HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2012, 01:16 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertzrepkeith View Post
I just bought the 71 gas slick. I have a DLE 30cc with 7955 servos through out it! Had some issues with my motor but the plane flies like a dream! When I build some confidence in my motor I am sure I will love it even more
This is the Slick 51 thread. Are you here just to make us feel bad? Well, it worked! When I grow up, I want a 71 too! Kidding... well, sort of...
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:39 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,868 Posts
Haha... it is hard not to go to every roof-top and shout out to the world that you just got a 71 slick gasser I have a 70" gasser and it is a whole lot of AWESOME!

The 51 is one sweet bird though. It is the largest no-hassle flying experience that will fit in the back seat of my Saturn with the wings on. It flies awesome and has that amazing violence in tumbles. I wish I still had one...
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:49 AM
Santi
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
The guys at the field call my 51 "the growler" because it's so damn loud when pushing high g maneuvers!

Then I bust the 70 out and it's whisper quiet doing the same maneuvers!i think they actually like the growler better!
DaaBears is online now Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:20 PM
United States, CA, Hughson
Joined Jan 2012
1,065 Posts
Lol somebody was asking on the 71 thread if the 71 is better then the 51. I love both planes.
hertzrepkeith is offline Find More Posts by hertzrepkeith
Old Oct 18, 2012, 05:30 AM
Santi
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertzrepkeith View Post
Lol somebody was asking on the 71 thread if the 71 is better then the 51. I love both planes.
They are both so awesome, if someone had to chose I would say grab the on that fits your budget and fits in your car!
DaaBears is online now Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Oct 18, 2012, 08:38 AM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCDme3D View Post
They are both so awesome, if someone had to chose I would say grab the on that fits your budget and fits in your car!
If someone asks me to choose between the 51 and the 71 I say "take two of each"!
SnowDog1974 is offline Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:45 AM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDog1974 View Post
If someone asks me to choose between the 51 and the 71 I say "take two of each"!
Well the 71 is better IMO...but a little harder to pack for some. Actually put 3 packs through mine in the front yard the other day, first time in a while. I do like the 30cc planes!
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:08 AM
Joined Dec 2010
6,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj View Post
Well the 71 is better IMO...but a little harder to pack for some. Actually put 3 packs through mine in the front yard the other day, first time in a while. I do like the 30cc planes!
Must be a heck of a front yard! I have 10 acres, but the open spaces are too small for my Slick 51 and my piloting skillz. If I were a good pilot and could harrier land reliably I could do it.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:58 PM
Joined Nov 2008
8,125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Must be a heck of a front yard! I have 10 acres, but the open spaces are too small for my Slick 51 and my piloting skillz. If I were a good pilot and could harrier land reliably I could do it.
The lots on our little street are 2-acres, the distance from the front of my house to my neighbors house across the street is about 250'. The lots are about 200' across the front and I keep it within about 3 lots. No 70' trees! just a handfull of small ones. I'll fly over m y house and my neighbors but none of the others. The 51 is pretty easy, flown the 71 a few times and a little more handfull. plenty of room for some epp stuff.

I posted a video 5-6 weeks ago.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 02:04 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
The lots on our little street are 2-acres, the distance from the front of my house to my neighbors house across the street is about 250'. The lots are about 200' across the front and I keep it within about 3 lots. No 70' trees! just a handfull of small ones. I'll fly over m y house and my neighbors but none of the others. The 51 is pretty easy, flown the 71 a few times and a little more handfull. plenty of room for some epp stuff.

Yea - I was jealous of your "flying field" when I saw your video. I can fly in front of my house too but my area is a little more tricky.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Oct 18, 2012, 02:08 PM
Joined Dec 2010
6,993 Posts
Quote:

I've got an area that's about 250' by 160' or so. Plenty of room for my Blade 300x and tons of room for the UM Beast and Sbach. Once above the trees there's lots of area to fly. I've got a paved driveway and there'd be no problem getting the 51 airborne and above the trees. I just have to get a little more confident with my elevator descent and then harrier landing. I think I'd be flying post-stall when coming in. Watching videos there are guys who could do it in their sleep!
Old Oct 18, 2012, 02:27 PM
Joined Nov 2008
8,125 Posts
Funny thing is one of our other flying buds I met at the park lives behind me and about 2 houses down. If I hear him mowing or see him outside, I'll go hover over his house.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 02:28 PM
Joined Nov 2008
8,125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Yea - I was jealous of your "flying field" when I saw your video. I can fly in front of my house too but my area is a little more tricky.
We just moved to LA from TX in March, and I dig the wide open spaces. We get sunset views every evening. My wife wants to plant some trees. I'm fighting it or want them closer to the house.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 03:10 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
We just moved to LA from TX in March, and I dig the wide open spaces. We get sunset views every evening. My wife wants to plant some trees. I'm fighting it or want them closer to the house.
My wife and I have been thinking about moving (still within the same area) and I keep telling her that we're going to move out to a huge farm and I'm gonna have a flying field right in the back yard. She knows I'm not kidding...
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:52 PM
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Sep 2011
550 Posts
Well I believe this will be my winter project. I love my 42 slick and this seems to fly so much better from what I have read. It's usually a long winter here in Wisconsin so this will keep me busy as soon as I get some funds together.
racerboy65 is online now Find More Posts by racerboy65