HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:10 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
Steve the only downside of Birch ply is that it cannot be laser cut without major charring... unless there is something we don't know (highly possible). Our laser won't do it. the birchwood is just too reflective.
Would sanding it first to remove the glaze on the wood help?

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:45 PM
3d NOOBular
3DNater's Avatar
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Would sanding it first to remove the glaze on the wood help?

SteveT
No, it chars all the way through. The wood itself is really reflective compared to balsa or lite ply. It could be partly the glue they use as well. Not sure, but I'd really like to get my hands on a stack of the china ply.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:57 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
No, it chars all the way through. The wood itself is really reflective compared to balsa or lite ply. It could be partly the glue they use as well. Not sure, but I'd really like to get my hands on a stack of the china ply.
Would sure make things easier...wouldn't it...

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:13 PM
Registered User
edf_rookie's Avatar
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Mar 2011
329 Posts
SteveT,

Thanks for your earlier post about the plywood- exactly what I was after, I couldn't remember what type of plywood I should be getting for some repairs. I just need to get back into the garage and find out what thickness is used in these planes, I think it is 2mm but need to check.

You would think it would be easier to find some plywood here in Australia but most LHS's here tend to cater for the toy type of stuff. I did find a timber place that sells aircraft plywood but comes in 4'x4' pieces by 3 sheets. I hope I never need that much in my lifetime It may actually be quicker and easier to get some from the US. I have one or two LHS's to check out but pretty sure they don't stock any plywood and if they do it is most likely the soft craft plywood.

Thanks again
edf_rookie is offline Find More Posts by edf_rookie
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:15 PM
Registered User
edf_rookie's Avatar
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Mar 2011
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
No, it chars all the way through. The wood itself is really reflective compared to balsa or lite ply. It could be partly the glue they use as well. Not sure, but I'd really like to get my hands on a stack of the china ply.
Agree, it would be great to get our hands on some of that stuff would make things a lot easier that's for sure
edf_rookie is offline Find More Posts by edf_rookie
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:16 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edf_rookie View Post
SteveT,

Thanks for your earlier post about the plywood- exactly what I was after, I couldn't remember what type of plywood I should be getting for some repairs. I just need to get back into the garage and find out what thickness is used in these planes, I think it is 2mm but need to check.

You would think it would be easier to find some plywood here in Australia but most LHS's here tend to cater for the toy type of stuff. I did find a timber place that sells aircraft plywood but comes in 4'x4' pieces by 3 sheets. I hope I never need that much in my lifetime It may actually be quicker and easier to get some from the US. I have one or two LHS's to check out but pretty sure they don't stock any plywood and if they do it is most likely the soft craft plywood.

Thanks again
No problem my friend....that's what we're all here for....either to get help, or give help....

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:43 PM
Gone Huckin'
turnerm's Avatar
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
No problem my friend....that's what we're all here for....either to get help, or give help....

SteveT
I need help but I have a feeling that's not what you meant.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:45 PM
Registered User
edf_rookie's Avatar
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Mar 2011
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
I need help but I have a feeling that's not what you meant.
Hahaha....I was thinking the same thing
edf_rookie is offline Find More Posts by edf_rookie
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:52 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
I need help but I have a feeling that's not what you meant.
Well, if we weren't so far away, we could baby-sit for you and your wife so you could get some sleep....

And my wife says I am so far beyond help, that she has been known just shake her head no, when sales people in stores ask if I need help....

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 05:46 PM
Registered User
robj's Avatar
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Thank you my friend!! But I thought it was for my handsome face and bubbly personality....

SteveT
Not that for sure....

The music!
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:52 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj View Post
Not that for sure....

The music!
Sniff...sniff....

Hotay, I'll take that...

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:44 PM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2006
51 Posts
Steve about that rock maple joiner.... Ive scoured the local establishments with no luck. I wouldnt mind paying you for a piece (if you can spare any).
Maxmannnn is offline Find More Posts by Maxmannnn
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:15 AM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,598 Posts
No problem....PM me your snail mail address

I can either send you a piece you can cut to size, or if you can send me the the exact dimensions, I can cut it for you....

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:21 PM
Registered User
robj's Avatar
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxmannnn View Post
Steve about that rock maple joiner.... Ive scoured the local establishments with no luck. I wouldnt mind paying you for a piece (if you can spare any).
generally 2 types of maple. Soft maple and hard maple.

Hard maple is the same rock maple. rock just sounds cooler.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:03 PM
Registered User
United States, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2011
182 Posts
Anybody using lite ice 75 esc/ if so what connector ? looks like the EC3s are to little for the 10g wire. just about to complete my 51 build- I use ec3 on all my elec. pulled out the lite 75 and saw the power leads / nothing lite about it. may have to go w/ec5.
or deans.
stormz is offline Find More Posts by stormz
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Need New 3d Plane from Previes gear. NoMercy 3D Flying 2 Jun 06, 2006 05:07 AM
New 3D planes from GWS? assib GWS (Grand Wing Servo) 4 Feb 24, 2005 01:34 AM
Sneak Peak At NEW 3D Plane from Dick Rankin thechosen1one Foamies (Kits) 5 Oct 11, 2004 02:27 PM
New 3D Planes from Fliton LTChip Parkflyers 1 Jun 19, 2003 03:17 PM
New "3D Aircraft" Discussion Group Proposal Tim H. Foamies (Kits) 1 May 02, 2003 10:57 PM