HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 07, 2013, 11:44 AM
Santi
DaaBears's Avatar
United States, MO, Clayton
Joined Nov 2003
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richord View Post
Ok, I have flown the 42" variant and 70" variant of the 3DHS Slick in RealFlight 4.5.

They fly different, but similar to described in this thread - how the 51 is violent and the 70" is more tame. If you have flown both, are they as different in real life as these 2 are in the sim.

The 42" variant seems to fly as described... Can anyone confirm that it's a close or fair representation of real life flight characteristics?
Imo the 42 and 70 are similar other than size of course. You need to be on top of the sticks more with the 42. The 51 is much more violent than the other two.
DaaBears is offline Find More Posts by DaaBears
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:00 PM
Registered User
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Jun 2008
1,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCDme3D View Post
Imo the 42 and 70 are similar other than size of course. You need to be on top of the sticks more with the 42. The 51 is much more violent than the other two.
Thanks.

Do you need to be on top of the sticks with the 51, similar to the 42 or would it be closer to the 70?
richord is offline Find More Posts by richord
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:01 PM
Gone Huckin'
turnerm's Avatar
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCDme3D View Post
Imo the 42 and 70 are similar other than size of course. You need to be on top of the sticks more with the 42. The 51 is much more violent than the other two.
I agree. But the 71 (or 70) also feels more stable and predictable than the 42 (hence your comment about needing to be on top of the sticks).

The 51" is definitely the most violent of the bunch.
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:24 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richord View Post
I know I'm overkilling with my 60C heli packs, but they do come down cool and never bog no matter what I do in the air. I would imagine that your lighter pack, which are more powerful are more expensive?

My Katana MD performs much better with 1550mah 25C packs vs 2000mah 30C packs simply because of the power to weight ratio. Surprisingly, my run times are roughly the same, but I can fly more aggressive with it using the 1550's.
No, Thunder Power packs are not inexpensive, but not only are they lighter and give more punch (IMO), but they also have a great 2 year warranty...and...even a crash warranty...I.E., if you crash a plane and destroy the battery, you can send them a photo of the battery, and they will sell you another identical battery for 1/2 price....

SteveT.
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:14 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,665 Posts
Ok...I got my first test batch of battery boxes/trays from the laser cutter, they go together very nicely, and will fit in the plane very well. I did make a small "goof" on the cad drawing, which resulted in two of the pieces not over-lapping like they should. (I have ordered new end pieces to correct the flaw) These are very light at 24.5 grams, and make securing your batteries much easier for those whose batteries are way up under the cowl, as you only need one strap.

I have just ordered new end pieces for them, and will sell the complete units as they should be, for $22.00 each shipped via USPS mail in the conus.

SteveT.
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SteveT.; Sep 24, 2013 at 02:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:06 PM
3d NOOBular
3DNater's Avatar
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,138 Posts
Steve are you getting those cut out of birch ply?
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:24 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
Steve are you getting those cut out of birch ply?
Yes, which is why there are some scorch marks. I could have them cut from Liteply, which would alleviate it, however, I would then have to increase the thickness to gain the strength that the 1/16" Birch plywood gives me.

SteveT.
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:17 PM
3d NOOBular
3DNater's Avatar
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,138 Posts
I don't think the scorch marks are that bad. I'd say they come out looking pretty nice considering how hard it is for a laser to go through that stuff
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:26 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
I don't think the scorch marks are that bad. I'd say they come out looking pretty nice considering how hard it is for a laser to go through that stuff
Yeah, the company I use has a very good 75 watt laser ($23,500 worth)....

SteveT.
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:58 PM
AJ Addict
Toledo Ohio
Joined Jun 2008
242 Posts
Steve T , are the battery trays for the 51 slick?
ronmad02 is offline Find More Posts by ronmad02
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:18 PM
Registered User
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Jun 2008
1,159 Posts
Man, so many size options...

I didn't realize that there is a 59" version as well.

I was about the pull the trigger on the 51" and the 59" isn't too much more.

I have heard a lot of good things about the 51". But I have to ask... I know some of you have the 51, 59 and/or 71.

I know many of you say the 51 is the most violant, which I'm taking as a positive. How about stability, capability, yet still violant - 51 vs. 59.
richord is offline Find More Posts by richord
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:27 PM
inverted-i-fly
3drcparts's Avatar
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,446 Posts
59" is not available, may never be again (IMO) get the 51" it is a must have
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:29 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted-I-Fly View Post
59" is not available, may never be again (IMO) get the 51" it is a must have
Is that because 3DHS went out of business last week??

SteveT.
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:33 PM
inverted-i-fly
3drcparts's Avatar
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Is that because 3DHS went out of business last week??

SteveT.
must be
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:40 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
losifanatic's Avatar
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,466 Posts
I have bought the 51, 59, & 71. Sold the 59. The 51 and 71s are a must have. The 59 was just to different. It didn't fit my flying style like the other two did.
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Need New 3d Plane from Previes gear. NoMercy 3D Flying 2 Jun 06, 2006 05:07 AM
New 3D planes from GWS? assib GWS (Grand Wing Servo) 4 Feb 24, 2005 01:34 AM
Sneak Peak At NEW 3D Plane from Dick Rankin thechosen1one Foamies (Kits) 5 Oct 11, 2004 02:27 PM
New 3D Planes from Fliton LTChip Parkflyers 1 Jun 19, 2003 03:17 PM
New "3D Aircraft" Discussion Group Proposal Tim H. Foamies (Kits) 1 May 02, 2003 10:57 PM