HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:19 PM
United States, MI, Allegan
Joined Aug 2012
615 Posts
I'm using 82mgs and a dynam 60a esc. No binding. I'm going to either put a bec in or swap to an ice 50. These dynams stutter a lot on startup too.
TimmyC is offline Find More Posts by TimmyC
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:34 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyC View Post
I'm using 82mgs and a dynam 60a esc. No binding. I'm going to either put a bec in or swap to an ice 50. These dynams stutter a lot on startup too.
Well if I was a betting man I would put it on a brownout... That ESC has a 3amp BEC which is at 3s, so at 4s that rating is even lower. The ice has a 5amp BEC which is also lowered by higher main voltage. I don't use the internal on anything above 4 micros (65mg or equivalent). Used the internal on a 500 pro which worked great all summer long and when temp got below 35F I had a brownout. Installed a CC 10 amp BEC found here which eliminated issues and can be found for around $20. Good luck.
bryansifsof44 is online now Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:41 PM
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
10,472 Posts
The Dynam ESC is just a re-labelled Hobbywing Pentium. Turnigy Plush are also just re-labels of the Hobbywing. They are all decent enough ESC's for the price.

It has a switch mode BEC, which is a good thing, but it's only rated at 3 amps which is a bit marginal for a plane of this size. I'd go with an external BEC, the castle Creations 10A peak BEC is hard to beat.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:17 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
24,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Repeat after me...

My name is "jetinteriorguy" and I have a problem..."

I currently have a 71" Slick, 58" Edge, 57" SC, 48" Super Vyper, UMX 3D Sbach, UMX 3D Beast, QQ Edge, and a Crack Yak and I already get RC ADD every time I'm heading out to fly.
That should be....

"My name is _________ (insert name), and I have a problem....

I own ___________________________ (insert names of planes)....

But then....What's the problem????

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:57 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
That should be....

"My name is _________ (insert name), and I have a problem....

I own ___________________________ (insert names of planes)....

But then....What's the problem????

SteveT
Steve... I think if anyone needs an intervention it would be you my friend!!

But I have to say - I'm jealous as hell of your hangar. Too bad your WAY over there on the West coast.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:25 PM
Hey... watch this...
Herndon, Virginia, United States
Joined Feb 2003
782 Posts
OK guys I did a search and see some posts about 65 degree's of throw on the elevator, I am getting 55 using a HS85MG and feel it is not enough for waterfalls and knife edge spins.

My EF 48 Edge has at least 65 degree's and spins like crazy but my slick is hitting the bevel at 55.

Are some of you spacing the elevator back a bit on the hinges to get 65 or have you done something else?

Mine is nice and tight to prevent flutter and I would either have to re-hinge it or remove the covering to increase the bevel then recover to get more.

Advice?
Mmarshall is offline Find More Posts by Mmarshall
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:27 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
24,907 Posts
Quote:
Steve... I think if anyone needs an intervention it would be you my friend!!

But I have to say - I'm jealous as hell of your hangar. Too bad your WAY over there on the West coast.
Yup....and you would be welcome to a pull on any of them....

I'm just waiting on Bigfoot....and then that will probably be it for a while......but I am possibly selling the Yak 54....

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SteveT.; Jan 14, 2013 at 03:22 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:43 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmarshall View Post
OK guys I did a search and see some posts about 65 degree's of throw on the elevator, I am getting 55 using a HS85MG and feel it is not enough for waterfalls and knife edge spins.

My EF 48 Edge has at least 65 degree's and spins like crazy but my slick is hitting the bevel at 55.

Are some of you spacing the elevator back a bit on the hinges to get 65 or have you done something else?

Mine is nice and tight to prevent flutter and I would either have to re-hinge it or remove the covering to increase the bevel then recover to get more.

Advice?
Yea... I set mine up to have a rather healthy hinge gap so I can get max throw. Although I didn't measure it, my buddy has to have nearly 70-80 degrees!!
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:56 PM
United States, MI, Allegan
Joined Aug 2012
615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
The Dynam ESC is just a re-labelled Hobbywing Pentium. Turnigy Plush are also just re-labels of the Hobbywing. They are all decent enough ESC's for the price.

It has a switch mode BEC, which is a good thing, but it's only rated at 3 amps which is a bit marginal for a plane of this size. I'd go with an external BEC, the castle Creations 10A peak BEC is hard to beat.
Good to know that the esc is decent. I agree on the brownout. I will put a bec in the next one. I'm not sure if I can fix this one or not. I might try anyway.
TimmyC is offline Find More Posts by TimmyC
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:59 PM
United States, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2011
182 Posts
Quote:
Yea... I set mine up to have a rather healthy hinge gap so I can get max throw. Although I didn't measure it, my buddy has to have nearly 70-80 degrees!!
just completed my build on the 51, I set my gap to get about 50 to 55 is that not enough to get a tight ke spin on this plane
stormz is offline Find More Posts by stormz
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:29 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,394 Posts
Yes its more than enough. I can get a tight ke spin with 45* and tight waterfalls too. I have a neutral cg. I do how ever have 64* out of mine to get crazy with every now and then. I normally fly on mid rate (50* elevator and 35* ailerions)unless l am doing something extremely violent.
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:45 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
Yes its more than enough. I can get a tight ke spin with 45* and tight waterfalls too. I have a neutral cg. I do how ever have 64* out of mine to get crazy with every now and then. I normally fly on mid rate (50* elevator and 35* ailerions)unless l am doing something extremely violent.
We need to see an extremely violent Losi video!!
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:54 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Joined Oct 2007
16,394 Posts
Agreed will see what l can do.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:04 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
Agreed will see what l can do.
Don't forget to duck.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:09 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Joined Oct 2007
16,394 Posts
LOL Yeah that wasn't one of my better moments don't think it was one of safetyhawks either