HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:21 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,207 Posts
You should have been there! This guy was NOT a bad pilot btw. He had been flying for years and had a good set of basic skills. He just hadn't flown a 3d plane very much and when he tried something that left his plane in a wacky attitude he dumb thumbed and had about 5 seconds of the craziest recovery antics you ever saw that included flying right over me and another guy. It was a total miracle that he saved the air-frame after all was said an done.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:41 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
im still messing around with my motrofly... ordered a new collar, but when i pulled the bell off, i noticed that 2 slots by magnets are filled with something... is it supposed to be like that? (dont worry steve, im not blaming anyone and soon will repeatedly ask for a couple of motroflys!)
I know...it's allllllll my fault....

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:57 PM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,051 Posts
makes a ton of sense. only thing i didnt wanna do is spend extra 200+ on a slick and pile it up on a dumb thumb move. im use to flying twitchy and fast stuff. but thats alot more money in repairs and whatnot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
One of the big keys to success learning 3d is to build lots of confidence. Depending on your pocket book... I feel a lot more confident with a $159 airframe in the air than a $239 airframe. That is assuming the other components are salvageable after a crash. Then you add to the mix the incredible capability of the slick and how easy it is to get into crazy attitudes... you really need to have confidence already in your ability to respond quickly to the plane being in a bad attitude. I have seen some crazy stuff happen when the plane is more competent than the pilot... including having a 51 slick narrowly miss my head because the pilot wasn't quite rdy to be quick on the sticks in the most appropriate way.

My advice is to not try to skip too many steps in the learning 3d equation. Start with a model that is very predictable and stable. You will sacrifice some of the really fun characteristics of a plane like the slick, but you will give yourself a chance to learn on a more stable platform that costs less to replace/fix in case of the inevitable incidents that are going to happen while learning to fly low. And... don't underestimate the fun factor of a plane like the 48 edge or SHP They will still out-fly anything you can get from e-flite.
wedoitall is offline Find More Posts by wedoitall
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:04 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
I know...it's allllllll my fault....

SteveT
well, if my next 3 motroflys are going to behave the same, i might certainly think so! :P

just kidding! :P
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:37 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingin' Wayne View Post
Wingbreaker if you want something that flys easier and still kicks butt, the 57" 3DHS Extra is the go to plane for me now. A little bigger and it looks so much slower and it still ROCKS!!!
that's my favorite plane on the sim right now.
Wingbreaker is offline Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:55 PM
Shut up and Fly!!!
United States, VA, Hartfield
Joined Aug 2011
1,005 Posts
Quote:
My wife passed recently, 20 years together. She not only approved of my flying, she even bought me airplanes and gear. I hope you all find one like her !!!
Wingin' Wayne,

I found mine a year and a half ago and we're due to get married in June 2013. It has truly been a blessing to have a woman like that in your life. She has bought me panes I mean planes and gear. Once I found an EF 70" Extra EXP for $500 RTF on FG that I wanted however the guy was in Georgia and I wasn't able to drive to get it. All hope was lost I thought until I told her about it. She said " I'll go get it for you." Well, 20 hours later I was with my Extra in the living room grinning like a Cheshire cat. One would have thought I hit the powerball or something. However, 4 flights later it got destroyed due to a connector vibrating loose. When I got home I felt horrible from what happen. All she could say was did you have fun and don't worry about it, we will replace it. Not once has she complained about the money I have spent within the last year. She even went as far as going to SEFF for our honeymoon!! Now, HOW COOL IS THAT??? I can't imagine losing that support. .
jw357_23043 is offline Find More Posts by jw357_23043
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:28 AM
I like the violent stuff!
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Oct 2004
1,222 Posts
jw my house is full of planes and my life still feels empty. I hope you and your bride have many happy years together! Just remember to treat her just as well.
Wingin' Wayne is offline Find More Posts by Wingin' Wayne
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:13 PM
Shut up and Fly!!!
United States, VA, Hartfield
Joined Aug 2011
1,005 Posts
Quote:
jw my house is full of planes and my life still feels empty. I hope you and your bride have many happy years together! Just remember to treat her just as well.
No worries, I'd be a fool not to do that.
jw357_23043 is offline Find More Posts by jw357_23043
Last edited by jw357_23043; Nov 29, 2012 at 11:02 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:58 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
and there went my slick... if on my 57" it was totally my fault for not checking servo direction... here from what it looks like, my elevator servo linkage came off... what can be worse than doing a stall turn, rolling a full aeleron and realising you dont have elevator...
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:32 AM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,757 Posts
Sorry to hear that rimaarts. How bad?
bryansifsof44 is online now Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:37 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
well... the only thing in front of cannopy latch bigger than 1sq inch was battery tray floor and landing gear block.. what else can happen in a WOT 30' nosedive... and + my esc is a toast, motrofly snapped prop adapter(need to check the rest and my bec also seems scratched up... so basically only servos goes back to hitec...
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:42 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
i think i will do differently now.. before after assembling linkage, i put a drop of ca on top of the nut, now i will put a drop of ca on screw threads before screwing the nut....
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:55 AM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,757 Posts
knock on wood... never had a linkage come off after I stared putting medium CA on the top of the treads. I clean with alcohol and never use kicker... let dry overnight. I do inspect on a regular basis. Again sorry about the crash.
bryansifsof44 is online now Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:09 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansifsof44 View Post
knock on wood... never had a linkage come off after I stared putting medium CA on the top of the treads. I clean with alcohol and never use kicker... let dry overnight. I do inspect on a regular basis. Again sorry about the crash.
and most interesting is that a) its my second time... first time was my 57" maiden.... and that i had ,more than 10 batteries trough slick...
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:19 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
and there went my slick... if on my 57" it was totally my fault for not checking servo direction... here from what it looks like, my elevator servo linkage came off... what can be worse than doing a stall turn, rolling a full aeleron and realising you dont have elevator...
Sorry to hear that man. I think I'll go back and check all my linkages tonight.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm