HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:31 AM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,044 Posts
was looking at getting my first balsa, the slick 51 is in top of my list. but was looking at the 48 EF edge or 3dhs 48 edge. will the 3 extra inches make that much of a difference? what is your guys opinion of a first 3d balsa? remember im a noob at 3d also. been flying my Twisted hobbys edge but thats it, other than normal planes. didnt know if i should spend the extra $200 on the slick or go with edges, since its my first and may get "beat up" alil.
wedoitall is offline Find More Posts by wedoitall
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:58 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedoitall View Post
was looking at getting my first balsa, the slick 51 is in top of my list. but was looking at the 48 EF edge or 3dhs 48 edge. will the 3 extra inches make that much of a difference? what is your guys opinion of a first 3d balsa? remember im a noob at 3d also. been flying my Twisted hobbys edge but thats it, other than normal planes. didnt know if i should spend the extra $200 on the slick or go with edges, since its my first and may get "beat up" alil.
The 3DHS 48" Edge or 47" SHP are both wonderfully forgiving first 3D planes. The 51" Slick is an awesome plane but a little more wild than either of the first two that I mentioned.

If you want something more forgiving for learning 3D then the Edge or the SHP are your best bets IMHO. The 51" Slick wouldn't be a problem in terms of size... It's a better plane than the Edge and SHP but less forgiving and friendly for someone just starting out with 3D flying.

So my vote is for you to consider the Edge or SHP as your first plane and then look to the 51" Slick as a wonderful second, third, fourth, and fifth plane!!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:58 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
im still messing around with my motrofly... ordered a new collar, but when i pulled the bell off, i noticed that 2 slots by magnets are filled with something... is it supposed to be like that? (dont worry steve, im not blaming anyone and soon will repeatedly ask for a couple of motroflys!)
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:06 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
im still messing around with my motrofly... ordered a new collar, but when i pulled the bell off, i noticed that 2 slots by magnets are filled with something... is it supposed to be like that? (dont worry steve, im not blaming anyone and soon will repeatedly ask for a couple of motroflys!)
Some of the slots will be filled with epoxy to balance the can. It is normal and nothing to worry about... unless its something else...
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:07 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
The 3DHS 48" Edge or 47" SHP are both wonderfully forgiving first 3D planes. The 51" Slick is an awesome plane but a little more wild than either of the first two that I mentioned.

If you want something more forgiving for learning 3D then the Edge or the SHP are your best bets IMHO. The 51" Slick wouldn't be a problem in terms of size... It's a better plane than the Edge and SHP but less forgiving and friendly for someone just starting out with 3D flying.

So my vote is for you to consider the Edge or SHP as your first plane and then look to the 51" Slick as a wonderful second, third, fourth, and fifth plane!!
I agree... the 51 slick requires a little more confidence and being used to recovering from various stalled attitudes. You are better off starting with something less aggressive and quite frankly cheaper.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:22 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
Some of the slots will be filled with epoxy to balance the can. It is normal and nothing to worry about... unless its something else...
thanks! i figured that might be the case, just wanted to make sure!
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:31 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,640 Posts
No problem
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:17 PM
Hey... watch this...
Herndon, Virginia, United States
Joined Feb 2003
782 Posts
Agree with the other 2 replies.

I have a 48'' EF Edge and a 51'' slick and the slick requires more skill to fly 3D. The Edge is best for learning 3D and is very forgiving.

That being said once I got good with the EF Edge I went to the slick and now the Edge sits as a backup plane only. Yep the Slick is that nice
Mmarshall is offline Find More Posts by Mmarshall
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:22 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,308 Posts
This is interesting. I flew in the 80's and then got back into it again with E-flight's UMX planes. When I got the Slick 51 I thought is was a complete pussy-cat. How could anything be easier? I guess I missed out on some really sweet fliers!
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:26 PM
Hey... watch this...
Herndon, Virginia, United States
Joined Feb 2003
782 Posts
Hell try a 48'' EF Edge... cant stall that airframe.
Mmarshall is offline Find More Posts by Mmarshall
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:32 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
This is interesting. I flew in the 80's and then got back into it again with E-flight's UMX planes. When I got the Slick 51 I thought is was a complete pussy-cat. How could anything be easier? I guess I missed out on some really sweet fliers!
well i finished my circle flying learning with umx sukhoi, got 3dhs 48" and was wondering, how people actually can say that its a sensitive plane! seemed nice and tame lol! (i guess comming from warbirds/cubs would be the opposite)
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:55 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
I think it mainly depends on how you intend to fly it. For general sport flying the 51" Slick is just as easy as the 48" Edge and in some ways it is probably even easier to fly.

But if you intend to learn 3D then the 51" Slick, while being much more capable, is also going to be less forgiving that something like the 48" Edge.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:01 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
I think it mainly depends on how you intend to fly it. For general sport flying the 51" Slick is just as easy as the 48" Edge and in some ways it is probably even easier to fly.

But if you intend to learn 3D then the 51" Slick, while being much more capable, is also going to be less forgiving that something like the 48" Edge.
Yes, that makes sense. I was just doing sport stuff when I started with it.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:09 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,640 Posts
One of the big keys to success learning 3d is to build lots of confidence. Depending on your pocket book... I feel a lot more confident with a $159 airframe in the air than a $239 airframe. That is assuming the other components are salvageable after a crash. Then you add to the mix the incredible capability of the slick and how easy it is to get into crazy attitudes... you really need to have confidence already in your ability to respond quickly to the plane being in a bad attitude. I have seen some crazy stuff happen when the plane is more competent than the pilot... including having a 51 slick narrowly miss my head because the pilot wasn't quite rdy to be quick on the sticks in the most appropriate way.

My advice is to not try to skip too many steps in the learning 3d equation. Start with a model that is very predictable and stable. You will sacrifice some of the really fun characteristics of a plane like the slick, but you will give yourself a chance to learn on a more stable platform that costs less to replace/fix in case of the inevitable incidents that are going to happen while learning to fly low. And... don't underestimate the fun factor of a plane like the 48 edge or SHP They will still out-fly anything you can get from e-flite.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:17 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
One of the big keys to success learning 3d is to build lots of confidence. Depending on your pocket book... I feel a lot more confident with a $159 airframe in the air than a $239 airframe. That is assuming the other components are salvageable after a crash. Then you add to the mix the incredible capability of the slick and how easy it is to get into crazy attitudes... you really need to have confidence already in your ability to respond quickly to the plane being in a bad attitude. I have seen some crazy stuff happen when the plane is more competent than the pilot... including having a 51 slick narrowly miss my head because the pilot wasn't quite rdy to be quick on the sticks in the most appropriate way.

My advice is to not try to skip too many steps in the learning 3d equation. Start with a model that is very predictable and stable. You will sacrifice some of the really fun characteristics of a plane like the slick, but you will give yourself a chance to learn on a more stable platform that costs less to replace/fix in case of the inevitable incidents that are going to happen while learning to fly low. And... don't underestimate the fun factor of a plane like the 48 edge or SHP They will still out-fly anything you can get from e-flite.
DOH!!