Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:21 AM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
i think i will do differently now.. before after assembling linkage, i put a drop of ca on top of the nut, now i will put a drop of ca on screw threads before screwing the nut....
That is what I do. Never had one come off. Definitely holds well.
ryan_m is online now Find More Posts by ryan_m
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:19 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_m View Post
That is what I do. Never had one come off. Definitely holds well.
But can you get it off? I know CA is pretty crunchy. I still add a big dab on top. But on one of the linkages I use the 2mm screws from a 25% kit. Allen and nylocs.

Recently lost a 71 to a servo arm screw backing out. It sucks. But truth be told I went and inspected all of them(added a dab of welders), on my 72 an aileron screw was totally gone!

Best thing is the metal arms with the top screw and pinch screw. Solid!
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:37 PM
Epoxy & CA Investor
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,572 Posts
if you use a very small amount of Med. CA, you can back it out. I use a small drop on the nut of all linkages. I also use a tiny drop on the screw holding the arm in the servo. I've lost two planes because of servo horns coming loose.
DenverJayhawk is online now Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:39 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,993 Posts
I treat mine more like a full scale AC... I do a "walk around" that would catch these things except for, maybe, the link coming loose in flight. Not sure if that one would have been obvious pre-flight. But, loose screws, hinges, motors, wing bolts, blah, blah, blah... to me a more disciplined approach adds to the fun of model aviation because it makes it more like full scale. It also could save your bacon. Just my two cents. And, sorry... I dumb-thumbed my first v1 Slick into the ground after just 66 wonderful flights. Gah... tough...
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:40 PM
Epoxy & CA Investor
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,572 Posts
i'll give the servo arm and horns a quick pull before the first flight of the day After that, before each subsequent flight, I'll just give the elevator servo and linkage a quick look if I can remember to do it.
DenverJayhawk is online now Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:02 PM
Joined Nov 2008
8,125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
. And, sorry... I dumb-thumbed my first v Slick into the ground after just 66 wonderful flights. Gah... tough...
You didn't preflight your thumbs?

Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:07 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj View Post
You didn't preflight your thumbs?

Now that... that would be a great trick! And I liked the v1's paint scheme better too. But that didn't stop me from buying a replacement v2! What a great plane.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:21 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
guys, i think for my next slick(i would backorder one asap if yesterday i wouldnt have ordered EF 60 edge)i think at least on tail i will go with dubro screws/locknut/nut... quick measurement says that slick screws are a tad less than 2mm?? what size do i need?
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:30 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,127 Posts
Sorry to hear of this my friend!! And yes, it is a good idea for people to look things over on their planes. I know that of late, I have also tended to be a little lax in this.... It's raining here, and looks like it will be for a while, so good time to do a little maintenance!!

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:30 PM
Joined Nov 2008
8,125 Posts
I think they are 2mm, if not, get 2mm and drill out a tad.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:41 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Sorry to hear of this my friend!! And yes, it is a good idea for people to look things over on their planes. I know that of late, I have also tended to be a little lax in this.... It's raining here, and looks like it will be for a while, so good time to do a little maintenance!!

SteveT
yeah... and part of it was my stupidity... on a first flight i barely pulled out of downline, but wrote it to my frozen thumbs pulling stick at last possible moment... but now going back, i should have checked the plane straight after that... if 60" EF laser wont come out this year, in the end of december i might ask you for another 3615.... loved that motor! i already sooooooo miss my 51! first balsa i could harrier inverted!
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:46 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,127 Posts
No problem.....whatever you need...

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:54 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
No problem.....whatever you need...

SteveT
you're da man!
Old Dec 01, 2012, 01:12 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Having a little fun with my Slick this morning... Unfortunately I had a midair with my 57" SC and a Stinson. It was quite spectacular but my SC will be out of commission for a while!

3DHS 51' Slick (6 min 25 sec)
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:43 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Having a little fun with my Slick this morning... Unfortunately I had a midair with my 57" SC and a Stinson. It was quite spectacular but my SC will be out of commission for a while!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKk1p...ature=youtu.be
nice.

I flew mine today with better results. I got the cg issues sorted out and I increased my expo. Now it is flying like a champ. It was pretty windy here today and it flew great. Can't wait to get it out on a calm on.
Wingbreaker is offline Find More Posts by Wingbreaker