Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:23 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,125 Posts
Nooo.. don't CA the collar

If the allen key is slipping round in the set screw then you probably need to treat yourself to a quality allen ket. Best ones I've come across are Bondhus allen keys, they are made from some fancy alloy that's really tough. get them nice and tight with a quality key and put a little Blue Loctite on the set screws to stop them slackening any you should be good.

Use the plain end of the key to tighten, not the ball end (if fitted).
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:39 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Nooo.. don't CA the collar

If the allen key is slipping round in the set screw then you probably need to treat yourself to a quality allen ket. Best ones I've come across are Bondhus allen keys, they are made from some fancy alloy that's really tough. get them nice and tight with a quality key and put a little Blue Loctite on the set screws to stop them slackening any you should be good.

Use the plain end of the key to tighten, not the ball end (if fitted).
why not? instead of loctite on every ballink servo screw, on every wheel collar and all that stuff, i have been using thick CA and so far i have been quite happy! it comes out very easy... im not about to use it on screw heads or screw threads like i did once with hacker prop adapter on my first motor... only uhu por there... and its not my screwdriver thats slipping, i have feeling that after 3x retightening collar im starting to strip that small black screw inside... im using align screwdriver! wery good also....
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Last edited by rimaarts; Nov 24, 2012 at 04:50 AM.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:30 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,444 Posts
If you have not already, grind a flat spot on the shaft for the set screw.
Siick the motor in a plastic bag and poke the end of the shaft through to keep the grinding dust from going into the motor.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:53 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
If you have not already, grind a flat spot on the shaft for the set screw.
Siick the motor in a plastic bag and poke the end of the shaft through to keep the grinding dust from going into the motor.

Pat MacKenzie
it has a flat spot...
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:08 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,394 Posts
A little play toward and back isn't going to hurt a thing. You don't want it so tight it binds up the bearings. Just put some loctite on it and it should move much. If you put red loctite on it it will hold for sure. You will just have to heat that part up with a lighter to burn off the loctite if you want it to come back off.
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:12 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edf_rookie View Post
Very nice flying turnerm
Thanks man! I love this plane.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:55 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
i just stripped the back collar on my 3615... on both sides lol... (1 side felt stripped from the beginning)

now the collar is shouldered... do i need shouldered collar or any collar would do?
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:40 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Mar 2011
327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Thanks man! I love this plane.
I know what you mean, I only had around 30 flights on mine before I put it in the ground. It was flying really great. Already have 2 on backorder and just waiting for Rob at ADC to get them back in stock.

I do have a motorbox kit for the one I crashed but it will need that and a lot more work to the sides to fix it up. It will take a lot of work and may not fly again but it will be good practice/experience. As soon as I get this cast off my right hand in a few weeks I will be able to start on the repairs.

I had been flying the 57SC Extra in the meantime which I was really enjoying. Only a few more weeks to go and I can hopefully start flying again, just in time for the Xmas break
edf_rookie is offline Find More Posts by edf_rookie
Last edited by edf_rookie; Nov 24, 2012 at 05:46 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:58 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,256 Posts
Quote:
I know what you mean, I only had around 30 flights on mine before I put it in the ground. It was flying really great. Already have 2 on backorder and just waiting for Rob at ADC to get them back in stock.

I do have a motorbox kit for the one I crashed but it will need that and a lot more work to the sides to fix it up. It will take a lot of work and may not fly again but it will be good practice/experience. As soon as I get this cast off my right hand in a few weeks I will be able to start on the repairs.

I had been flying the 57SC Extra in the meantime which I was really enjoying. Only a few more weeks to go and I can hopefully start flying again, just in time for the Xmas break
I did almost the same thing with my first 51" Slick. I was loving it and then I dumb thumbed it to the ground in inverted harrier.

The 57" Extra is such an awesome plane!! I'm absolutely loving my fleet right now - 48" Edge (barely gets any flying time these days), 48" Super Vyper (brand new and loving it!!), 51" Slick, 57" Extra, and 70" Slick.

Lately I've been taking the 51" Slick 57" Extra and 70" Slick with me every time I fly.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:10 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Mar 2011
327 Posts
Quote:
I did almost the same thing with my first 51" Slick. I was loving it and then I dumb thumbed it to the ground in inverted harrier.

The 57" Extra is such an awesome plane!! I'm absolutely loving my fleet right now - 48" Edge (barely gets any flying time these days), 48" Super Vyper (brand new and loving it!!), 51" Slick, 57" Extra, and 70" Slick.

Lately I've been taking the 51" Slick 57" Extra and 70" Slick with me every time I fly.
Yeah, I lost control on a rolling circle. Happened very quickly and crashed it before I knew what was going on. Turns out I was doing them wrong anyway

I agree, the 57" Extra is an awesome plane and can't wait to fly it again. The 71 Slick will be my next plane for sure (already following that thread and starting to get parts ready for it), but may have to wait for the next batch to come in.

I can see me ending up with a very similar line-up for the field - 51" Slick 57" Extra and 71" Slick - just can't beat that combination for an awesome time of flying
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:11 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,256 Posts
I want the 72" Extra too.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:22 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Mar 2011
327 Posts
Quote:
I want the 72" Extra too.
hahaha.....I have been lurking over in the 72" Extra thread after how great the 57" Extra has been flying.

The great thing is that the electronics and the 5320-300KV Motrofly I am getting for the 71" Slick will fit perfectly into the 72" Extra

At this rate I am going to need a bigger house and budget.....if I don't end up in the doghouse first
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:37 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,444 Posts
Quote:
At this rate I am going to need a bigger house and budget.....if I don't end up in the doghouse first

Beware of the Doghouse- Hilarious! (4 min 45 sec)
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:44 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Mar 2011
327 Posts
That is hilarious - we've all been there before
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:09 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
25,830 Posts
Oh yeah!!!!

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...