HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 29, 2008, 10:46 AM
KZ RIDER
Confederate States of America
Joined Nov 2001
1,037 Posts
Question
most crash-proof 3d trainer?

I need a 3d trainer that can take a licking and keep on ticking. I think epp is the way to go but don't want it to be a heavy hog in the air. But don't want something fragile and to have to fix it after every crash. Something tough. must be abled to hover well and have ultra low wing loading for great slow flight. can you fellows maybe list the planes you've had good luck with? please include your flight setup(motor-esc-batt-etc)
thanks
raythomas is offline Find More Posts by raythomas
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2008, 08:20 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Feb 2007
472 Posts
sorry my friend but you can't have everything.
Either have it really strong and heavy, or really light and fragile (some people are going to probably to raise hell for me saying that).
Quite a few people have had great success with the Yak profile from HL for only $25 or something like that. Cheap, not sure about the build but I've heard it flies great.
Throw in some el cheapo hobby city stuff and you're good to go!

one tip: If you get frustrated really quickly when building.... thin foamy profile isn't for you (personaly experience )
windisevil!! is offline Find More Posts by windisevil!!
Old Apr 30, 2008, 09:40 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raythomas
I need a 3d trainer that can take a licking and keep on ticking. I think epp is the way to go but don't want it to be a heavy hog in the air. But don't want something fragile and to have to fix it after every crash. Something tough. must be abled to hover well and have ultra low wing loading for great slow flight. can you fellows maybe list the planes you've had good luck with? please include your flight setup(motor-esc-batt-etc)
thanks
The SloFly 28 will do what your asking. Not a kit anymore, you have to build from plans. Very, very tough plane yet light, will hover and do the 3D stuff easily.

Plans should be downloadable from Slofly.com

http://slofly.com/index.php?smit=135
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Apr 30, 2008, 02:14 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,671 Posts
You can learn a lot from the Liteflite Bug too, and have a lot of fun. Tough little bird.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Apr 30, 2008, 02:16 PM
Part-Time Super Hero
Aberystwyth, UK
Joined Sep 2004
3,289 Posts
All I can say is that its NOT the Acromaster. That thing will break if you just look at it wrong

Mark
MarkJayne is offline Find More Posts by MarkJayne
Old Apr 30, 2008, 02:39 PM
Oakland/Berkeley CA
Joined Oct 2007
83 Posts
The acromaster will break, but it is also easy to fix.

I have tried the EPP Revolution 3D- it is definately crash resistant, but I did not like how it flies.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=541910
It kind of felt like I was flying a wet rag

I much prefer the Flash 3D- not quite as robust, but a much better flyer.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...light=Flash+3d
It can also act like a sloppy pattern plane- that is it can handle speed, which is why I like flying it.

I have repaired the flash with strapping tape numerous times. It is at the point now where it is a little too heavy. I will probably get another, since I liked it so much.
huantran is offline Find More Posts by huantran
Last edited by huantran; Apr 30, 2008 at 02:46 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 02:39 PM
SF Bay Area, CA
Joined Feb 2006
857 Posts
Try the Parkzone Typhoon. It's EPP foam, very stable, and has lots of power (hovers well). Very crash resistant and easy to fix if you do break something. Gorilla glue and you're good.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ4300

The only caveat is that the supplied ESC is reported to be dicey, (some instances of out-of-box failures).

There is a PNP version available too.

I love mine.
glucoseboy is offline Find More Posts by glucoseboy
Old Apr 30, 2008, 02:56 PM
Respect mah Authoritay!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Mar 2004
476 Posts
You might take a look at the Mountain Models Panic 3D. Made of EPS/Depron. Looks very tough. Check out the video under the "Images" tab. It has some crashes at the end to show the durability.

http://www.mountainmodels.com/produc...roducts_id=234

Here is a link to a thread here on the Panic 3D:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...77#post3357577

Regards,

Gary
teamgs is offline Find More Posts by teamgs
Last edited by teamgs; May 01, 2008 at 11:01 AM. Reason: more info
Old May 01, 2008, 10:34 AM
Arlington Texas
Joined Oct 2005
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raythomas
thanks
You really can have it all in a 3D trainer. I highly recommend the EPP Stearman that you can find on this site: www.alphafoamies.com The plane flies slowly, hovers, and knife edges. It only weighs 5.3 ounces all up. It is extremely durable. Be sure to watch the YouTube video.

Ken
Big_Bird is offline Find More Posts by Big_Bird
Last edited by Big_Bird; May 01, 2008 at 11:20 AM.
Old May 01, 2008, 11:09 AM
KZ RIDER
Confederate States of America
Joined Nov 2001
1,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamgs
You might take a look at the Mountain Models Panic 3D. Made of EPS/Depron. Looks very tough. Check out the video under the "Images" tab. It has some crashes at the end to show the durability.

http://www.mountainmodels.com/produc...roducts_id=234

Here is a link to a thread here on the Panic 3D:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...77#post3357577

Regards,

Gary
Tried several times to connect to this site and it never would.
Thanks anyway.
I'll try somemore later.
Ray
raythomas is offline Find More Posts by raythomas
Old May 01, 2008, 11:16 AM
Arlington Texas
Joined Oct 2005
164 Posts
removed
Big_Bird is offline Find More Posts by Big_Bird
Old May 01, 2008, 11:28 AM
Respect mah Authoritay!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Mar 2004
476 Posts
Hi Ray,
Odd...their site must be down...I am sure it is temporary..

Gary
teamgs is offline Find More Posts by teamgs
Old May 12, 2008, 02:13 PM
America the ruling country
Joined Dec 2003
3,204 Posts
You really need a balsa or depron plane with a glass motor mount.

Do not use EPP because it is too floppy like a nerf ball and it if it rains the wings will droop.

Do not use a prop saver because a rubber band holding a prop on can kill someone when it comes loose.

Make sure your batteries are over 600mah in size so that the nose impacts will break the motor.

Make sure to use nicad because the new lipolys are a fire hazard and wrapped in cellophane that can leak toxic chemicals on your hands. When lightly poked they have shot thousand degree flames out.

Do not use outrunners because they are less efficient and have less torque than a geared setup. The friction in the gears is very little and you get used to the noise.

EPP will never offer the rigity of depron, balsa or fiberglass or kitchen glass.
Do not try to replicate what old timers have worked years on by trying to get away with EPP of any form combined with usage of carbon rods, tubes and flat carbon.

If have built hundreds of EPP planes from IFO style to square sheets to 3D planes and none compare to the most simple out of the box balsa or depron plane.
In fact most crashes resulted in the EPP plane tearing or sun melting it in the car while the balsa planes stand up to crash after crash.

Keeping the plane under 6oz is a bad idea because the lighter they are the lighter they fall. Also the lighter it is the more of a thrust to weight ratio you get and that means faster vertical, less throttle to hover and longer battery life each flight.

Beware of fads. There was a lot of resistance to EPP, building techniques and 3D mock ups of built up fuselages using EPP. This is just an attempt to get you to buy a toxic substance which is made for car bumpers.

Some planes to you need to beware of:
The Blade
The Slofly Series
The IFO and things shapes like it- one is the Bug

I am reviewing this plane:
Airworks Silent 3D EPP
http://www.slofly.com/index.php?smit=299&mid=2942
They sent it in the mail to me.
Just wait till I post how soft these wings and fuse are and when you see the wings flip up and down at 3mph you will know that this EPP is just a fad created by brainwashing advertisers who want to make a buck selling empty airspace.
sloper steve is offline Find More Posts by sloper steve
Old May 13, 2008, 05:06 AM
Cairns FNQ
Joined Jun 2007
47 Posts
Park Shark? Where's Glenn when you need him?
Sorry.... i just realised my mistake, please delete this post.
727engineer is offline Find More Posts by 727engineer
Old May 13, 2008, 07:41 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,688 Posts
Having flown one myself, I recomend the liteflite Bug.
Bugman Jeff is offline Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff