Originally Posted by richord View Post
I have ordered the following for my build:

-51" 3DHS Slick
-3615-750 (light) Motrolfly
-Castle ICE Light 75
-Hitec 5085MG's
-24",12" and 2 * 6" extensions
-2" spinner with aluminum back plate
-2 * Xoar 14x7 Props. and 15 6 Xoar Prop.
-Gens Ace 2700mah 35C Lipos
-AR7000 RX

Did I miss anything? I'm considering getting a Castle 10A BEC.
Anyone have a similar setup to the above with a Castle Light ICE 75 without issues?

Are the any reinforcements or modifications needed to the airframe.

I'm thinking the motor box may need to be reinforced? If so, with medium CA suffice or Epoxy?
Does anything on the
The same motor I have been running for year and a 1/2 now. I must have over 400 flights on it. I think it is the perfect motor for the 51 Slick. Nice and lite with PLENTY of power. Good choice!
Gravitycheat is offline Find More Posts by Gravitycheat
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:50 PM
United States, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2011
182 Posts
Well got to work this morning and after about 30 min. I became ill natured & frustrated so I decided to go to the air field with my new slick. The weather was perfect. Went into the club house turned on the "jams" music for you old timers and took a breath of fresh air. I told myself this is going to be nice and I had the whole place to myself. All I have is 4 lipos for this plane, so every time I landed I would put that Battery on charge, put a fresh one in and keep flying. I got about 10 flights in before I felt like I better get back to work. The only problem with this plane is that I like it to much and don't want anything to happen to it , So no I did not hover down on the deck and torque roll it but I did become quite comfortable with it and one "pop a top" I did had 2complete rotations at the top and I said holy that was cool. What a way to relieve some stress. I highly recommend this form of relaxation when you get a chance.

Have a blessed Day

Steve "Stormz" Latham
stormz is offline Find More Posts by stormz
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:31 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormz View Post
Well got to work this morning and after about 30 min. I became ill natured & frustrated so I decided to go to the air field with my new slick. The weather was perfect. Went into the club house turned on the "jams" music for you old timers and took a breath of fresh air. I told myself this is going to be nice and I had the whole place to myself. All I have is 4 lipos for this plane, so every time I landed I would put that Battery on charge, put a fresh one in and keep flying. I got about 10 flights in before I felt like I better get back to work. The only problem with this plane is that I like it to much and don't want anything to happen to it , So no I did not hover down on the deck and torque roll it but I did become quite comfortable with it and one "pop a top" I did had 2complete rotations at the top and I said holy that was cool. What a way to relieve some stress. I highly recommend this form of relaxation when you get a chance.

Have a blessed Day

Steve "Stormz" Latham
Awesome Steve! This truly is a fantastic plane!! That's sweet that you can step away from work to fly.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:33 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,942 Posts
I just put 3 awesome flights on my 51 slick man what a joy that plane is to fly. Nothing flies like a slick On the second flight I decided it was time to do some Knife Edge mixing. I had just been doing knife edge with my sticks but it doesn't inspire much confidence for bringing it down low. So I put it into knife edge going each direction to see what was happening. After landing I put some guesses into my tx for mixing aileron and elevator to the rudder. On the third flight I found I was pretty close. Landed and made a few adjustments. It is now really close to being perfect and I did my first low knife edge pass with the 51 slick. When you have it going fast you just have to barely breath on that rudder to maintain level flight. Looking forward to some fun practice now.
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:05 PM
Joined Feb 2011
182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Awesome Steve! This truly is a fantastic plane!! That's sweet that you can step away from work to fly.
Yea, being the owner helps, also comes with the headaches as well but its worth it.
It is a successful local Auto Glass co. and we are bz right now with all the cold weather we been having lately. We need to be so I can buy more planes
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:22 PM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Jun 2008
1,157 Posts
Ok, I ordered the Castle 10A BEC. Even if all it does is give me confidence to max. the throttle and throws - it will be worth it. Went ahead and ordered the Castle Link as well.

Do you guys feel confident that the 75A ICE Lite will be ok with the Motrolfly and 2700mah 35C Lipos?
richord is offline Find More Posts by richord
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:23 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,942 Posts
They must use gravel on the roads there huh?

edit: I see you are in NC... probably not too much snow there haha
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:24 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,374 Posts
Quote:
Ok, I ordered the Castle 10A BEC. Even if all it does is give me confidence to max. the throttle and throws - it will be worth it. Went ahead and ordered the Castle Link as well.

Do you guys feel confident that the 75A ICE Lite will be ok with the Motrolfly and 2700mah 35C Lipos?
Yes...

SteveT.
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:31 PM
Joined Feb 2011
182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
They must use gravel on the roads there huh?

edit: I see you are in NC... probably not too much snow there haha
lol WE like gravel trucks too.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:32 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,942 Posts
I never pull more than 55 amps or so on my setup. You might pull 10 more on the motrofly. The 75 will be more than adequate.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:21 AM
Surrey, B.C.
Joined Feb 2004
406 Posts
Quote:
What do your 3300's weigh? I went witht the Gens Ace 2700mah 35C and I believe they are about 319 grams.
The 3300 I run are 345-350 grams, here's a link to them. I have also tried some nano-tech 3300 35-70c but much prefer the Glacier packs
Mach3 is offline Find More Posts by Mach3
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:31 AM
Surrey, B.C.
Joined Feb 2004
406 Posts
After my Hacker motor burned up taking out my CC 75 lite with it, I just like the safety of having a external BEC on anything 4S or higher. There is nothing like having to watch my Slick fly totally out of control that will make you run to the LHS to get a bec
Mach3 is offline Find More Posts by Mach3
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:14 PM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Jun 2008
1,157 Posts
My Slick arrived yesterday!!! Awesome kit!

I was a little bummed that both of the wings had something wrong with them, but I contacted 3DHS right away and they are shipping a replacement set. I was able to get them to ship them priority so I can have them to complete the build this weekend.

Then Tower Hobbies sent me 14x6 Xoar Props. vs the 14x7's I ordered. They are sending me 14x7's, but they are not likely going to make the weekend. So, I have the 14x6's and a 15x6. Have to see if I can use one of those for the maiden.

Do you guys chris cross your pull pull setups or just run them straight?

I have always removed a small amount of covering to glue in the horizontal stab. Do you guys agree with the manual - that NOT removing the covering is a stronger bond?

I like the metal thumb screws, but I'm concerned that they don't have the bite that the nylon thumb screws have. Has anyone switched to nylon or added a rubber/nylon washer, etc?
richord is offline Find More Posts by richord
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:18 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,318 Posts
Quote:
My Slick arrived yesterday!!! Awesome kit!

I was a little bummed that both of the wings had something wrong with them, but I contacted 3DHS right away and they are shipping a replacement set. I was able to get them to ship them priority so I can have them to complete the build this weekend.

Then Tower Hobbies sent me 14x6 Xoar Props. vs the 14x7's I ordered. They are sending me 14x7's, but they are not likely going to make the weekend. So, I have the 14x6's and a 15x6. Have to see if I can use one of those for the maiden.

Do you guys chris cross your pull pull setups or just run them straight?

I have always removed a small amount of covering to glue in the horizontal stab. Do you guys agree with the manual - that NOT removing the covering is a stronger bond?

I like the metal thumb screws, but I'm concerned that they don't have the bite that the nylon thumb screws have. Has anyone switched to nylon or added a rubber/nylon washer, etc?
always cross the pull pull cables, no need to remove covering, it has never been an issue on 1000's of flights over many 3dhs planes, I prefer the nylon, but adding a rubber O-ring works great
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:18 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,318 Posts
what was wrong with the wings?
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts