Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 29, 2008, 08:36 PM
Joined Oct 2004
228 Posts
Build Log
Walkera 4#3 HH-65 USCG Dauphin--VIDEO 4 Blade head works page6

So I love the HH-65 USCG Dauphin helicopter and I love my walkera 4#3 so why not put them together. I will be using the 4#3 brushless set up with the Losi. I purchased a trumpeter 1:48 dauphin kit and off i went. So the summary is that I cut down the 4#3 to bare bones.

I removed the tail boom, the landing skid, battery tray, moved the right hand servo to the inner servo spot and cut down the servo holder and frame where the sevo was , removed rx covering and will remove the portion of the frame where the rx sat. The 4#3 is now down to 18 grams minus the rx and the motor with a steel flybar. The Rx and motor will bing it up to 30 grams. The heli body is 30 grams finished as well.
Add the battery and account for any unknown and it should be a 70 gram heli. From what I understand it will still fly at 70 but sluggishly and I'm ok with that. i just want a small scale heli to hover and fly slowly around. I'm sure it will go over 70 grams when its all said and done(i have a micro light kit too) but it's a heck of a fun project.

here is what another board member had to say about the heli weight after the brushless mod.

Minibichus --"It is currently running 1 flightpower EVO20 300 mAh 7.4v cell. Its got so much power that it can lift a 49 grams 1000 mAh 7.4 lipo Current combat weight, RTF is ~69 grams with a 300mAh battery. That puts it ~20 grams over what it weighted stock"

There will be nay-sayers I know but it's just a heli and a fun project. lets see if it flies.

So far so cool
stevel48 is offline Find More Posts by stevel48
Last edited by stevel48; May 17, 2008 at 07:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2008, 09:05 PM
master 4#3
istanbul Türkiye
Joined Jan 2008
958 Posts
if you can mount the components right and go brushless with the losi motor i bet it will fly.
baygenco is offline Find More Posts by baygenco
Old Apr 29, 2008, 09:11 PM
Joined Oct 2004
228 Posts
thats the plan. I have some carbon fiber rod to mount the 4#3 chassis inside.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 09:53 PM
Joined Oct 2004
228 Posts
if it all fails i'll vacuum form it.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 04:45 AM
Micro-Heli-Concepts
Australia, NSW, Blacktown
Joined Dec 2006
4,984 Posts
Looking good Steve,
would a dremel be any use to grind off bit by bit any unneeded material inside the fuslage?
I think you could take a gram of here and there easily.
Good luck,I will keep an eye on your progress.
Jason
jasonjetski is offline Find More Posts by jasonjetski
Old Apr 30, 2008, 06:22 AM
Fly, fix, repeat
Tampere, Finland
Joined Feb 2007
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel48
if it all fails i'll vacuum form it.
I vote for this option You can probably get the body down to around 4g, but you will probably have to use some sort of tail boom since the moulded plastic probably won't have enough strength to support the tail unit and handle the forces generated. You will have to mold the tail fin bits separately or simply use the original plastic bits on the moulded body.

Looking good otherwise. I like scale helis and am planning an AS350 brushless 4#3 myself. That way I don't have to worry about wheels. I think I can bend the stock landing gear to suit.

-Oobly
oobly is offline Find More Posts by oobly
Old Apr 30, 2008, 08:15 AM
Joined Oct 2004
228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjetski
Looking good Steve,
would a dremel be any use to grind off bit by bit any unneeded material inside the fuslage?
I think you could take a gram of here and there easily.
Good luck,I will keep an eye on your progress.
Jason

for sure. I can trim off a gram easy with the dremel.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 08:16 AM
Joined Oct 2004
228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobly
I vote for this option You can probably get the body down to around 4g, but you will probably have to use some sort of tail boom since the moulded plastic probably won't have enough strength to support the tail unit and handle the forces generated.
-Oobly
If i end up doing the vacuum form yes, it will need the tail boom for sure. the only bummer about the vacuum form is that you lose a lot of detail
Old Apr 30, 2008, 09:41 AM
Fly, fix, repeat
Tampere, Finland
Joined Feb 2007
961 Posts
Quote:
If i end up doing the vacuum form yes, it will need the tail boom for sure. the only bummer about the vacuum form is that you lose a lot of detail
You don't lose much detail if you use a thin enough sheet. I have been thinking about using a single layer of carbon weave with a vacuum-forming rig to pressure-impregnate the resin to form a body (will be light and strong), but the antenna of the radio will have to be routed outside then. Just a thought at the moment.

-Oobly
oobly is offline Find More Posts by oobly
Old Apr 30, 2008, 01:21 PM
Joined Oct 2004
228 Posts
if anyone is interested when this is done I'll produce a body kit.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 01:30 PM
Mark Triebes
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2001
866 Posts
I'll take one!!

Mark
MarcusT is offline Find More Posts by MarcusT
Old Apr 30, 2008, 02:19 PM
Joined Dec 2007
215 Posts
Hey, good job! One of my favorite helicopters, I was going to hand make a plug myself of the HH-65. But you got first - go for it.
It seems that the model might be a tad bigger in height than the air frame of the walkera. So if you go with the vacuum forming, you can do those adjustment there. Good job.
micron5 is offline Find More Posts by micron5
Old Apr 30, 2008, 02:57 PM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
Quote:
Not necessarily true. Alot of things can be made using Styrene. Heres some examples:
darthdrk is offline Find More Posts by darthdrk
Old Apr 30, 2008, 03:00 PM
Joined Oct 2004
228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthdrk
Not necessarily true. Alot of things can be made using Styrene. Heres some examples:
I'm building your larger HH-65 kit as well Darthdrk. So what thickness sheet are you using for you moulds?
Old Apr 30, 2008, 03:12 PM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
.020 and .030
darthdrk is offline Find More Posts by darthdrk