HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:11 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
And try not to break your finger when starting it!
You can always use a chicken stick.

I would be willing to bet there are many fingers hit when someone accidentitally hits the throttle while on the ground. My new radio allows for a throttle cut on a switch. I'm programming them in all my planes. Especially 2500watt electric planes with 19" props.

I wonder if everyone has taken this precaution.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:33 PM
"Get off the runway!"
United States, TX, Hutto
Joined May 2012
558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj View Post

I would be willing to bet there are many fingers hit when someone accidentitally hits the throttle while on the ground. My new radio allows for a throttle cut on a switch. I'm programming them in all my planes. Especially 2500watt electric planes with 19" props.

I wonder if everyone has taken this precaution.
Anything above 55 inches in my fleet gets an "Arm-safe" plug. It goes in at the flight line, and comes out just as I finish taxiing to the flight line.
Da Big_G is offline Find More Posts by Da Big_G
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:40 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,059 Posts
Quote:

Back in the '80's when I was flying glo, chicken sticks weren't "macho" and of course we were all worried about being "macho" back then. They were... well... for "chicke sh_ts". Broke a few 11x7's on my finger (flew a .60), but never my finger. Dumb luck...
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:46 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,025 Posts
Quote:
Well at least the planes are getting to the field. To hot, to cold, to windy, to, to, to. Some dudes at our field to get out there, then they stand over their chargers the whole time. first to charge, the to discharge.

I am just being a little facetious.
Rob....You have no idea how often I fly, granted it is not as often as I would like but that's life and sometimes it's just beyond my control...But then, (and yes, I know my memory is failing) I don't remember having put you in charge of counting how often I go fly.

My comment about the gas engines, was a I said a facetious one, but was also not directed at any one person or engine, just joking about many gas engines in general, as it is something I see at my club field quite often...

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SteveT.; Dec 28, 2012 at 07:16 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:36 PM
Joined Nov 2008
8,221 Posts
Quote:
Back in the '80's when I was flying glo, chicken sticks weren't "macho" and of course we were all worried about being "macho" back then. They were... well... for "chicke sh_ts". Broke a few 11x7's on my finger (flew a .60), but never my finger. Dumb luck...
I haven't been around this hobby that long but i would say about 99% of the glow guys i see use the starters. Even seen some use on the 20-30 size gas. Takes the fun out! But seen a few use a stick or a glove with the plate on the back of the hand. Starting my recent and only gas dle-55 the first many times scared me a bit. Not a real issue now but I triple check that is is held down.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:32 PM
United States, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2011
182 Posts
Quote:
I haven't been around this hobby that long but i would say about 99% of the glow guys i see use the starters. Even seen some use on the 20-30 size gas. Takes the fun out! But seen a few use a stick or a glove with the plate on the back of the hand. Starting my recent and only gas dle-55 the first many times scared me a bit. Not a real issue now but I triple check that is is held down.
Same here with my 30cc/ not a issue anymore my hand is coming towards me after the flip anyway
stormz is offline Find More Posts by stormz
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:42 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,468 Posts
We only have one guy at our field that doesn't fly often. Though when he does fly he has a blast. He is like he is on top of the world.
I have throttle cut switch on all my planes programmed in. I have accidently hit my throttle a time or two. I have been lucky with no damage or injury.
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:48 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
United States, OH, Bristolville
Joined Oct 2010
4,713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Big_G View Post
Anything above 55 inches in my fleet gets an "Arm-safe" plug. It goes in at the flight line, and comes out just as I finish taxiing to the flight line.
I do not ever use any form of arm safe plug, I do not plug my battery in until I am at the flight line and then I keep my hands away from the prop. been doing this for going on 7 years and not one incident yet, though I could get bitten by the prop some day.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:51 PM
Joined Dec 2010
8,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Daddict View Post
I do not ever use any form of arm safe plug, I do not plug my battery in until I am at the flight line and then I keep my hands away from the prop. been doing this for going on 7 years and not one incident yet, though I could get bitten by the prop some day.
Yes... no additional resistance wanted. Just treat it with all the care, discipline and respect you would a loaded gun when it's loaded with the battery.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:17 PM
"Get off the runway!"
United States, TX, Hutto
Joined May 2012
558 Posts
Quote:
Yes... no additional resistance wanted. Just treat it with all the care, discipline and respect you would a loaded gun when it's loaded with the battery.
I don't think it adds any appreciable resistance. It is cool after a max of 90 amps for 5 minutes in my pattern plane.
Da Big_G is offline Find More Posts by Da Big_G
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:34 PM
Joined Nov 2008
8,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Daddict View Post
I admit I got nicked once a couple years ago. But I doubt if most happen on the flight line. This one was on the workbench in the garage.

On the 55 I've had it want to pop while positioning it for a start. If I have to do that now I'll cut the power(gear switch) and hold it tightly.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:38 PM
Joined Nov 2008
8,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormz View Post
Same here with my 30cc/ not a issue anymore my hand is coming towards me after the flip anyway
+1, a little harder on the fingers sweeping away, but effective in keeping them out of harms way. Mine only takes about 6 throws.

Steve T. me to!!
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:39 PM
Joined Dec 2010
8,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Big_G View Post
I don't think it adds any appreciable resistance. It is cool after a max of 90 amps for 5 minutes in my pattern plane.
That's a good thing, then. I'll look into it. A "safety" is always a good thing...
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:46 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,733 Posts
I use a throttle cut switch... Also on the same switch is my idle up (motor is at a very low idle) and timer. Never forget to start timer or disarm because I need to switch it on to go and off to get motor to stop. Makes for a cleaner throttle response too.
bryansifsof44 is online now Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:01 PM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,557 Posts
I saw a guy at our field carefully start his plane with a starter and all the proper precautions on the starting bench. He taxied out and it died on the runway. And then he got impatient, hand flipped it right there on the runway with no protection, and got his fingers cut. Safety equipment only works when you use it

I fly electric, so no starting worries. But I do keep a rubber band holding the left stick down when I'm not flying. I've thought about a throttle cut switch, but I worry that I'd accidentally hit it during a flight and not fumble it back fast enough to avert disaster. So far dealing with what I want the plane to do, what it actually is doing, two sticks and a dual rate switch uses up all of my available brain power - nothing left over for another switch Maybe more practice will change that.
AeroKen is online now Find More Posts by AeroKen