SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 26, 2008, 04:50 AM
London, UK
Joined Aug 2005
1,295 Posts
Discussion
Humans nearly wiped out 70,000 years ago

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/TECH/04/....ap/index.html

...a National Geographic/Stanford U. study on mitochondrial DNA, indicates numbers may have fallen to 2,000 before recovering to current levels
arukum17 is offline Find More Posts by arukum17
Old Apr 26, 2008, 09:11 AM
Joined Jul 2004
3,773 Posts
I read recently that people who have blue eyes are all related....apparently brown eyes are the "norm", and blue eyes can by traced to a genetic defect in one person, and the defect spread from there.
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Apr 26, 2008, 09:23 AM
fix-it-up chappie
Valley Village, CA
Joined Jan 2002
2,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usta Bee
I read recently that people who have blue eyes are all related....apparently brown eyes are the "norm", and blue eyes can by traced to a genetic defect in one person, and the defect spread from there.
So now I'm defective?
tolladay is offline Find More Posts by tolladay
Old Apr 26, 2008, 09:42 AM
Trons and Fumes
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolladay
So now I'm defective?
Me too! I wonder if there is a 12-step program.....

"Hi, I am Dave, and I have blue eyes......"
wrightme is offline Find More Posts by wrightme
Old Apr 26, 2008, 10:04 AM
Colorado Front Range, USA, EARTH, Sol system, Milkyway Galaxy
Joined Nov 2001
2,356 Posts
Quote:
So now I'm defective?
Well it didn't start now

Oh and I'm apparently defective as well....although my eyes are grey not blue....
The Other Dave is offline Find More Posts by The Other Dave
Old Apr 26, 2008, 10:18 AM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
Quote:
So now I'm defective?
Not by a long shot. This progression shows us to be Rev 2.0.
MtnGoat is offline Find More Posts by MtnGoat
Old Apr 26, 2008, 10:34 AM
fix-it-up chappie
Valley Village, CA
Joined Jan 2002
2,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat
Not by a long shot. This progression shows us to be Rev 2.0.
So it's a feature, not a bug? Cool.
tolladay is offline Find More Posts by tolladay
Old Apr 26, 2008, 11:09 AM
AustinTatious
Hurst, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,952 Posts
I may be defective....

My eyes are ... uhh, well its difficult to say . I like to trick people. They look blue and green with Golden speckles in them.. pretty weird.
AustinTatious is offline Find More Posts by AustinTatious
Old Apr 26, 2008, 11:13 AM
Suspended Account
United States, UT, Salina
Joined Apr 2003
3,117 Posts
What about people like me who have freckles and red hair?
Bilbobaker is offline Find More Posts by Bilbobaker
Old Apr 26, 2008, 11:18 AM
Joined Jul 2004
3,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbobaker
What about people like me who have freckles and red hair?

You're the stepchildren of the genetic world....you need to be beaten.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 11:20 AM
Joined Jul 2004
3,773 Posts
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22934464/

Quote:
People with blue eyes have a single, common ancestor, according to new research.

A team of scientists has tracked down a genetic mutation that leads to blue eyes. The mutation occurred between 6,000 and 10,000 years ago, so before then, there were no blue eyes.

"Originally, we all had brown eyes," said Hans Eiberg from the Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine at the University of Copenhagen.

The mutation affected the so-called OCA2 gene, which is involved in the production of melanin, the pigment that gives color to our hair, eyes and skin.

"A genetic mutation affecting the OCA2 gene in our chromosomes resulted in the creation of a 'switch,' which literally 'turned off' the ability to produce brown eyes," Eiberg said.

The genetic switch is located in the gene adjacent to OCA2 and rather than completely turning off the gene, the switch limits its action, which reduces the production of melanin in the iris. In effect, the turned-down switch diluted brown eyes to blue.

If the OCA2 gene had been completely shut down, our hair, eyes and skin would be melanin-less, a condition known as albinism.

"It's exactly what I sort of expected to see from what we know about selection around this area," said John Hawks of the University of Wisconsin-Madison, referring to the study results regarding the OCA2 gene. Hawks was not involved in the current study.

Baby blues
Eiberg and his team examined DNA from mitochondria, the cells' energy-making structures, of blue-eyed individuals in countries including Jordan, Denmark and Turkey. This genetic material comes from females, so it can trace maternal lineages.

They specifically looked at sequences of DNA on the OCA2 gene and the genetic mutation associated with turning down melanin production.

Over the course of several generations, segments of ancestral DNA get shuffled so that individuals have varying sequences. Some of these segments, however, that haven't been reshuffled are called haplotypes. If a group of individuals shares long haplotypes, that means the sequence arose relatively recently in our human ancestors. The DNA sequence didn't have enough time to get mixed up.

"What they were able to show is that the people who have blue eyes in Denmark, as far as Jordan, these people all have this same haplotype, they all have exactly the same gene changes that are all linked to this one mutation that makes eyes blue," Hawks said in a telephone interview.

Melanin switch
The mutation is what regulates the OCA2 switch for melanin production. And depending on the amount of melanin in the iris, a person can end up with eye color ranging from brown to green. Brown-eyed individuals have considerable individual variation in the area of their DNA that controls melanin production. But they found that blue-eyed individuals only have a small degree of variation in the amount of melanin in their eyes.

"Out of 800 persons we have only found one person which didn't fit but his eye color was blue with a single brown spot," Eiberg told LiveScience, referring to the finding that blue-eyed individuals all had the same sequence of DNA linked with melanin production.

"From this we can conclude that all blue-eyed individuals are linked to the same ancestor," Eiberg said. "They have all inherited the same switch at exactly the same spot in their DNA." Eiberg and his colleagues detailed their study in the Jan. 3 online edition of the journal Human Genetics.

That genetic switch somehow spread throughout Europe and now other parts of the world.

"The question really is, 'Why did we go from having nobody on Earth with blue eyes 10,000 years ago to having 20 or 40 percent of Europeans having blue eyes now?" Hawks said. "This gene does something good for people. It makes them have more kids."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bwq9BGRYrP0&feature=related
Last edited by Usta Bee; Apr 26, 2008 at 11:26 AM.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 11:27 AM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
No, it was two people, 6,000 years ago! I have this book right here that proves it! Silly scientists, when will they ever just give it up?
Big Foot 48 is offline Find More Posts by Big Foot 48
Old Apr 26, 2008, 11:35 AM
Suspended Account
ni'ihau
Joined Nov 2003
3,241 Posts
My great great grandfather ..Hugh G. Barker.
Eljimb0 is offline Find More Posts by Eljimb0
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 26, 2008, 11:38 AM
Joined Jul 2004
3,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eljimb0
My great great grandfather ..Hugh G. Barker.

Do you have to turn around in a circle three times before you go to bed at night ?.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 11:43 AM
Suspended Account
ni'ihau
Joined Nov 2003
3,241 Posts
Only when the bed is rumpled up...
Eljimb0 is offline Find More Posts by Eljimb0
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)