SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 27, 2008, 08:23 PM
Joined Jan 2008
75 Posts
Discussion
Tri, Quad, and Penta Blade Rotor Heads

a little discussion about these rotor heads. I'm guessing that if you have more rotor blades, you have more lift and therefor need less headspeed. Another issue i'm thinking is that with more rotors to turn, more torque is needed. With this extra torque requirement, that probably means you need higher C rated batteries.

I'm thinking about the lightning heli tri-blade setup. Anybody already running one of these? if so, whats your set-up like? Any pictures?
HeliFluyGuy is offline Find More Posts by HeliFluyGuy
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2008, 08:27 PM
West Chester, Ohio
Joined Nov 2006
1,502 Posts
You do know about the flybarless requirement with these types? right?
missle is online now Find More Posts by missle
Old Apr 27, 2008, 08:31 PM
Florida
Joined Nov 2004
6,630 Posts
They are unstable and difficult to fly.
Greybird is offline Find More Posts by Greybird
Old Apr 27, 2008, 08:33 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,743 Posts
The biggest problem I have seen with all of these is no one is making special blades for them. If you have three or more blades you need ether thinner blades or shorter ones.
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 27, 2008, 08:36 PM
Joined Jan 2008
75 Posts
I really don't know anything about flying them. I plan to fly the stock set-up for a while til I'm comfortable with it then move on. But thats why I'm here, asking questions.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 10:03 PM
West Chester, Ohio
Joined Nov 2006
1,502 Posts
Didn't mean to sound negative but just wanted to make sure you knew there's a lot more than just swapping out the head assembly. I was reading in another thread in the Electric Heli group and they're saying how a flybarless system is running from a extra $400-$1000 for a premade system. I believe there are other builders out there doing it with far cheaper gyros/setups but they've got a really good understanding as to what's needed. I went down this road in the past and decided to weight until I developed (or purchased) a lot more skill. Good luck in your endeavor and please keep us updated on your progress.
missle is online now Find More Posts by missle
Old Apr 27, 2008, 10:46 PM
Joined Jan 2008
75 Posts
Do you mean the rotor head system costs that much? DeeTee has them for roughly $250 - $350 and Lightning Heli set-ups can be found on ebay for $80 to $120. But like I said, I don't know much about flying these, just want some insight from anybody who does. Thanks.
Old May 29, 2008, 11:28 AM
Smoke, Fire, ahh SMIRE!!
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Dec 2007
1,715 Posts
The Flybarless Systems cost some money, add that to the cost of the rotor head assembly and you about double your investment in your scale build project (depending of course).

So from what I understand, and I'm just learning about this myself so experienced guys PLEASE chime in; there's the old style of doing this which was with the Helitronix mixer; big, requires one or two more gyros to be attached, good for bigger scale projects but it gets might tight with a 450 class bird (again, from what I understand).

http://helitronix.com/page11.html

Then there's the newer method of doing this, the Sokom SK360 seems to be the industry standard Flybarless system out there (so far), has a gyro built in, 19 grams total weight, comes with the USB cable for you to be able to program and update the firmware (off loading some of that work and size) and you're up and ready to go.

http://www.digitalflybar.com/index.html

So spending $129 for the Lightning Heli Penta-Head is the CHEAP part of the equation, it's the other stuff you've got to buy, setup and tune to make all this work.

And you could in theory fly without a flybar at all, 2 blade, 3, 4 or 5; but just give it a try; YIKES! I did this one time with my Lama V4 for fun and got it about 6 inches off the ground before I lost it and totaled a set of blades; it's amazing the amount of stability the flybar system provides and I can't IMAGINE this on a 450 class helo or bigger...

I'm thinking of a SK360 and 4 blade setup on my Heliartist 500D; not cheap and I'm not there yet but thinking about it... Set it all up on my stock T-Rex first, test and tune, fly it, learn it and then transfer it over to my scale setup. We'll see...
Drew816 is offline Find More Posts by Drew816