HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 06, 2013, 06:10 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,404 Posts
I got a response from hitec about my servos. Going to try then back on my old 8fg radio and see if that will smooth them out. If not he asked me to send them back to get looked at. He said he hasn't heard of mine and my friends issue before.

Mine were not notchy when l first got them. They were not notchy when my l built my friends 51 but his new 5085s were a bit. Well mine are now very notchy and his are really bad and he is scared to fly his plane because of it. The oonly thing l have done different has been getting a new radio and my friends seemed worse when he got his new radio. With that we both went up in resolution. I have since gone back down to the lower resolution and they are still notchy. I hooked them up to my futaba 7c and they are still notchy. Tried lowering voltage, changing receivers and all. Still notchy.
So last resort is to hook them up to the old radio that l know that they were smooth a few months ago and see if that changes anything.

Wait l just though about hooking them up to the programmer and seeing if resetting the servo will help. Going to try that now. Will let you know.
Point of the story is that hitec did contact me back and is offering to check out my servos and see if they can fix my issue. Way to go hitec!
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2013, 08:37 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,434 Posts
Losi, check and make sure the deadband is set low... I set mine to 1.
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Mar 06, 2013, 10:58 PM
Once u go yak u never go back
Erie, PA
Joined Mar 2005
1,290 Posts
Thinking of selling my slick.

Motrofly 3615-750
4 Hitec 5085's
don't remember the esc

Everything has less than 10 flights; like new.

What should I ask for it?
marksextra is offline Find More Posts by marksextra
Old Mar 07, 2013, 03:07 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansifsof44 View Post
Yeah I don't understand the same specs at the higher volt... A faster stronger 85 running at 8.4V is what I was referring to. After going HV in my 60 and 71 I feel the slower servos.
Its just like it is with motors, they use a lower Kv to match the power capability of the motor to the higher voltage. Only way to get more power/torque would be to use a physically larger motor.
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Mar 07, 2013, 04:15 AM
United States, GA, Woodstock
Joined Jan 2007
6,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksextra View Post

Motrofly 3615-750
4 Hitec 5085's
don't remember the esc

About 20% less than you have in it would be good IMO.
GoldCraft is offline Find More Posts by GoldCraft
Old Mar 07, 2013, 05:22 AM
United States, NJ, Middletown
Joined May 2012
399 Posts
Quote:

Motrofly 3615-750
4 Hitec 5085's
don't remember the esc

$100 on the nj/pa border for pickup and you got a deal ;-)
joshgluck is offline Find More Posts by joshgluck
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2013, 07:40 AM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
Its just like it is with motors, they use a lower Kv to match the power capability of the motor to the higher voltage. Only way to get more power/torque would be to use a physically larger motor.
I just don't understand that they would come out with a HV servo without increasing the performance... only benefit is you could run it off of a 2s pack. Which for me is not a option on this small of a airplane. I run HV servos in my 60" and 71" planes and the speed and power output is significantly more then there lower volt counter part of the same size. We have the technology.
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Mar 07, 2013, 08:19 AM
Once u go yak u never go back
Erie, PA
Joined Mar 2005
1,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCraft View Post
About 20% less than you have in it would be good IMO.
Thanks for the reply. I don't remember how much I've got in it, but I did a search in the classifieds and it looks like $350 might be the place to start. Beats me.
marksextra is offline Find More Posts by marksextra
Old Mar 07, 2013, 09:41 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I don't remember how much I've got in it, but I did a search in the classifieds and it looks like $350 might be the place to start. Beats me.
I'd start at $400 and accept anything greater than $330 or so.
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Mar 07, 2013, 10:26 AM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,012 Posts
Quote:

Motrofly 3615-750
4 Hitec 5085's
don't remember the esc

Ill take he ESC if you'll part out
Park_aviator is offline Find More Posts by Park_aviator
Old Mar 09, 2013, 03:42 AM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,078 Posts
A long tale of woe and determination!!!

So.... I finally had some time, and a clear work bench, so I decided to get started on my 51" Slick.....as per usual, I opened up all the holes in the covering, then glued in the control arms, then, as I like to do, I mounted the motor after making some spacers with my lathe....then it all went to "hell in a hand cart" as the old saying goes!!!! First thing....the prop shaft of the motor is just a few thousands of an inch larger than it was supposed to be (verified against other motors), and the Extreme Flight spinner won't go on, no biggie.....chuck it up in my lathe and polish the shaft down....easy-peasy..Spinner now fits.....Then I was going to fit the cowl, so, decided to put a block in the landing gear mount area, just to hold the fuselage off of the table, except that when I tried to unscrew the right side screw, the blind nut broke loose!!! Oh man!!! Then I thought, ok...no big deal, I would just re-seat it, and drive the prongs back into the wood disk that is epoxied onto the carbon fiber landing gear re-enforcement...WRONG! there are no prongs, and the screw won't come out, so I cut the head of the screw off, but there was no room to get what is left of the screw and the blind nut out due to the carbon fiber tube......

This leaves only one way to get the blind nut and screw out without cutting the covering on a brand new plane......take the carbon fiber tube out ... Fortunately, I have a selection of long "aircraft" drill bits, so, it was just a simple matter to drill through the length of the tube to take it out. Once the tube was out, the blind nut came out with no problem, except that now I have to fit another one in....guess what...it is one of those small M3 blind nuts, that nobody, and I mean nobody sells (at least not that I have been able to find)....so...I start looking through all my hardware bins, and you have to understand, I have tons of loose screws, bolts, washers, nuts, etc.....that one of these years I need to spend about three days and sort out...So...I start looking, and I must have found 100 or more 4-40 blind nuts, which are physically the same size, but of course you still can't thread an M3 screw in.....now, yes, somebody is going to say.....why not just use a 4-40 blind nut and screw.....yes, I could have easily done that....but I am finicky (anal) about that kind of thing....so, after about an hour of searching..i found ONE!!!! (but then, one was all I needed) Then the next trick,,,,get it down into the fuselage and tighten it....and even though I have very long needle nose pliers, and they would reach, I couldn't open them to hold the blind nut....so...... as I always save those little round discs that come out of laser cut "doo-dads", (like the battery boxes I sell for the Byper), I drilled a hole in one of those, and seated the blind nut into it...but then, I still have to put glue on it, get it in there, and then thread a screw into it to hold it in place while the glue dries.... So...I spray some Zap "kicker" onto the blind nut, and put just a small dab of thick CA on the end of a dowel, which allows me to stick the blind nut down into the fuselage, and screw the screw in...I then used a plastic "pipe-et" to put thick CA all around it..."voila"...the nut is back in....Now to see if I have any carbon tube the correct size.... the first piece I found was too large of diameter, and I thought that was all I had, but I looked some more, and found the perfect size.....So....after about two hours of fussing and cussing..I was right back where I started, except that now I have to clear my building table of all the boxes that I had to look through to find everything I needed...

Sorry for the long tale.....but maybe if anybody else has this problem, they will at least know the steps needed to fix it!!!

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SteveT.; Mar 09, 2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old Mar 09, 2013, 06:42 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Once the tube was out, the blind nut came out with no problem, except that now I have to fit another one in....guess what...it is one of those small M3 blind nuts, that nobody, and I mean nobody sells (at least not that I have been able to find).
http://rtlfasteners.com/RC/bn030.html

HK also lists them, but out of stock of course
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Mar 09, 2013, 06:58 AM
United States, NJ, Middletown
Joined May 2012
399 Posts
Quote:
So.... I finally had some time, and a clear work bench, so I decided to get started on my 51" Slick.....as per usual, I opened up all the holes in the covering, then glued in the control arms, then, as I like to do, I mounted the motor after making some spacers with my lathe....then it all went to "hell in a hand cart" as the old saying goes!!!! First thing....the prop shaft of the motor is just a few thousands of an inch larger than it was supposed to be (verified against other motors, and the Extreme Flight spinner won't go on, no biggie.....chuck it up in my lathe and polish the shaft down....easy-peasy..Spinner now fits.....Then I was going to fit the cowl, so, decided to put a block in the landing gear mount area, just to hold the fuselage off of the table, except that when I tried to unscrew the right side screw, the blind nut broke loose!!! Oh man!!! Then I thought, ok...no big deal, I would just re-seat it, and drive the prongs back into the wood disk that is epoxied onto the carbon fiber landing gear re-enforcement...WRONG! there are no prongs, and the screw won't come out, so I cut the head of the screw off, but there was no room to get what is left of the screw and the blind nut out due to the carbon fiber tube......

This leaves only one way to get the blind nut and screw out without cutting the covering on a brand new plane......take the carbon fiber tube out ... Fortunately, I have a selection of long "aircraft" drill bits, so, it was just a simple matter to drill through the length of the tube to take it out. Once the tube was out, the blind nut came out with no problem, except that now I have to fit another one in....guess what...it is one of those small M3 blind nuts, that nobody, and I mean nobody sells (at least not that I have been able to find)....so...I start looking through all my hardware bins, and you have to understand, I have tons of loose screws, bolts, washers, nuts, etc.....that one of these years I need to spend about three days and sort out...So...I start looking, and I must have found 100 or more 4-40 blind nuts, which are physically the same size, but of course you still can't thread an M3 screw in.....now, yes, somebody is going to say.....why not just use a 4-40 blind nut and screw.....yes, I could have easily done that....but I am finicky (anal) about that kind of thing....so, after about an hour of searching..i found ONE!!!! (but then, one was all I needed) Then the next trick,,,,get it down into the fuselage and tighten it....and even though I have very long needle nose pliers, and they would reach, I couldn't open them to hold the blind nut....so...... as I always save those little round discs that come out of laser cut "doo-dads", (like the battery boxes I sell for the Byper), I drilled a hole in one of those, and seated the blind nut into it...but then, I still have to put glue on it, get it in there, and then thread a screw into it to hold it in place while the glue dries.... So...I spray some Zap "kicker" onto the blind nut, and put just a small dab of thick CA on the end of a dowel, which allows me to stick the blind nut down into the fuselage, and screw the screw in...I then used a plastic "pipe-et" to put thick CA all around it..."voila"...the nut is back in....Now to see if I have any carbon tube the correct size.... the first piece I found was too large of diameter, and I thought that was all I had, but I looked some more, and found the perfect size.....So....after about two hours of fussing and cussing..I was right back where I started, except that now I have to clear my building table of all the boxes that I had to look through to find everything I needed...

Sorry for the long tale.....but maybe if anybody else has this problem, they will at least know the steps needed to fix it!!!

SteveT
Awwwwww Nutz!
Sorry Steve that really sucks. Glad you were able to get it sorted. Keep us posted on the build and maiden.
Good luck!
joshgluck is offline Find More Posts by joshgluck
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 09, 2013, 08:07 AM
United States, GA, Pooler
Joined Nov 2008
307 Posts
Sorry to hear about that Steve, I hope I don't have the same misfortunes!

While I'm here... Are their any special circumstances taken to mount the Motrolfly? (for future reference)
Thanks
pilot_keeter is offline Find More Posts by pilot_keeter
Old Mar 09, 2013, 08:13 AM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Jun 2008
1,157 Posts
3DHS great customer service.

Quote:
So.... I finally had some time, and a clear work bench, so I decided to get started on my 51" Slick.....as per usual, I opened up all the holes in the covering, then glued in the control arms, then, as I like to do, I mounted the motor after making some spacers with my lathe....then it all went to "hell in a hand cart" as the old saying goes!!!! First thing....the prop shaft of the motor is just a few thousands of an inch larger than it was supposed to be (verified against other motors, and the Extreme Flight spinner won't go on, no biggie.....chuck it up in my lathe and polish the shaft down....easy-peasy..Spinner now fits.....Then I was going to fit the cowl, so, decided to put a block in the landing gear mount area, just to hold the fuselage off of the table, except that when I tried to unscrew the right side screw, the blind nut broke loose!!! Oh man!!! Then I thought, ok...no big deal, I would just re-seat it, and drive the prongs back into the wood disk that is epoxied onto the carbon fiber landing gear re-enforcement...WRONG! there are no prongs, and the screw won't come out, so I cut the head of the screw off, but there was no room to get what is left of the screw and the blind nut out due to the carbon fiber tube......

SteveT
That suckz!!!

Sorry you had a heck of time with that.

I had a handful of hickups with my build. But they weren't so invasive as described above.

I would like to say that in spite of a few mis-manufactured pieces, 3DHS provided me with excellent customer service by readily responding to my emails and shipping replacement parts out quickly and without any hassle.
richord is offline Find More Posts by richord