SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 15, 2003, 07:09 AM
United States, CA, Burlingame
Joined Sep 2001
5,350 Posts
Arafat’s New Terror Weapon: Exploding Toy Planes

Not sure how serious this is, but I thought you guys might be interested to read.

This web site is famous for the reliability of its information (unfortunately...)

http://www.debka.com/article.php?aid=239
Patrick Plawner is offline Find More Posts by Patrick Plawner
Old Jan 15, 2003, 08:05 AM
Innisfil, Ontario, Canada.
Joined Dec 2000
455 Posts
Scary Patrick! I we can hope for (if this is true) is that with the difficulty of learning to fly and accurately land one of these things , will discourage much use.
George
Airnut 2 is offline Find More Posts by Airnut 2
Old Jan 15, 2003, 08:15 AM
Joined Sep 2001
5,350 Posts
If true, they won't learn the landing parts, just take-off, simple flying directions, then cut the motor and let it crash on the crowd or something.

It is not like this will make a big revolution, anyway, if true, as it's applications will be limited, compared to using a live "human bomb" which they usually prefer to do and is somehow more precise.

Not mentionning that if they miss their take-off or crash before the target, they may damage things they don't intend to.

You see, people who want to kill others, have so many possibilities that model air plane is just, one of the millions possible other ways. Not specifically more or less scary, just one way they may consider and not necessarily the best one for them.
Last edited by Patrick Plawner; Jan 15, 2003 at 08:22 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2003, 08:32 AM
Innisfil, Ontario, Canada.
Joined Dec 2000
455 Posts
There is something else that would make these things impractical,
the pilot would be very visible holding the transmitter , launching the plane etc. and a perfect target while concentrating on flying.
The other thing is that not much explosive could be carried on this plane , making it ineffective. Hopefully the takeoff will end in a snap roll at their feet .
Not a well thought out plan !( but then look where it's coming from)
George
Airnut 2 is offline Find More Posts by Airnut 2
Last edited by Airnut 2; Jan 15, 2003 at 08:36 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2003, 08:36 AM
36 Russky jets
malaysia
Joined Nov 2002
258 Posts
Dang (Edited by Don) that Arafat!

The plane in the picture looks like fun.Think of all those Palestinian kids who could become model pilots!Aeroplanes are in fact the only way to unite the world,the boeing 747 made it possible for people to travel the world and learn and understand the cultures of those from far away lands,and it made flying affordable.

It is an even bigger shame that anyone should use a child's toy as a terror weapon.
daisycutter is offline Find More Posts by daisycutter
Last edited by Don Sims; Jan 15, 2003 at 08:43 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2003, 09:29 AM
Function Over Form
Connecticut
Joined Feb 2000
1,043 Posts
Quote:
There is something else that would make these things impractical,
the pilot would be very visible holding the transmitter , launching the plane etc. and a perfect target while concentrating on flying.
hey, well, They could add a onboard wireless video cam, and hide while they fly it up to 1200 ft into the target.

But you know, I bet even those palestinians care about the price of their weapons systems vs how affective they are.
BillH is offline Find More Posts by BillH
Old Jan 15, 2003, 09:39 AM
Suspended Account
land of permaban
Joined Jul 2001
181 Posts
I think its an Israeli conspiracy to render the palestinians childlike. Theyll forget all about being occupied because theyll be occupied. Children dont mind being told its time for dinner, stop whatever youre doing.
Gman2 is offline Find More Posts by Gman2
Old Jan 15, 2003, 09:58 AM
E-flyer since 1981
Joined Oct 2000
1,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gman2
I think its an Israeli conspiracy ...
Well, of course. It's obvious! What else could it possibly be?
Michael in Toronto is offline Find More Posts by Michael in Toronto
Old Jan 15, 2003, 10:05 AM
Joined Sep 2001
5,350 Posts
Gman2,

we don't have "conspiracies"....

I know you like these "conspiracy" theories a lot, but there is not much space on our side, for these things. I am not saying it won't ever happen, but this is not our style, I would say.

Unfortunately, reality is far strong enough, for not needing any kind of invention.
I wish we would need "conspiracies", really. It would be a good sign that things move for the better, somehow.

Anyway, I don't think I will change your way of thinking, just we don't work with "conspiracies" here.
Old Jan 15, 2003, 10:18 AM
Suspended Account
land of permaban
Joined Jul 2001
181 Posts
I understand theres a language barrier but really, it should be obvious that it was tongue in cheek. The story is obviously propaganda as the premise is ludicrous. The planes cannot carry enough to blow itself up let alone others. Its obviously a single conversion receiver not able to control at any more than the same distance they could throw a rock. Get real. This war on terror hysteria is causing thinking people to turn their brains off.
Gman2 is offline Find More Posts by Gman2
Old Jan 15, 2003, 10:23 AM
Joined Sep 2001
5,350 Posts
I am not sure the picture of the plane relates to the plane they are thinking to use, if any.

Usually, when reporters write articles, they add a picture of something close enough to the subject, if they don't have the exact picture in hands, to make people understand better what they are talking about.

In this case, I am pretty sure they did not get the exact picture, if any.

Anyway, I am off. I just wanted to pass the info as this is "Debka" and they, so far, never wrote something not verified, but hey.... if you don't want to believe, that's ok.
Old Jan 15, 2003, 10:29 AM
Joined Sep 2001
5,350 Posts
Just maybe to help you understand this site better:
Read this for more details:
http://www.debka.com/doc/about.php

"DEBKAfile has been cited as Best of the Web by Forbes, selected Hot Site by USATODAY and profiled in the New York Observer (A Web Site With the Inside Dope on the Middle East), Time Magazine, Le Monde, Paris Corriere della Sera, Milan, Wired News (Debka: Conflict’s Drudge Report?), NEW MEDIA ( For the real skinny on the Afghan story), Haaretz Magazine and Globes Digital. Articles are in preparation in Harpers and Rolling Stone.

A brief roundup of their comments is appended to this page.

"

or

"
“This Jerusalem-based site has achieved recent notoriety for its tip-sheet-like reports from the war zone… Debkafile has been ahead of he pack often enough to suggest that the reporting is good.”

Forbes.com Best of the Web Dec. 2001

“On several occasions, Debka.com has beaten the Western media to information that has later shown up in U.S. newspapers… At its best, Debka.com reads like a tip sheet from the desert, from people who know… If you want to be on the cutting edge during these days of crisis and international chaos, check out DEBKA for yourself.

Is it worth $120 a year to get the news before the rest of the world?”

THE NEW YORK OBSERVER Sept. 26, 2001

“The result isn’t much to look at, but Debkafile is beating out big-name American and international news sources on several key stories and attracting flocks of new readers in the process… USA today, CNN and NBC all reported last Friday that American and British forces were Afghanistan scouting out terrorist hiding places; Debkafile had the same story days earlier, and included details about Russian intelligence officers and German commandos joining in the incursions.”

WIREDNEWS Oct. 13, 2001

“So, how do you find out what’s really going on in the U.S.’s mounting war against Osama bin Laden and his ilk hiding out in Afghanistan and other terrorist-protecting countries…? You might turn to where a lot of journalists are turning, Debka.com.

NEW MEDIA Oct. 3, 2001
"
Old Jan 15, 2003, 11:11 AM
Bend Or
Joined Apr 2002
167 Posts
Gman2,
Spend 15 minutes in Israeli shoes. Come back and tell
us all about it.
While your at it spend time in Palistinian mosques
stepping over the american flag they have at the entrance.
Ever see a Sinogouge step on American flags?
Or follow the rest of europe and be dimmie. If you dont
know your showing your colors already.
You want propaganda start with PA and end with
British press. This American isnt buying any of it.

I support the Israeli democracy til the end. I think
the Israeli's here know this. If not not now they do.
Im not shy to state my position,. Im not Jewish in any
sense of the word. But my vote is Israel. 100%.
And to all Israeli's the tune is most Americans. Dont
ever feel left alone. If Americans suffered a terrorist attack
every day as Israeli's it would be over with post haste.
Thats all I have to say.
kapos45
kapos45 is offline Find More Posts by kapos45
Old Jan 15, 2003, 01:48 PM
Plane hugging cat
Mackay Queensland Australia
Joined Sep 2001
1,355 Posts
I recognise that plane in the article. It's a "Classic" free flight cub that's been converted to R/C. I've got one. It's only got 530mm wingspan. To be able to see a plane at 1km at a height of 300m it would have to have a HUGE wingspan. I'm thinking sailplane spans of 2.5-3metres.

I wish for illustration purposes they would have used the true scale of plane needed cos that cub wouldn't carry anything extra. I wasn't even going to convert mine to R/C. Didn't think the motor would even pull up radio gear. Not to mention it would be very hard to see even at 100 metres.
Vonbaron is offline Find More Posts by Vonbaron
Old Jan 15, 2003, 01:55 PM
Plane hugging cat
Mackay Queensland Australia
Joined Sep 2001
1,355 Posts
Hey what am I saying. Maybe they're right showing a plane that can't do the job.

I can see it now. Terrorist runs down to store after seeing the article and buys free flight cub. Packs it with 1 pound of explosive. Chucks it 6 feet and blows himself up.
Vonbaron is offline Find More Posts by Vonbaron