I have ordered the following for my build:

-51" 3DHS Slick
-3615-750 (light) Motrolfly
-Castle ICE Light 75
-Hitec 5085MG's
-Dubro HD Servo Arms
-24",12" and 2 * 6" extensions
-2" spinner with aluminum back plate
-2 * Xoar 14x7 Props. and 15 6 Xoar Prop.
-Gens Ace 2700mah 35C Lipos
-AR7000 RX

Did I miss anything? I'm considering getting a Castle 10A BEC.
Anyone have a similar setup to the above with a Castle Light ICE 75 without issues?

Are the any reinforcements or modifications needed to the airframe.

I'm thinking the motor box may need to be reinforced? If so, with medium CA suffice or Epoxy?
Does anything on the
richord is offline Find More Posts by richord
Last edited by richord; Feb 12, 2013 at 09:04 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:09 PM
Destructive Tester
Tampa, FL
Joined Apr 2008
1,344 Posts
Yup go with the BEC. Everything else looks good. I always make sure everything has been glued properly from the factory and will go over the weak spots with CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richord View Post

-51" 3DHS Slick
-Castle ICE Light 75
-Hitec 5085MG's
-AR7000 RX

Anyone have a similar setup to the above with a Castle Light ICE 75 without issues?

I'm thinking the motor box may need to be reinforced? If so, with medium CA suffice or Epoxy?
Does anything on the
jimmy34256 is offline Find More Posts by jimmy34256
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:20 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:

-51" 3DHS Slick
-Castle ICE Light 75
-Hitec 5085MG's
-AR7000 RX

Does anything on the
In my opinion you don't need an external BEC but it's also not going to hurt anything so if you want the extra insurance then go ahead and get that too. But I can tell you that I've beat the ever living snot out of my 51" Slick and the ESC has never struggled at all. On 60" Planes and up I think they are critical (ask me how I know) but below that, as long as you have a good ESC you should be good to go.

But again... for $20 or less it's good cheap insurance.
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:24 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,303 Posts
Quote:

-51" 3DHS Slick
-Castle ICE Light 75
-Hitec 5085MG's
-AR7000 RX

Does anything on the
Don't forget to get some heavy duty dubro arms for those 5085s
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:21 PM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Jun 2008
1,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
Don't forget to get some heavy duty dubro arms for those 5085s
I'll have to add that to my post. I did order them with my ARF.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:21 PM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Jun 2008
1,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
In my opinion you don't need an external BEC but it's also not going to hurt anything so if you want the extra insurance then go ahead and get that too. But I can tell you that I've beat the ever living snot out of my 51" Slick and the ESC has never struggled at all. On 60" Planes and up I think they are critical (ask me how I know) but below that, as long as you have a good ESC you should be good to go.

Were you running your setup with digital servos?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:38 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Were you running your setup with digital servos?
Yes.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:44 PM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
I don't intend to spark a debate on this (to each his own). I've only flown a few years and have kept my planes size relatively modest (<55" in size). In all the manufacture literature I've read, I have yet to come across any literature from any manufactures from the past several years that recommend an external BEC when building their model. It does drive my curiosity that across multiple forums and threads, I see similar recommendations for an external BEC when it comes to building a plane.

Does beg the question - when is an external BEC necessary if you buy a relatively good ESC (i.e. Castle)? When plane size is >55"? Installing higher capacity servos than your average servos? I have $20 and want to feel warm and fuzzy inside ?

Quote:

Reef_rc is offline Find More Posts by Reef_rc
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:51 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_rc View Post
I don't intend to spark a debate on this (to each his own). I've only flown a few years and have kept my planes size relatively modest (<55" in size). In all the manufacture literature I've read, I have yet to come across any literature from any manufactures from the past several years that recommend an external BEC when building their model. It does drive my curiosity that across multiple forums and threads, I see similar recommendations for an external BEC when it comes to building a plane.

Does beg the question - when is an external BEC necessary if you buy a relatively good ESC (i.e. Castle)? When plane size is >55"? Installing higher capacity servos than your average servos? I have $20 and want to feel warm and fuzzy inside ?
You pose a good question and one that I don't really have a good answer to.

But I can tell you that on my 57" SC and my 58" Edge I've had problems where I momentarily lose control of my plane after doing a high stress manuever such as a full speed blender or a hard tumble. In all instances I was relying on the internal castle BEC. I've been TOLD that these manuevers might have created too much stress for the ESC and it shut down and then reset.

So now I'm going to use an external BEC for the larger planes. By the way - both times I was running digital servos. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it or not...
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:09 PM
Epoxy & CA Investor
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,619 Posts
Quote:
You pose a good question and one that I don't really have a good answer to.

But I can tell you that on my 57" SC and my 58" Edge I've had problems where I momentarily lose control of my plane after doing a high stress manuever such as a full speed blender or a hard tumble. In all instances I was relying on the internal castle BEC. I've been TOLD that these manuevers might have created too much stress for the ESC and it shut down and then reset.

So now I'm going to use an external BEC for the larger planes. By the way - both times I was running digital servos. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it or not...
what servos were you using? i'm running 5245s off the internal bec on the ice 100 lite and have not experienced any loss of control. I have them set at 6.0v.
DenverJayhawk is online now Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:30 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
what servos were you using? i'm running 5245s off the internal bec on the ice 100 lite and have not experienced any loss of control. I have them set at 6.0v.
That's exactly what I was running. 5245's on an ice 100 at 6v. In my 57" SC I had this happen coming out a blender. I never regained power to the motor but I had servo control and I was able to elevator in for a decent landing with very minimal damage.

On my 58" Edge I went into a full throttle tumble and I heard the ESC beep one time and while I still had power I had no servo control. All I could do was watch it continue tumbling towards terra firma. At the last second I regained servo control and was able to harrier in for a landing in the grass. Zero damage.

The ESC was beeping when I got to it and the code indicated a signal loss but I know that I still had signal because I still had power to the motor AND my receiver and sattelite were not blinking.

I will say that it was with the same ESC so maybe the ESC was faulty? I'll never know because I'm just replacing the motor and the ESC to be safe. But many speculated that perphaps I was over powering the ESC.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:21 PM
Epoxy & CA Investor
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,619 Posts
Quote:
That's exactly what I was running. 5245's on an ice 100 at 6v. In my 57" SC I had this happen coming out a blender. I never regained power to the motor but I had servo control and I was able to elevator in for a decent landing with very minimal damage.

On my 58" Edge I went into a full throttle tumble and I heard the ESC beep one time and while I still had power I had no servo control. All I could do was watch it continue tumbling towards terra firma. At the last second I regained servo control and was able to harrier in for a landing in the grass. Zero damage.

The ESC was beeping when I got to it and the code indicated a signal loss but I know that I still had signal because I still had power to the motor AND my receiver and sattelite were not blinking.

I will say that it was with the same ESC so maybe the ESC was faulty? I'll never know because I'm just replacing the motor and the ESC to be safe. But many speculated that perphaps I was over powering the ESC.
oh wow. now you have me a little worried. Maybe I'll lay off the throttle on snaps and powered spins.
DenverJayhawk is online now Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:29 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
oh wow. now you have me a little worried. Maybe I'll lay off the throttle on snaps and powered spins.
Just get the Castle BEC and put it in there and you'll be good to go.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:59 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,700 Posts
Quote:
Just get the Castle BEC and put it in there and you'll be good to go.
+1 I wouldn't use a 5 amp internal on a 60 class and up. The rating is even lower when you start running higher voltage. i.e.: it would handle less on 6s vs 4s.
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:03 PM
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Apr 2010
2,659 Posts
On 48" and up, if I'm running digital servos I run an external BEC. Digis draw more current, and with how cheap a decent external BEC is I know I'd be pretty mad at myself if I wrecked a plane and suspected the internal one was at fault.
FireyFate is offline Find More Posts by FireyFate