SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:05 AM
United States, CA, Hughson
Joined Jan 2012
1,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
It's bad enough when it's a 51" Slick.....even worse when it's an 89" Slick!!

SteveT
OUCH~ What was the cause of this Steve. Seeing that Scares me to death! When this happens does the Manafacture pay for the repairs of your planes???
hertzrepkeith is offline Find More Posts by hertzrepkeith
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:15 AM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,675 Posts
Hi Keith.....

Well...in this case it was how Castle manufactures the HV-120 ESCs, and what they forgot to put in them. Almost all of Castles ESCs have a power board and a control board. The control board plug into a socket on the power board. If for some reason, the control board were to come off, there would be an instant power "run-away", and in this case about 400 amps worth. What Castle forgot to do, was to put a small piece of pinkish colored high temp foam that went between the case and the control board that kept the control board plugged into the power board. In my case, my ESC worked fine for 5.5 flights....on the sixth flight, I was doing a K.E. Spin, when the control board unplugged, and burnt up, taking out a 120-240 amp Emcotech safety switch, which is what actually did all the damage.

And...no, no manufacturer is going to pay for something like that. They did however replace the ESC after they figured out what was causing the problem (for a multitude of people, not just me).

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:52 AM
United States, GA, Pooler
Joined Nov 2008
324 Posts
Wow, those burns look rough...
Pretty random events or should I be worried about my ICE 75 and Hacker?
pilot_keeter is offline Find More Posts by pilot_keeter
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:12 AM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,700 Posts
Still curious of the brand... if it was a castle esc there would have been some castle bashing.
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:43 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansifsof44 View Post
Still curious of the brand... if it was a castle esc there would have been some castle bashing.
If you mean the one Gravitycheat posted the picture of, it looks long and skinny, like a ZTW/Hacker.

If you know a little about what these circuits look like and how little protection circuitry there is in them, it is amazing that more don't burn up from "shoot-through"
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:59 AM
Don't give in to gravity
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Dec 2009
1,966 Posts
Quote:
I don’t want to post the brand of the ESC because as someone else posted, there would be “bashing”. I think this was an isolated problem and not a wide spread, common issue with this manufacture’s ESC. Bashing would serve no purpose. The manufacture is replacing it for me and luckily the damage to the plane is mostly cosmetic.
Gravitycheat is offline Find More Posts by Gravitycheat
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:46 AM
Destructive Tester
Tampa, FL
Joined Apr 2008
1,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
It's bad enough when it's a 51" Slick.....even worse when it's an 89" Slick!!

SteveT

Wow, nice repair job !!!!!
jimmy34256 is online now Find More Posts by jimmy34256
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:32 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,466 Posts
My castle comment was me just being funny. All my escs are castle right now. Granted l have had more than my fair share of issues with them dieing on me but there cs is good and once l got an esc that worked it worked wonderfully. I have had escs from every manufacture l have bought one from die on me while using it within its specs. It's part if the game l guess. Though l do believe l missed my calling as a product tester for quality control.
losifanatic is online now Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:56 AM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,029 Posts
Castle Cremations
Park_aviator is offline Find More Posts by Park_aviator
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:40 PM
USA, NJ, West Paterson
Joined Feb 2008
1,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park_aviator View Post
Castle Cremations
Lmao that was a good one

Luckily all my cc esc's haven't had a problem
jamesrini is offline Find More Posts by jamesrini
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:02 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,700 Posts
I've flew thousands of flights with castle products and only one ESC burnt which was replaced by castle and goes strong today. Thankfully it did't cause a fire and I was using a external BEC.
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:30 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot_keeter View Post
Wow, those burns look rough...
Pretty random events or should I be worried about my ICE 75 and Hacker?
No, not a random event, there was a problem with those ESCs as Castle forgot to install a component. That said, it was not an ICE75...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitycheat View Post
I don’t want to post the brand of the ESC because as someone else posted, there would be “bashing”. I think this was an isolated problem and not a wide spread, common issue with this manufacture’s ESC. Bashing would serve no purpose. The manufacture is replacing it for me and luckily the damage to the plane is mostly cosmetic.
From the looks of it, it doesn't look like a Castle, could you verify this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy34256 View Post
Wow, nice repair job !!!!!
Thank you kind Sir....

Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
My castle comment was me just being funny. All my escs are castle right now. Granted l have had more than my fair share of issues with them dieing on me but there cs is good and once l got an esc that worked it worked wonderfully. I have had escs from every manufacture l have bought one from die on me while using it within its specs. It's part if the game l guess. Though l do believe l missed my calling as a product tester for quality control.
Any electronic component can fail, some more than others. At least Castle will normally replace a failed ESC, and if there is a problem with a particular line of the ESCs, they will find the problem.

And, yes, you probably did Matt!!

Quote:
I've flew thousands of flights with castle products and only one ESC burnt which was replaced by castle and goes strong today. Thankfully it did't cause a fire and I was using a external BEC.
I wasn't using a BEC, but was using two separate 2S packs for the radio in the 89" Slick...

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:24 PM
Don't give in to gravity
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Dec 2009
1,966 Posts
It was not a castle.
Gravitycheat is offline Find More Posts by Gravitycheat
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:51 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Jan 2012
1,762 Posts
Sorry to see that Steve! Especially on such a nice plane like the 89!

Touch wood (or knock on wood for people in the US ), I haven't had a problem with Castle. With that being said, I'm very tempted to try Kontronik Whilst they cost double or even triple of the equivalent Castle, they look really well made and people over at HeliFreak really like them As for BECs, I'm really liking Western Robotics. Got a Mini Hercules G2 on my Slick 59; works very well and the build quality is great! Unfortunately - like with Kontronik - they're about three times the price of the equivalent Castle. However, HeliFreak say they're very good (on a BEC recommendation thread, basically everyone said Western Robotics is the best ).

I'm gonna order a Kontronik and test it on my 42 Slick The thing I must have is good sharp throttle response, something Castle's are known to be great for. I will also get the ProgDisc to program it in If it is as sharp as a Castle, I'll move all my stuff over to Kontronik!
RCPilot1234 is offline Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Best of Blackout
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:21 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Finally ordered some 5085's to upgrade from my 85MG's. I'll be curious to see if I can notice a difference with them.
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm