http://www.hobby-lobby.com/soarstar.htm
spy0o7 is offline Find More Posts by spy0o7
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2001, 04:47 PM
CharlieR
bay area, california
Joined Nov 2000
315 Posts
36 wingspan, readybuilt foam. This is an obvious copy of Wingo. It includes motor, prop, nicad, motor controller, and charger. The included motor controller, charger, and nicad are not as good as the corresponding items recommended for Wingo. Soarstar flies well, but not, in our opinion, as well as Wingo.
Old Jun 02, 2001, 05:24 PM
L.L. N.M. U.S.A.
Joined Apr 2001
149 Posts
spy0o7:
I have a Soarstar that I have flown for 7mo.
It was my first elect. and has survived getting started and only gained a couple of oz. in the process. It still has all of the origional componants and they still preform well. I have had numerous 20+min. thermal flights and continues to allow "relaxed" flights between my sport & pylon planes.
What is the total cost of the Wingo after adding all recommended parts? This add sounds like an mfg/supplier tiff.
Jim Ward is offline Find More Posts by Jim Ward
Old Jun 02, 2001, 08:18 PM
CharlieR
bay area, california
Joined Nov 2000
315 Posts
same with me, I have a soarstar. Hobby Lobby is so anti soarstar even in their ad.
Old Jun 02, 2001, 08:24 PM
San Francisco
Joined Jul 2000
982 Posts
I've flown both the SoarStar and the Wingo and in my opinion they fly equally well. I'm glad to see the Wingo is now selling for a more reasonable price (I'm sure this is due to the cheaper SoarStar/Poppy offerings) as it was definitely overpriced in my opinion. Strange that Hobby Lobby has made the choice to carry this airplane but then has gone out of their way to criticize it. SoarStar offers alot for the money but Wingo has become more price competitive now that the price has been lowered by $30.00.

Greg

[This message has been edited by greg morrison (edited 06-02-2001).]
greg morrison is offline Find More Posts by greg morrison
Old Jun 02, 2001, 08:44 PM
Sometimes it works!
Caldera, Costa Rica
Joined May 2000
897 Posts
I'm not sure this is being interpeted correctly. I have often noticed that Hob-Lob is very candid and up-front about some of their products that they find short of expectation. One often finds comments like " The landing gear is weak and won't hold up landing in grass, reinforce ect.,ect.,. Read their catalog and you will see this quite often. The Pfaltz(sp) was such a disaster that they included their own instructions on how to modify it to make it flyable!
This begs the question of "if they don't like it, why do they carry it"? I don't know the answer, but I do know that the purchasing agent and the tech guy sees the products from different perspectives. And the tech guy is VERY candid!

[This message has been edited by GYROGEARLOOSE (edited 06-02-2001).]
GYROGEARLOOSE is offline Find More Posts by GYROGEARLOOSE
Old Jun 02, 2001, 09:10 PM
San Francisco
Joined Jul 2000
982 Posts
I wonder if the tech guy even looked at the SoarStar since the wingspan is incorrectly listed as 36" when if fact it's 43-44". The fact of the matter is that the SoarStar/Poppy made many improvements upon the original Wingo (which has since been updated itself).

MicroFlight magazine gave the Poppy (same airplane as SoarStar) a glowing review and was particularly impressed by the extremely high quality of the included geardrive. In this case I think HL's opinions are totally offbase.

Greg

[This message has been edited by greg morrison (edited 06-02-2001).]
greg morrison is offline Find More Posts by greg morrison
Old Jun 04, 2001, 08:26 AM
I'm disoriented!
Mt. Laurel, NJ, USA
Joined Aug 2000
948 Posts
I love Hobby-Lobby, so don't take this wrong, but when I started in this hobby last August, I called them about the Wingo/Soarstar and they pooh-poohed the SS, much like was mentioned above.

As I was trying to limit my expenditure, I went with the SS for $129.

I love this plane, and the gearbox (1.85:1) is quiet and efficient. In fact, I'm thinking of ordering a spare GB/motor for other planes. ECMC (now GreatHobbies.com) has them with motor for roughly $27 Canadian.

HL is just responding to the lack of sales of the Wingo vs. SS/Poppy. They were a staunch Wingo supporter, so they have to downplay the SS in their ads to save a little face. Money talks..........

ChrisD is offline Find More Posts by ChrisD