SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 28, 2008, 11:54 AM
Have you seen my nut?
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Mar 2006
2,417 Posts
Discussion
Star Wars X-1 X-wing Fighter

Not sure how many of us where flying RC in the early 80's. There was an issue of Model Airplanes News that had a scratch built X-1 X-wing. I think it was June of 1984. This plane was said to use a .25 to .32 engine. Well, I remember just being in awe at this plane. I being a Star Wars fan made me just had to have this plane.

Well, 24 years later, I bought the blueprints and I am almost done with it. I started to build it just over a year ago in my spare time. It is my first scratch build. I did change up some things from the original plans to be more Star Wars fitting. Like a full cockpit with an actuall rebel pilot, and what is an X-wing without an R-2 unit that beeps and whistles... I will be posting picks soon. I have a Atlas outrunner I am thinking of using for the power plant. It is stated to be a .25 to .32 electric replacement. I will find out after the model is done and find out the wieght. How will it fly???? um, I am so proud of my first scratch build, and how its coming along..do I dare fly it?
Lithonion is offline Find More Posts by Lithonion
Last edited by Lithonion; Apr 28, 2008 at 12:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2008, 12:00 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithonion
...do I dare fly it?
...not flying it would be going through all the hassle, courtship and expense of finding a wife and not consummating the marriage... pointless.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Apr 28, 2008, 12:59 PM
Custom User Title
Cary, NC
Joined Oct 2007
269 Posts
Saw my first Episode IV in the theater. *Subscribed*
Anders0n is offline Find More Posts by Anders0n
Old Apr 28, 2008, 01:08 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
Where are the photos?
HappyKillmore is offline Find More Posts by HappyKillmore
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 28, 2008, 02:27 PM
Miami FL
Joined Aug 2005
641 Posts
Where did you buy the blueprints at?
LS427 is offline Find More Posts by LS427
Old Apr 28, 2008, 02:32 PM
What tree?
Yucca Valley, California
Joined Aug 2005
2,485 Posts
Someone needs to do one of these:

http://images.wikia.com/starwars/ima...ette_schem.jpg

One of the most flight-worthy canon Star Wars ships I've ever seen.
Rampage is offline Find More Posts by Rampage
Old Apr 28, 2008, 03:53 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
With money, anything is possible............
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Apr 28, 2008, 04:17 PM
Have you seen my nut?
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Mar 2006
2,417 Posts
Blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS427
Where did you buy the blueprints at?
You can find anything here as far as plans go and a whole lot more.

https://secure.rcstore.com/pcd/eServ...1TVE9SRUhPTUU=

Here is a direct link to the X-Wing

https://secure.rcstore.com/pcd/eServ...N1YlRlcm09MA==
Old Apr 28, 2008, 04:19 PM
Have you seen my nut?
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Mar 2006
2,417 Posts
Soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyKillmore
Where are the photos?
When I get off work I will get some pics in. Been slow at work so I am being paid to surf and post on the forums here.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 05:46 PM
Have you seen my nut?
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Mar 2006
2,417 Posts
X-1 Pics

Here she is thus far. I have not started the area aft of the cockpit. Working on a R-2 unit that will hold and trigger my electronic R-2. I will have R-2 linked to the steering so when I turn he will light up and make a ton of noise. And I am going to try and get the mock engines done the next couple of nights and finish securing the wings. Its not a hard build, but the angle on the wings had to be the hardest.

I also changed the radio location from what the blueprints stated. When this thing was designed we didn't have all the electrics, and micro stuff we have now. The alerions have the servos in the wings, and the rudders, steering, and R-2 will be controlled by a single servo. I did opt to just rid of the rudders, but I might need them in a good crosswind.
I also did not make the forward fusalage solid as it stated on the plans. You can tell in the pics that a good section of it comes out. I have not set the CG, but I have alot of room to play with for battery placement. The brace for the rear section is cut open in case the battery needs to go aft a good ways.

I hope to have this thing finished in a couple weeks with the exception of the electronics installed. I will post more then. Hope you like it.
Last edited by Lithonion; Apr 28, 2008 at 05:52 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 08:37 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
That's awesome! I'd be scared to death to fly it as well.... all that work and it looks lo nice right now!!!
HappyKillmore is offline Find More Posts by HappyKillmore
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 28, 2008, 11:06 PM
Have you seen my nut?
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Mar 2006
2,417 Posts
Hard Choice

I know I can't wait to bring it to the flying field. And, I will be asked, at least taxi it around. I have a bad habbit once it starts rolling, I tend to gun the throttle and let her rip. As an example, I just finished my Kangaroo, we had 20 to 40 Mph winds. I wanted less winds for the maiden. Our treasurer said, "Just taxi so we can see how it looks and turns" Well, I made one pass by us, turned into the wind...and WHAM..throttle up.... Needless to say, it took off like a rocket. And the wind didn't even slow it down, so it was a good flight.......till my ESC had to much load and shut down and went into fail safe. But, all I did was break the retracts and rip off the elevator so it was all good.

Here is the link after I repaired it and had to loose the retracts. To many servos is what overloaded the ESC.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...light=Kangaroo

But, if all goes well I will really get alot done this weekend on the X-Wing. I was working on the back on paper and in my head, I might need to Y in a micro servo for my R-2 to trigger his lights and sounds. But I have all weekend. I am blessed with a wife that thinks Honey Dooos are evil, and no matter how much I spend on this hobby, she thinks its money well spent.
Last edited by Lithonion; Apr 28, 2008 at 11:12 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 01:25 PM
Who put that TREE there!!
Columbia, MO
Joined Dec 2005
622 Posts
Very nice work!! But seeing it fly will make it that much cooler
JawaSnack is offline Find More Posts by JawaSnack
Old May 05, 2008, 10:58 AM
Have you seen my nut?
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Mar 2006
2,417 Posts
Back on it.

Well, I have not been working on the X-Wing with the nice weather and the fact I had no spots open on my radios for another plane. Well, after Sunday I have a spot open.

I had the Aeromodels Unijet and well, I got a ways out and seemed to have some range issues and it flew away. It seemed to fly pretty well up to that point. We did find it but it was a total loss. As JawaSnack little quote has...
Who put that TREE there!!, is what stopped flight. The plane was at full throttle, close to 100mph I would say and cut right through the tree line. Or did the tree line cut right through the plane Sad thing was the lipo I can use in like 5 other planes was about 1/2 the size it started out. So, for us lazy pilots, a range test might have prevented this cause yes, I did not range test the reciever. So, this was a crash I feel was 100% my fault.

But the good news is, 1 empty slot on the radio for the X-Wing, and now I have more motivation to finish it. So more pics soon.
Last edited by Lithonion; May 07, 2008 at 10:02 AM.
Old May 05, 2008, 11:43 AM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
Hehe, a 1/2 scale X-wing fighter has already been done

X-Wing Fighter Rocket (0 min 22 sec)
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..