HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:49 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattLarson29 View Post
Would the Motrolfly 3615 and 4s 2200s be a viable combination? I've got a few 4s 2200s, but I am not averse to ordering more batts if needed.
The 3615-750 is THE Motrofly motor best suited for this plane. I think you'll probably find those 2200's a bit light so you'll have them all the way up in the motorbox but other than that should be fine.

I'd go with 2500's or bigger.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:27 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,637 Posts
I fly with the 3615-750 on 4s 2200-2650 all fly fine and batteries stay mid range for neutral CG. I like the 2200's when it is not windy.
Wingbreaker is offline Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:44 PM
1000MIGLIA City - Italy
Joined Mar 2012
252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjschauer View Post
I am going to try vortex generators on this bird. Anyone tried this?
Interesting!
Get pictures plese.
rosnik is offline Find More Posts by rosnik
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:49 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattLarson29 View Post
Would the Motrolfly 3615 and 4s 2200s be a viable combination? I've got a few 4s 2200s, but I am not averse to ordering more batts if needed.
that is what I have in the video above, as Mike mentioned, batteries need to go all the way under the cowl, but I like the light set-up. I use velcro on the tray and battery and I use a bungee cord with a slip lock instead of a strap and it has been working fine
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:34 PM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Jun 2008
1,157 Posts
Hey all, I am new to this thread...

I have been wanting to try a 3DHS plane and recently was going to purchase the 48" Edge because I wanted my next plane to have an airfoiled tail section.

So far I have flown the EF 45" Extra, Reactor Bipe EP and PA Katana MD.

I'm flying 3D at an intermediate level and was thinking of going a little larger to handle the wind better. I do like the wing area of the Katana, especially on less windy days.

I was referred from the Edge 540 thread to this one. I've heard nothing but great things about the 3DHS 51" Slick. I have to say that looking at the spec.'s I had my doubts because it's a lot heavier than my Katana MD with roughly the same wing area.

Has anyone flown any of the other planes that I have listed above to compare?

I also downloaded the 42" 3DHS Slick model for Realflight G4.5. If any have this sim with that model, could you tell me if it flies at all like the real life model? I didn't see a 51" for the version I have.
richord is offline Find More Posts by richord
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:37 PM
United States, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2011
182 Posts
Hey I got a question, Just read something I did not know, When setting up your dual ailerons do you set the down to be around 5 % less than the up to prevent less drag causing adverse yaw. I have always set the same amount of travel for left and right / and up & down.
stormz is offline Find More Posts by stormz
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:40 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormz View Post
Hey I got a question, Just read something I did not know, When setting up your dual ailerons do you set the down to be around 5 % less than the up to prevent less drag causing adverse yaw. I have always set the same amount of travel for left and right / and up & down.
That is called aileron differential, and is not needed with any 3DHS plane....

SteveT.
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:45 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
That is called aileron differential, and is not needed with any 3DHS plane....

SteveT.
In fact it will make it fly differently when it's inverted because the differential will be opposite of what's needed (or not needed in the Slick's case).
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:55 PM
Joined Feb 2011
182 Posts
so thats why I still fly so good "learning something new everyday"
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:12 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richord View Post
Hey all, I am new to this thread...

I have been wanting to try a 3DHS plane and recently was going to purchase the 48" Edge because I wanted my next plane to have an airfoiled tail section.

So far I have flown the EF 45" Extra, Reactor Bipe EP and PA Katana MD.

I'm flying 3D at an intermediate level and was thinking of going a little larger to handle the wind better. I do like the wing area of the Katana, especially on less windy days.

I was referred from the Edge 540 thread to this one. I've heard nothing but great things about the 3DHS 51" Slick. I have to say that looking at the spec.'s I had my doubts because it's a lot heavier than my Katana MD with roughly the same wing area.

Has anyone flown any of the other planes that I have listed above to compare?

I also downloaded the 42" 3DHS Slick model for Realflight G4.5. If any have this sim with that model, could you tell me if it flies at all like the real life model? I didn't see a 51" for the version I have.
Having flown all 3 planes you have the 51 slick flys better than them all. Wing loading isn't everything for 3d. Design has more to do with it. Here is a video of my maiden flight and its severely overweight to prove wing loading isn't the most important thing. I also forgot to put expo in my radio when l maidened. It.

Sorry l was going to post my video but for some reason my YouTube app isn't working. Will see if l can't find it.
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:14 PM
Joined Feb 2011
182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted-I-Fly View Post
that is what I have in the video above, as Mike mentioned, batteries need to go all the way under the cowl, but I like the light set-up. I use velcro on the tray and battery and I use a bungee cord with a slip lock instead of a strap and it has been working fine
Same here on the bungee cord, but I use e-flite 2500 4\s @ 256 grams.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:16 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Joined Oct 2007
16,412 Posts
Maiden of the over weight 51" slick (5 min 6 sec)

Found it
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:23 PM
Joined Feb 2011
182 Posts
That vid says it all about the 51" slick. But give some credit to the man on the sticks
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:49 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
I think you need to hit those blenders a little harder next time!!

I'm usually amazed that my Slick stays in one piece after doing tumbles and blenders like you did in that video! Tough plane!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:55 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Joined Oct 2007
16,412 Posts
I really need to do a bashing the 51 slick video. After having it over a year now l dont mind beating it relentlessly. I have changed my setup some since the maiden too. It's now much more fun