HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 14, 2003, 02:09 PM
Atlanta
Joined Jun 2002
776 Posts
help me build my new superstar ep. i am having problems

i got it today atlast, but guess what???? servocity forgot to send me the servos and not only this they even send me the wrong receiver!!

ok ive started building my ep superstar and i am stuck. i noticed the motors nose pointin a little bit down is this normal??
another question how do i mount the Gearbox recommended by the servocity????? the fuselage doesnt have holes to install the landing gear. do i need to cut them???? if so then how big?
i forgot to say that i have an ARF fly one

please guys help here
someone special is offline Find More Posts by someone special
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2003, 04:23 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Someone, you might have better luck with your question in the Sportflyers Forum since the Superstar is not a Parkflyer.

The motor probably is designed to have a little right and down thrust. It's normal on most RC planes.
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Jan 14, 2003, 05:31 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
The holes for the landing gear are there, just feel them through the covering and poke a hole in the covering. The picture gives you a good idea where to look. The gearbox connects to the front of the motor and you use the clambshell motor mount to hold the motor down. How about a picture of the gearbox that you got??
Good Luck,
Don
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims
Old Jan 14, 2003, 05:51 PM
Atlanta
Joined Jun 2002
776 Posts
here is the picture

its not so good but atleast it will give some idea
oops the link to the pic:

http://www.servocity.com/ServoCity/P...fications.html
Old Jan 14, 2003, 06:04 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Actually their photo does give a good idea of how to mount it. Just be sure your motor is able to easily turn when the gearbox is tightened down. Also don't have yout pinion too tight, you'll strip out the GB. Just a hair loose, some folks put a peice of paper beween the two gears to get an idea on how tight to make it.
Don
Old Jan 14, 2003, 06:16 PM
Atlanta
Joined Jun 2002
776 Posts
how does the superstar fly don... i doubt mine will because of my Hardwork. does it have any bad habits.. ill be using lighter servo's. hs-81 with 555 receiver. i hope its doesnt make a huge difference in the C.G. plus is it capable of aerobatics
'
Old Jan 14, 2003, 06:21 PM
Atlanta
Joined Jun 2002
776 Posts
now i figured it out. the landing wires are suppose to go inside that whole which was covered by the sheeting. the tail section is a challenge to build. aaaaaaaaaargh. i hope it flies... ill keep u guys updated.
Old Jan 14, 2003, 07:59 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
You'll need a lot of room to land in. If you haven't flown before, get someone to help. I like the thing it has been through some rough times and flew fairly well. It's faster than a parkflyer and needs space! You can loop it. I only flew a direct drive one and not geared. The directions are almost foolproof so take your time with them.
Don
Old Jan 16, 2003, 06:41 PM
Atlanta
Joined Jun 2002
776 Posts
everyday i am having some problems building the superstar. the manual included with the kit is not good! well now i am having problems installing the propeller.. (direct drive not the gearbox!)
the manual say to push in the prop adapter. even if a push it in, its comes off easily i am also using the prop adapter retainer but it still doesnt make any difference!! where am i going wrong is it supposed to be lost on the motor shaft?
Old Jan 16, 2003, 07:27 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
The Superstar should be easier to fly and not take any more room than the AirStrike that you are used to, even though it's much bigger. The speed is probably about the same.
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Jan 16, 2003, 07:43 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
sam, the instruction book is a fairly good one, you tighten the nut down to hold the prop on. just don't gurella it cause you'll bust the adapter.
Old Jan 16, 2003, 07:55 PM
Atlanta
Joined Jun 2002
776 Posts
i just tried it the prop doesnt want to sstay on the motor shaft....
Old Jan 16, 2003, 07:58 PM
Atlanta
Joined Jun 2002
776 Posts
the prop shaft doesnt want to stay i meant
Old Jan 16, 2003, 08:04 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
I strongly suggest you install a Gearbox on this plane. I had a Hitec Sky Scooter that was direct drive & I used to constantly "Launch" those stupid press on propellers which are easy to lose in the grass.
The 3:1 Gearbox made all the difference in the world on my Sky Scooter, they are easy to install (2 screw holes on the front of your motor) & the Prop Bolts on!

-Just my 2 cents-

Mike
mrebman is offline Find More Posts by mrebman
Old Jan 16, 2003, 08:05 PM
Atlanta
Joined Jun 2002
776 Posts
thanks don its done! i had work with prop adap, it was too wide for the motor shaft!! so i had to work on it so its stays on!

the motor is purring now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ready for my maiden just have install the push rod!

don my superstar motor shaft is facing a bit downwards and towards the left is the normal?