HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:54 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,125 Posts
My poor old 51 is becomming a beater. Got it last July and have flown the crap out of it. Several hundred flights easy. Knocked the gear plate loose on the maiden because the elevator control rod was mostly stripped. HAd to fix the elevator a couple times when I hit the ground on a harrier and it broke at the counter balance. Then about 2 weeks ago I donked it on on the nose pretty hard. Thought the MB was a goner. Nope, just some tabs came loose. CA. Then this morning as I fly lower and lower I broke another counter balance off the elevator, didn't notice it and took off again..bummer, it was pointing to the gound. Brought it in as I noticed the motor was vibrating a lot. MB was broke again(tumbles, ke spins are fun). Also repaired the rudder a few times. Evertying from falling out of a high alpha KE to pulling up to soon after taking off into a hover and to hard of a tail touch. And my CF gear looks like it has shocks. It won't totally fail like the 42 so if its a little cracked, no problem, it's got some give! Oh and the cowl has lost some chips!

All in all it looks rough but is really my favorite flyer(love the 70 but this one gets more time, I can keep the wings on). I've got a spare 51 in yellow I bought from AJ but as long as this one is fixable I'll fly it!! Such a good plane!
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2011, 03:08 PM
Don't watch this...
Northern IL
Joined Oct 2003
5,583 Posts
Ha?!

Mine has been broken in half three times.

Has had at least three motor box kits to it.

Many additional reapirs...yet not a elevator counter balance?

My tail and wings are not parallel by a good 5-6-7degrees. Can see it straight away with out looking for it (last break in half was not reglued all that true).
A couple flyers sitting and watching at a AMA filed noticed that. "Hey, that things flys great, even with the tail so outta line".

I'm tempted to get a new one, but keep piecing this together so I can get a different plane to use all the gear. I rarely get the same plane twice. Only time I did that was the 55"Edge.

But this 4S2650 14x7 -720 motor set up is a betweener. To big for a 47/48" To small for a 55". It has been said that the bipe will use this gear.

Or, maybe some 3DHS garage sale will have a 51" Slick and I can start fresh with it again.

Coo
CooHead is offline Find More Posts by CooHead
Old Apr 14, 2011, 11:53 PM
Bridgeton, NJ
Joined Mar 2009
2,083 Posts
I lost an elevator servo in a full blender and hit close to nose in. Broke everything back past the canopy. Canopy was in 6 to 7 pieces. Cowl was in 3 to 4 pieces. Totally destroyed motor box. Broke both wings at the tips and of course broke the wing tube. With one sheet of wood I repaired everything. Found a broom handle that I wedged in the wingtube to fix that. Doctored up the canopy and cowl with resin.

Plane looks like crap on the ground but in the air she still flies great! Now that it's a beater plane I can't seem to kill it. Full throttle blenders, etc

I think some planes fly better after the first boo, boo.
cayars is offline Find More Posts by cayars
Old Apr 15, 2011, 12:02 AM
Watts is where its at!
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2004
1,731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSchre View Post
Well, I might review the build vids...but I fixed it, went a little different route.

I don't know about the prop adapter on everyone else's Hacker but the one that I got had a flange on the prop shaft approx. 1/8 inch in front of the motor mounting block, the APC prop hub can fit over that flange but the backplate for the spinner could not...so I reamed the prop shaft opening (stepping up one drill bit at a time) in the backplate until it cleared that flange. Turned out rather nicely, and the flange actually now helps to keep the backplate centered.

Now I have more than enough room for the prop washer and the prop nut...even has threads to spare.
I think the "flange" is probably a Hyperion prop adapter ring for APC-E props. I put one on the shaft so it wouldn't get lost. The shaft is the same diameter all the way back to the face of the prop adapter. You should be able to just slip it off of there. It replaces the plastic rings that APC included with the props. You press it into the back of the prop the same way. Sorry for the confusion. You are probably better off getting a new spinner at this point.

Spinner, APC prop, prop washer and pop nut fit on the shaft with, like, 0 thread sticking out the end.

Sorry for the confusion.
racerxky is offline Find More Posts by racerxky
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 15, 2011, 12:26 PM
Joined Nov 2008
8,125 Posts
Well maybe mine isn't that bad after all. One day I'll clean off the grass stains I guess. But I'm breaking out the new one...yet.

I WILL replace this plane for some time.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 07:51 AM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj View Post
I've got a spare 51 in yellow I bought from AJ but as long as this one is fixable I'll fly it!!
Have any particular markings on the wings that would designate it as AJ's? I recently bought a 42" from someone and it was supposedly bought from AJ last year at SEFF. Story has it that it was used during development; and it does have a "different" 72 Omega motor on it.
StormJunkie is offline Find More Posts by StormJunkie
Old Apr 16, 2011, 09:16 AM
United States, OH, Jefferson
Joined Jul 2010
84 Posts
Need a class on the hacker x-70 sb pro esc if anyone can help or point to post. Is there anything that needs changed in the programming out of the box? Also need terminology? What is the brake and timing all about? Thanks!
booboo71 is offline Find More Posts by booboo71
Old Apr 16, 2011, 11:29 AM
ADC Vinyl
SoCal-Rancho Santa Marg.
Joined Mar 2007
5,229 Posts
the X-70-SB Pro is pretty much plug n' fly out of the package. Sometimes an adjustment in acceleration or timing settings is needed, but for the most part it's plug n' fly.

you want to leave the brake OFF. When the brake is on, it locks the prop. from "free" spinning when the throttle stick is all the way down/off.
Fliprob17 is offline Find More Posts by Fliprob17
Old Apr 16, 2011, 02:48 PM
Well, now that you know ...
Grafton, Massachusetts, United States
Joined Sep 2004
5,567 Posts
Can someone weigh their Nano tech 3S 3000 and 2650? HK lists the 2650 as 275g. The Gens Ace 2500 4S 25C I just bought is listed at 300g (going downstairs to weigh it now).

I'm considering the Nano tech 3000 for more flight time, but don't want to add too much weight. I'm also running the Hacker on a Turnigy 13x6 prop, but I'd like to try a 14x7 if the batteries I have are up to it.
Bigster is offline Find More Posts by Bigster
Old Apr 16, 2011, 03:47 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 2009
2,988 Posts
I am flying my Slick with Nano 4s 2200 and my SC with 4s + 2s 2200. Light and strong.
Vien
vienquach is offline Find More Posts by vienquach
Old Apr 16, 2011, 04:02 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigster View Post
Can someone weigh their Nano tech 3S 3000 and 2650?
I assume you meant 4S

4S Nano 2650 272 grams as shipped, 265 with the connector changed to a Deans. No velcro on either yet.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Apr 16, 2011, 04:45 PM
Joined Nov 2008
8,125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJunkie View Post
Have any particular markings on the wings that would designate it as AJ's? I recently bought a 42" from someone and it was supposedly bought from AJ last year at SEFF. Story has it that it was used during development; and it does have a "different" 72 Omega motor on it.
this yellow is just an off the shelf 51 that AJ had. He posted he was selling it in the addicts thread. i grabbed it, its the old version but a good price, and its signed.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 04:49 PM
Joined Nov 2008
8,125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigster View Post
Can someone weigh their Nano tech 3S 3000 and 2650? HK lists the 2650 as 275g. The Gens Ace 2500 4S 25C I just bought is listed at 300g (going downstairs to weigh it now).

I'm considering the Nano tech 3000 for more flight time, but don't want to add too much weight. I'm also running the Hacker on a Turnigy 13x6 prop, but I'd like to try a 14x7 if the batteries I have are up to it.
Don't have the 3000 but the 2650's come in 2 flavors(that I have). the smaller 20-50c I think is about 9.65oz, the 35-70c is 10.05oz. for me I seem to like the shorter rhino 2350 and hyperion 2600, bith about 9.8oz.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 05:36 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj View Post
this yellow is just an off the shelf 51 that AJ had. He posted he was selling it in the addicts thread. i grabbed it, its the old version but a good price, and its signed.
I've got initials in the wing on the balsa, and then there is the Omega 72 in a color that was never sold state side.

It was not really a buying point for me, but sort of neat story if I am indeed flying one of his planes. Sadly, it will never see that talent level again at it's sticks if it was his
StormJunkie is offline Find More Posts by StormJunkie
Old Apr 16, 2011, 07:42 PM
Well, now that you know ...
Grafton, Massachusetts, United States
Joined Sep 2004
5,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
I assume you meant 4S

4S Nano 2650 272 grams as shipped, 265 with the connector changed to a Deans. No velcro on either yet.

Pat MacKenzie
Gaaah! You're right. 4S.

Thanks for the info!
Bigster is offline Find More Posts by Bigster