Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:27 AM
Santi
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingbreaker View Post
I got some SFGs left over from the mxs I sold. SHould I put them on?
No- they do not help with the slick, it's perfect as is.
DaaBears is offline Find More Posts by DaaBears
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:28 AM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCDme3D View Post
No- they do not help with the slick, it's perfect as is.
cool thanks
Wingbreaker is offline Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:29 AM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,641 Posts
Quote:
I got some SFGs left over from the mxs I sold. SHould I put them on?
unless your rc aircraft design resume is longer than Andrew Jesky's I would fly it as he designed.
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:30 AM
Santi
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
Quote:
cool thanks
Check your throws and expo to make sure you're starting off right... Once those are close, you should be able to comfortably slow the slick down post stall and adjust your expos and throws to your liking.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:30 AM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,637 Posts
Quote:
The slick is no beginner, but it is arguably one of the best all around 3d/precision/tumble machines out there..
The 51" is so easy to lock into a harrier, once you get used to it, you should feel very comfortable with it. Be careful though, once you get used to it you may not want to fly anything else! I would make sure you start with medium rates and expos over 50. For your high rates, you may need rates around 70. It's all personal feel, but the 51" is a bird I would not get rid of. There is a reason they have so many obsessed fans!

The edges are great as well, with their straight leading edge, they are very predictable and great for learning 3d.. I had the 48" and 60" edge from EF and loved them both, but once I got a 51" and 71" slick, the edges were sold off!

You can't go wrong with any of the planes you mentioned, but you have an all star bird in your hands, I would give it a bit more time before ditching it. The slicks do have a few behaviors that make them a bit different, but once you get locked in, it's hard to put down the Tx!
cool, yeah i figured my expo was low at high rates. I was running in the 40's - 50's. Maybe increasing that will help the enjoyment too. my throws were by the manual though.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:45 AM
Santi
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
Quote:
cool, yeah i figured my expo was low at high rates. I was running in the 40's - 50's. Maybe increasing that will help the enjoyment too. my throws were by the manual though.
I think I'm around 60-75 on high rates expo on all my surfaces. I started at 70 and adjusted from there. Not enough rudder expo can really hurt harrier stability too, so mess with that a bit..

If you are comfortable flying and can fly 3d on a foamy, you can make the slick work, it may just take a bit of time to get used to... But feel comfortable that it's a proven design that works for many of us addicts!
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:00 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,856 Posts
Quote:
You can turn the aileron throws down a bit if you need to...

I know when I was learning rollers on the 51 slick I turned my aileron throws down a bit.

As far as finding something else rather than the slick I think you are nuts! I wish I had my 51 slick back every time I went out flying. It is a fantastic plane and I was bored flying anything else. My poor 48" edge got almost zero flying time while the slick was in good health. Now that the slick is dead I fly the 48 edge a lot and have found a new respect for it but the slick was WAY MORE FUN TO FLY!!
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:04 PM
Santi
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post

I know when I was learning rollers on the 51 slick I turned my aileron throws down a bit.

As far as finding something else rather than the slick I think you are nuts! I wish I had my 51 slick back every time I went out flying. It is a fantastic plane and I was bored flying anything else. My poor 48" edge got almost zero flying time while the slick was in good health. Now that the slick is dead I fly the 48 edge a lot and have found a new respect for it but the slick was WAY MORE FUN TO FLY!!
+1 on everything. Slick turned my edge into a dust collector, and I also had to turn down my ailerons while learning!
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:06 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,637 Posts
OK, sticking with it.... Thanks. Will report progress over the winter. I'll be flying more now that it has cooled off here in FL.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:07 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post

Couldn't agree more. The Slick will be the best plane you've ever flown even if you only use it for sport flying. It's just one of those airframes that I'll ever be without.

My 48" Edge is also collecting dust these days. I take it up every now and then but mainly out in front of my house for a quick late evening flight or two. It rarely goes to the field with me. But since it was my first 3D plane I'm kinda emotionally attached to it... I won't ever sell it.
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:09 PM
Santi
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
Quote:
OK, sticking with it.... Thanks. Will report progress over the winter. I'll be flying more now that it has cooled off here in FL.
I feel better about myself today! Keep us posted!

Just for frame of reference, I started back in the hobby this march, and since then I've owned a 42", 51", 70", and 71" Slick.. I'm currently gathering the materials for my 89" Slick build.. Be careful, they are addicting!
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:20 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,404 Posts
My brother hated a slick when he first started in 3d(thought twas to much for him) Now that he is gotten better he loves the slick design. Its an amazing airframe. I don't want to ever be without a slick
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:07 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,531 Posts
Quote:
I like requiring just a touch of up elevator when inverted, just to remind me that I'm upside down!
Did you mean to say a touch of down elevator?
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:29 PM
Santi
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
Did you mean to say a touch of down elevator?
yes i did... meant touch of up stick... thank you
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:38 AM
I like the violent stuff!
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Oct 2004
1,181 Posts
Wingbreaker if you want something that flys easier and still kicks butt, the 57" 3DHS Extra is the go to plane for me now. A little bigger and it looks so much slower and it still ROCKS!!!
Wingin' Wayne is offline Find More Posts by Wingin' Wayne