 to 3/4 throttle is the easiest range to for me to keep it in with no aileron once its in.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 05:11 PM
Don't watch this...
Northern IL
Joined Oct 2003
5,583 Posts
Flat spins are awesome.
Easier to do than many manuvers
I do them all the time on all my planes, just love the look and sound of them.
But, like any trick, practice nets results.
I now know instintevly how much of A, E, R & T to put into each plane to net a good flat spin.
The best to date has been the 47"SHP...by far.
The Velox is 2nd, Slick 3rd, 55Edge 4th, but all do it well. I judge "best" by flatness and roation speed. So, really, it all depends on the set up. "It all depends on everything realy."

Make sure to go left rudder for upright and right rudder for inverted.

Once you get the hang of the stick inputs needed for each specific plane. Do a couple with pulsing throttle. Maybe one strong pulse per rev. Takes a couple of pulsing revs to start to see the results, so start hi. Continue to time a strong pulse once per rev and just keep at it. This often nets a faster rotation.

We never see enough flat spins in vids. We all post our crazy 3D moves, but a good flat spin is good to watch. It takes up some time so is something to see. Many of the more vilolent 3D moves are over very quickly. A flat spin can be held for many seconds as the altitude drop is slow. Never see enough of them in vids do we?

CooHead
CooHead is offline Find More Posts by CooHead
Old Jun 30, 2009, 05:20 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,171 Posts
hehe yea i love a flat spin too.inverted are my fav..i flat spun my extreme flight yak all the way to the ground hehehe yea was a while ago,but i think i felt ben had a better plane for the power system in it.so the hard landing,inverted,on the prop,was not that big a deal..lil glue and was ready to beat on some more lolol
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Jun 30, 2009, 05:50 PM
Pants on the ground
exit 26 Jersey
Joined Jul 2007
6,220 Posts
+1 for the shp that would flat spin all day and everyone was perfect
Old Jun 30, 2009, 07:36 PM
Joined Jan 2007
6,794 Posts
I like to flip the plane back and forth from upright flat spin to inverted....its real easy to do and looks cool .
Old Jun 30, 2009, 08:42 PM
Don't watch this...
Northern IL
Joined Oct 2003
5,583 Posts
yea?...I've tried that, but never enough to get the hang of it.
What is the best way to "flip" it? Aileron or elevator?
CooHead is offline Find More Posts by CooHead