Old Dec 25, 2012, 09:51 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormz View Post
to Bad you are in Ca, just put my 74 edge up for sale
Gas or electric? PM me some details.. I may be interested.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 25, 2012, 10:07 PM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Gas or electric? PM me some details.. I may be interested.
Here's the thread...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1795153
Park_aviator is offline Find More Posts by Park_aviator
Old Dec 25, 2012, 10:24 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park_aviator View Post
Sweet deal but I don't know jack about gas planes.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Dec 25, 2012, 10:45 PM
TEAM TWISTED
United States, MD, Middle River
Joined Dec 2011
1,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertzrepkeith View Post
That is exactly what I am running right now. I was just curious. Today I was harrier in and hit my Dads Steel Mail Box. Lets just say that the mail Box WON Pretty much destroyed the back half of my Plane. Snapped Elevator Spar and did a number on the whole tail end of my plane. Was not a good Christmas party. I was getting ready to buy a 74 Edge and now I have to decide if I want to just get another 51 or try to fix the 51 and still buy the Edge
If you have good pics of the damage, you may want to talk to RCMC about Slick repairs. He knows a great deal and will offer you a good idea on what it takes to get your 51 repaired. We just went through getting a new 51 after the simply stellar one in FB scheme we lost this summer. Running Hacker A30-12XL on 14x7 on 4S 4200 mah batts FWIW... Lesson learned on the "Y" harnasses being just a convenient extra point of failure. Don't do it. Anyway... RCMC is the Slick fixing man with all the info...
ROLLING CIRCLE is offline Find More Posts by ROLLING CIRCLE
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The MXS-C MINI - IT'S BIG
Old Dec 25, 2012, 10:59 PM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,029 Posts
Quote:
Haha, same here man
Old Dec 25, 2012, 11:09 PM
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park_aviator View Post
Haha, same here man
Im just getting over the learning curve...
Alex Schauer is offline Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
Old Dec 25, 2012, 11:19 PM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjschauer View Post
Im just getting over the learning curve...
Nice! I'll go gas when I go 50cc... Someday...
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:59 AM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,030 Posts
Quote:
Put gas in....flip prop till engine starts, taxi out, restart engine after it dies waiting to take off, fly until gas is low or engine dies, land, taxi n (if engine is still running)....repeat as needed....what else do you need to know?

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:00 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Put gas in....flip prop till engine starts, taxi out, restart engine after it dies waiting to take off, fly until gas is low or engine dies, land, taxi n (if engine is still running)....repeat as needed....what else do you need to know?

SteveT
And try not to break your finger when starting it!
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:15 AM
United States, CA, Hughson
Joined Jan 2012
1,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLING CIRCLE View Post
If you have good pics of the damage, you may want to talk to RCMC about Slick repairs. He knows a great deal and will offer you a good idea on what it takes to get your 51 repaired. We just went through getting a new 51 after the simply stellar one in FB scheme we lost this summer. Running Hacker A30-12XL on 14x7 on 4S 4200 mah batts FWIW... Lesson learned on the "Y" harnasses being just a convenient extra point of failure. Don't do it. Anyway... RCMC is the Slick fixing man with all the info...
Thank you for the Advice! I have been slowly getting it patched back together. Its new name will popsickle Stick. When I get done it will fly good. It might not look pretty because I suck at laying th ultra Coate but it will work good enough to get it back up and huckin! and I can then buy my 74 Electric Set up.It will actually seems stronger the it was in the start on the tail end. (Alittle heavier but it won't stop me from doing some huckin!
hertzrepkeith is offline Find More Posts by hertzrepkeith
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:30 AM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
And try not to break your finger when starting it!
True...or crack prop at the same time that you break your finger...

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Dec 26, 2012, 04:31 AM
Surrey, B.C.
Joined Feb 2004
414 Posts
Went to hang my Slick on a new rack I built for it in my workshop only to find the left aileron horn barely hanging on. I guess that explains why it felt kinda strange the last flight I had on her.
I believe I did it putting wings in the same bag with my 47" extra wing to make it easier to carry from my car to the field.
Anyway it doesn't look like a hard fix but since I had to cut the covering see it how bad the damage was. Question is now I'm going to patch it with some HK white covering I got to try but was wondering if anyone know what temps I should use on this stuff?
Mach3 is offline Find More Posts by Mach3
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:21 AM
United States, CA, Hughson
Joined Jan 2012
1,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormz View Post
to Bad you are in Ca, just put my 74 edge up for sale
I KNOW!!!!! I Saw it. That is a great deal that I would buy if you were in here!
hertzrepkeith is offline Find More Posts by hertzrepkeith
Old Dec 26, 2012, 06:33 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjschauer View Post
Be careful,
There is one plastic gear in the midst of those metal gears, one of the metal gears rubs on the pot pretty badly and there is no wire relief

I sent mine back
Just a follow up on this warning I got about the Solar D658 servos I used in my Slick.

I've been using them since august and they have been fine. They are pretty fast have plenty of torque and centre well. I did open one up to check out the reported issues. Here's what I found:
  • Plastic gear - yes, there is one plastic gear which is the small gear that is driven directly from the motor pinion. I don't see this being great weakness as the torque at that point in the reduction gearing is very low. FWIW the much trusted and recommended Hitec HS-85MG has a plastic gear in exactly the same position!
  • Gear rubbing on the pot - I found no evidence of this.
  • Wire relief - Yep the wire comes straight from it's solder points on the PCB and exits the case. I'm not sure if this will ever prove to be a problem as the wire is gripped by the bottom case cover and the solder points on the PCB are very robust. Only if you were really hauling on the wire constantly could I imagine it causing a problem.

4 months of use probably isn't enough to draw any positive conclusions but so far so good....
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:44 AM
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Just a follow up on this warning I got about the Solar D658 servos I used in my Slick.

I've been using them since august and they have been fine. They are pretty fast have plenty of torque and centre well. I did open one up to check out the reported issues. Here's what I found:
  • Plastic gear - yes, there is one plastic gear which is the small gear that is driven directly from the motor pinion. I don't see this being great weakness as the torque at that point in the reduction gearing is very low. FWIW the much trusted and recommended Hitec HS-85MG has a plastic gear in exactly the same position!
  • Gear rubbing on the pot - I found no evidence of this.
  • Wire relief - Yep the wire comes straight from it's solder points on the PCB and exits the case. I'm not sure if this will ever prove to be a problem as the wire is gripped by the bottom case cover and the solder points on the PCB are very robust. Only if you were really hauling on the wire constantly could I imagine it causing a problem.

4 months of use probably isn't enough to draw any positive conclusions but so far so good....
Hmm that's interesting!!!
The ones I got we're TERRIBLE!!!
Alex Schauer is offline Find More Posts by Alex Schauer