HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:09 PM
United States, CA, Redding
Joined Feb 2011
1,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw357_23043 View Post
This may be the wrong thread however I was wondering how the 42" Slick would perform with the 2818 900kv Torque motor. Can anyone offer some insight as I plan on eventually getting one.
Awesome on a good 3 cell with a 12x6 APC. Stupid awesome on a 4 cell with a 12x6 APC. I run mine on the 1800 gens 25c 3 cell. It hit 57 mph on radar. Plenty of rotation in pop tops!
Mr Big Head is online now Find More Posts by Mr Big Head
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:20 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
soo.... how do i fix a tad of slop on my motrofly? i did not check before pulling the bell off for installing,but now seems that if i wiggle the bell, it moves.... just a tad left-right, i would not even worry about that, power is enough, motor is COLD after 4 flights, just that loooooud sound is annoying when flying at 8AM sunday morning near some homes....

and YES, i DID rescrew the back collar...tried to push it forward as far as i can, that fixed forward-backward slop but not left-right...

p.p.s do i NEED to screw both of black screws on the back collar? there is a flat spot only for one...
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:29 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
soo.... how do i fix a tad of slop on my motrofly? i did not check before pulling the bell off for installing,but now seems that if i wiggle the bell, it moves.... just a tad left-right, i would not even worry about that, power is enough, motor is COLD after 4 flights, just that loooooud sound is annoying when flying at 8AM sunday morning near some homes....

and YES, i DID rescrew the back collar...tried to push it forward as far as i can, that fixed forward-backward slop but not left-right...

p.p.s do i NEED to screw both of black screws on the back collar? there is a flat spot only for one...
Second set screw "should" be there as a back-up in case the other one comes loose. You have no idea how much damage a bell coming off can do...Though if the magnets are really strong, it probably won't....but saw it happen on a lesser motor....what was left of the cowl wasn't pretty....

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:37 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Big Head View Post
Which hacker and what batteries??
I was referring to the Hacker suggested by 3DHS: the A30-12XL. I'm running the GensAce 2500's with it. But guys who were posting about this were running other batteries too, like BlueSky.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:00 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Second set screw "should" be there as a back-up in case the other one comes loose. You have no idea how much damage a bell coming off can do...Though if the magnets are really strong, it probably won't....but saw it happen on a lesser motor....what was left of the cowl wasn't pretty....

SteveT
well, i can certainly imagine enlargened cooling went in front of the cowl! i just stripped that second screw... and now i keep thinking about if i could dig trough some of my stuff and find a replacement... cant wait for weekend to get some more flights!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:35 PM
USA, FL, St Petersburg
Joined Dec 2003
1,001 Posts
Rimaarts, contact ken @ subsonicplanes.com about the side to side play. Sounds like a bad bearing to.me.

Quote:

kenelder is offline Find More Posts by kenelder
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:47 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenelder View Post
Rimaarts, contact ken @ subsonicplanes.com about the side to side play. Sounds like a bad bearing to.me.
that would be problem cause im not in USA... if he doesnt sell motroflys outside USA, i dont think he will(or should or that i would be willing to wait for 1-1.5m turnaround on cs...)
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:55 PM
Well, now that you know ...
Grafton, Massachusetts, United States
Joined Sep 2004
5,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
I was referring to the Hacker suggested by 3DHS: the A30-12XL. I'm running the GensAce 2500's with it. But guys who were posting about this were running other batteries too, like BlueSky.
Same motor, same batteries.
Bigster is offline Find More Posts by Bigster
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:39 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,053 Posts
Quote:
5 cell or 4 cell?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:43 PM
Joined Dec 2010
8,107 Posts
Quote:
5 cell or 4 cell?
4 cell
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:45 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,053 Posts
Ok I am thinking you have the version one motor with the higher KV?

The a40-12s V2 I just got is a 610 KV
Last edited by Mr Big Head; Nov 19, 2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:16 PM
Joined Dec 2010
8,107 Posts
Quote:
Ok I am thinking you have the version one motor with the higher KV?

The a40-12s V2 I just got is a 610 KV
Yeah... that's an A40 though. I don't think Hacker has an A30 that low, but I'm only going from memory. My A30 is supposed to be 700kv I think. At least that's what I think the 12XL's are supposed to be.

There was much discussion about matching props to motors a while back and that's all I'm going from. Hackers were not performing well on more than 7" pitch if running 14" diameter. They were drawing too many amps and getting hot.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:27 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,053 Posts
Quote:
Yeah... that's an A40 though. I don't think Hacker has an A30 that low, but I'm only going from memory. My A30 is supposed to be 700kv I think. At least that's what I think the 12XL's are supposed to be.

There was much discussion about matching props to motors a while back and that's all I'm going from. Hackers were not performing well on more than 7" pitch if running 14" diameter. They were drawing too many amps and getting hot.
OMG I get it. You were referring to the A30 all along..... Where is the blanket over my head smiley? I am going to try out the A40-12S n 5 cells with a 15x6 or a 15x7 APC ...... In a totally different plane! No more refreshments!
Last edited by Mr Big Head; Nov 19, 2012 at 07:44 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:36 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,146 Posts
Quote:
that would be problem cause im not in USA... if he doesnt sell motroflys outside USA, i dont think he will(or should or that i would be willing to wait for 1-1.5m turnaround on cs...)
Well....I can handle it for you if need be....no problem on my end....

If you put a prop on it, can you tweak the prop blades back and forth? if not, I don't know if I would worry about it....

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:53 PM
Joined Dec 2010
8,107 Posts
Quote:
OMG I get it. You were referring to the A30 all along..... Where is the blanket over my head smiley? I am going to try out the A40-12S n 5 cells with a 15x6 or a 15x7 APC ...... In a totally different plane! No more refreshments!
Oh!... I get it. I could have come in on the conversation late, too.