HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 28, 2008, 09:08 PM
La Porte, IN
Joined Nov 2007
207 Posts
Discussion
Need a small generator for the field

I know some of us use a small generator at the field for recharging the packs and i am looking for one now too. I am looking at this generator and wondering if anyone else is using it and how it has worked out for them...I know these generators go under many brabd names.
I would like to go out and get one of the Honda 1000watt units but they are way out of the budget right now.. I didn't really want to go with a 2 cycle generator having to do premix but flying weather is coming up fast.

Thanks All!!

Darren
DMA, IN is offline Find More Posts by DMA, IN
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2008, 11:54 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Apr 2007
4,760 Posts
Yeah, I've got one of those under another name. The gas tank is orange, it's 1,000 Watts, and 2 cycle (which doesn't bother me any because it makes the unit lighter). I bought it at Big Lots a couple of years ago for about $150. It works okay. It has 115 VAC and 12 VDC outputs.
Sir Raleigh is offline Find More Posts by Sir Raleigh
Old Apr 29, 2008, 01:36 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Most folk recommend against using the 12V DC output but rather run a DC power supply from the AC output and run your charger from the DC supply.

The Kipor inverter generators have a good reputation. Similar to the Honda but cheaper (although still not as inexpensive as the cheap Chinese 2-strokes).
kgfly is online now Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Apr 29, 2008, 10:20 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,906 Posts
I've been using the same one for the last couple of yrs and now couldn't do without it. I tried the 12 volt output on the Cellpro 4S and toasted it. Sent it to FMA to have it repaired and told them what I did, expecting to pay for it, They repaired it and updated it to do A123. Cost was '0' They are my best friends. I use the gen. for 6S2P Makita li-ion batts and don't have to worry about killing a big wet cell for charging.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Apr 29, 2008, 10:50 AM
Southern Ohio, USA
Joined Apr 2006
473 Posts
The 12v DC output on these small gens are for charging 12v batteries, not to power our A123, lipo, nimh, or nicad chargers. You can, however, plug the 12v DC output into a "Car Battery Jump-pack" and then run your field chargers from the jump pack. I believe the DC output of the generator is 10a so it will keep the "Jump pack" charged as you are drawing from it.

Before I got my Mastech, I used my Jump Pack and a regular 10a battery charger to power my Tritons and Astroflight Chargers. Worked great.

Just offering another solution if you don't have an inverter.
TooBizzy is offline Find More Posts by TooBizzy
Old Apr 29, 2008, 01:29 PM
La Porte, IN
Joined Nov 2007
207 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys! I went ahead and ordered one from Amazon.com. The one I pictured was off of ebay but amazon has free shipping on them right now for $112. I have one of the 30A server power supplies that i will be using with it so the 12v outlet on it i probably wont be using but still nice to have.

Thanks all

Darren
DMA, IN is offline Find More Posts by DMA, IN
Old Apr 29, 2008, 02:18 PM
Permanently Banned
San Jose Ca / RSA flyer
Joined May 2003
8,030 Posts
I use a Honda EM500 bought in 1986 for $200 , found in the machinery classified ads in the San Jose Mercury
hall woo is offline Find More Posts by hall woo
Old Apr 29, 2008, 02:54 PM
NJ
Joined Aug 2003
8,893 Posts
I have one of the similar cheap gen's from PepBoys. Powers my Mastech P/S and charges my A123's. So far it has not quite delivered the advertised watts but it still works well. This season I am goint to try it with higher octane gas and synthetic oil. Maybe it will not knock like mad above 15 amps at 26 volts.
mexico is offline Find More Posts by mexico
Old Apr 29, 2008, 03:49 PM
Grand Prairie, Texas, USA
Joined Mar 2000
829 Posts
What was it that Keith Shaw coined? Something like "Buy cheap, buy twice". I held to that and bought a Honda EU2000; it serves many-many purposes and should for years to come.
Philipp is offline Find More Posts by Philipp
Old Apr 29, 2008, 03:51 PM
NJ
Joined Aug 2003
8,893 Posts
Two of my cheap generators would cost less than $200. How many can I buy for the cost of the Honda exactly? Your philosophy is sound to a point. If I had other uses for it I might have spent more but it was impossible to justify the expense to charge my toy plane's batteries.
mexico is offline Find More Posts by mexico
Old Apr 29, 2008, 04:09 PM
nooobama
United States, PA, Stroudsburg
Joined May 2004
984 Posts
a cheap tool will only break when you need. Murphy's law #34
I have the Honda and would never buy anything but. 5 yers old, many hours and never a problem.
Look for a used one, age doesn't matter.
finishman2000 is offline Find More Posts by finishman2000
Old Apr 29, 2008, 06:32 PM
Joined Nov 2007
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipp
What was it that Keith Shaw coined? Something like "Buy cheap, buy twice". I held to that and bought a Honda EU2000; it serves many-many purposes and should for years to come.
I believe it's "Buy nice or buy twice". I don't have my eu2000i yet but it's def on the list. Honda engines are some of the best in the world IMO. I own a Honda civic, 400ex and a CBR900rr (a little partial to Honda's ). I also wouldn't hesitate to buy the Yamaha ef1000is. By the time you buy a cheap generator and add a good inverter for some applications it doesn't add up.
Fyrfytr is offline Find More Posts by Fyrfytr
Old Apr 29, 2008, 06:45 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
I do not own a Honda power plant however I do own Honda powered water pumps. I run them for hours on end irrigating my yard and they just purr along hour after hour. I change the oil every 50 hours and that's it. 98% of the time they start on the first pull on the rope. I am to old and lazy to fight with an engine that does not want to start and run smoothly and besides it is 410 feet down to the pumping station on my branch.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Apr 29, 2008, 06:46 PM
nooobama
United States, PA, Stroudsburg
Joined May 2004
984 Posts
the yamaha gens are not as good as the honda. My bud is the service manager for a yam/honda dealership and hondas never come back SOME yamies do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrfytr
I believe it's "Buy nice or buy twice". I don't have my eu2000i yet but it's def on the list. Honda engines are some of the best in the world IMO. I own a Honda civic, 400ex and a CBR900rr (a little partial to Honda's ). I also wouldn't hesitate to buy the Yamaha ef1000is. By the time you buy a cheap generator and add a good inverter for some applications it doesn't add up.
finishman2000 is offline Find More Posts by finishman2000
Old Apr 29, 2008, 07:48 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,906 Posts
My $150. piece of junk always started on the second pull for the last two yrs. I used to run my own small motor shop for the last 35 yrs. till I retired about four yrs ago, so it doesn't dare not start.

It doesn't need an inverter.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2