HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:19 AM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Jun 2008
1,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
The castle esc is a smoother esc with more options. I highly recommended. The Motrolfly isn't any heavier after ken at subsonic lightens it and adds the fiberglass x mount. Its way more powerful and doesn't get hot like the hacker. The Motrolfly is a much better motor for the 51.

The 59 slick is a bigger smoother plane built for more precision. Its a great flying plane and fly very big for its size. It just doesn't do violent like the 51 and it doesn't fly as big as the 71. My 71 feels more violent than my 59 did.
My brothers description of the 59 was the best l think. He said the 59 slick fly like a refined 57 extra that hovers like a slick.
Asside from the "Violant" concensus, is the 51" going to fly smoothe also?
richord is offline Find More Posts by richord
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:21 AM
Joined Jun 2008
1,157 Posts
Asside from servo extensions - how many and what size?

Is there anything that doesn't come in the box that I will need?

What style Xoar prop to get? I bought one for another plane and love it but it was too wide at the root to fit my spinner on.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:30 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richord View Post
Totally depends on the pilot. I suggest watching some vids. There are tons of 51 vids on youtube.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:42 AM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,595 Posts
Quote:
It will fly as smooth as you want it to. I have a flying buddy who is one of the best precision flyers I know and when i gave him the sticks of this bird he made it look real precise.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:58 AM
Joined Jun 2008
1,157 Posts
I guess by smoothe, I meant easy to fly or constantly on the sticks for 3D.

Sorry for the tons of questions, but I'm psyched now that I have placed my order!

Do you guys use a separate BEC with the Castle 75 ICE Lite and Motrofly?

I was going to use Gens Ace 2500 4S 30-40C range. With the Motrofly, should I up the mah and/or C rating to get the most out of it?

2500mah * 30C * .001 = 75 Amps (if I did that right). Wow, simply going to a 40C would provide 100 Amps?
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:44 AM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,714 Posts
,,,nvm...too early in the morning...

SteveT.
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:44 AM
United States, MI, Allegan
Joined Aug 2012
696 Posts
Quote:

Sorry for the tons of questions, but I'm psyched now that I have placed my order!

I was going to use Gens Ace 2500 4S 30-40C range. With the Motrofly, should I up the mah and/or C rating to get the most out of it?

2500mah * 30C * .001 = 75 Amps (if I did that right). Wow, simply going to a 40C would provide 100 Amps?
I'm using a separate life pack for the receiver and servos.

Do some google searches for lipo battery info and about the c ratings. There is much to learn.
TimmyC is offline Find More Posts by TimmyC
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:47 AM
United States, MI, Allegan
Joined Aug 2012
696 Posts
I got my slick back together after breaking the fuse in half following a failed ke spin recovery. My canopy is busted up at the back and won't stay on. It's too cold here to tape out on every time. Does anyone have an orange canopy I can buy? It can be damaged, just needs to stay on with the latch.
TimmyC is offline Find More Posts by TimmyC
Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:12 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,615 Posts
Quote:

The inbuilt BEC in the castle Ice is rated for 4 or 5A and has voltage adjustable as high as you want, so will be fine. 30C batteries are also fine, the Motrolfly wont need 75A and in any case the Gens will give burst well over 75A if you needed.

If you did want some added insurance castle do a great little external BEC that can give 10A in bursts and 7A continuous, but really it's not necessary as the one in the Ice is fine.
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:36 PM
Santi
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
Quote:

The slicks have their own unique flying style that you just have to feel to really understand. Once you get used to it, you'll want more slicks! I wouldn't say it's easy because I would use that word for a foamy. The slick requires skill, but if you have flown balsa 3d, you should be fine. On low rates it is very locked in and flies very crisp lines. On high rates it's a monster and so fun to tumble and snap. It is also very smooth in harrier and other post stall moves. So with that being said, it's easier than most because it's a great design. I fly the 51 so reckless because I am most comfortable with it out of all of my balsa planes. It's very locked in both precision and 3d!
DaaBears is online now Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:53 AM
United States, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2011
182 Posts
For a 1st 3D balsa, IMO would be the 48 edge. what a great plane to learn on. Just my thoughts though. In fact if I ever crash mine beyond repair I will purchase another one for the hanger.
stormz is offline Find More Posts by stormz
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:01 AM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,595 Posts
well, my trusty old 51'' V1 yellow slick is entering its third year of life. i have crashed it three times and only have managed to break my LG three times and rip the counter balance off my rudder. I fixed that and it keeps on going. I have to get it some new LG and it will be ready for its third flying season. I wonder if it will make it this year?
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:09 AM
Joined Jun 2008
1,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormz View Post
For a 1st 3D balsa, IMO would be the 48 edge. what a great plane to learn on. Just my thoughts though. In fact if I ever crash mine beyond repair I will purchase another one for the hanger.
I was originally going to purchase the Edge. I may do so in the future. Before getting some feedback, I thought this was a next step from an Extra. But after finding out that it's more of a beginner 3D plane - I was referred to the 51" Slick which I really didn't know much about... I have 3 other 3D planes (balsa) so everyone seemed to point in the 51" Slicks direction.

I took their advice and placed my order this weekend and hope to begin the build next weekend.

I suspect it will be similar to my heli experience - going from flybar to flybarless. I was just starting to 3D my helis and the FBL was so fast and agile I hated it because I felt like I couldn't control it. I tried to dial it down. Weeks later something clicked and flips, rolls, etc. are much faster and easier than on the FB.

I'm kind of hoping this is my experience with the 51".
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:25 AM
Joined Jun 2008
1,157 Posts
This ESC was recommended by some to pair with the Motrolfly motor:
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...FQWonQodwikA3w

Should I get the version with the heatsink?

I purchased the Hitec 5085 servos. I was going to just use the 5A BEC from the ESC and not install a separate one.

Is everyone using full range RX's. I fly Spektrum and have an extra AR6100, but I'm tempted to get an AR7000 or other full range.

This is the correct Xoar prop. i believe:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAPTT

Is there a need to modify the spinner to get this to fit?

I emailed subsonic planes and Ken responded with following (for those who may not already know):

"The total motor weight with all hardware is 7.5 ounces.
The light version with fiberglass mount is 6.7 ounces with all hardware."

"The light version removes the back plate of the motor and the x mount bolts directly to the bearing tube.
The fiberglass mount however is the same diameter as the outside of the motor so you have to run the mounting screws through the firewall backwards and put a nut on the front side of the X mount so reverse of what is normally done. Or you can put the screws through the x mount and then mount the X mount to the motor and use a ball end allen to tighten the screws."

"The light version has the same warranty as the basic version of the motor.
This motor was designed with 3D in mind.
The only motors not suitable for 3D are labeled as such."
Last edited by richord; Feb 10, 2013 at 09:34 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:38 AM
USA, MI, Portage
Joined Feb 2009
597 Posts
Richord that is the correct prop, http://www.neumotors.com/store/page3/page3.html scroll down on this page and you will find the Ice 75 or Ice 100 for a much cheaper price.
chq28 is offline Find More Posts by chq28